English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 21 July 2007, 16:54   #1
Charlie
. . Mouse . .

Hopeless Dreaming

I know threads like this turn up with monotonous regularity, but I'm curious and wonder if there is a general consensus.
( In the hope that any future benevolent owner of 'Amiga' is reading & takes notice )
-Mods feel free to delete if you've had enough of this stuff-

My wishes?
A new retro/hobbyist computer based on Amiga ip ( open source ).
1) I don't care what it's made of as long as it 'feels like an Amiga'.
eg: Hardware/software/emulation, in combination if necessary.
2) It's compatible enough to do all my retro-Amiga stuff on.
3) It's powerful/flexible enough to do other (gasp) retro stuff on.
4) It's NOT attempting to be the next big thing!
ie: I'm not daft enough to wish for a 'doze/Mac replacement, BUT:
5) It's sufficiently well supported that I can do 'normal computer stuff' on it when I can't be bothered to: 'fire-up the x86 box just to surf the web'.

Hell:- There's a guy who single-handedly wrote a multitasking OS for the CPC/MSX that has a modern browser for God's sake! ( in alpha )

6) No more broken promises! Yes, I know: That's really hoping for too much!

It would be nice to have a flexible hobbyist system for general playing. I think the Amiga could be a good basis.

Other opinions?
Old 21 July 2007, 18:27   #2
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

hmmm,

this indeed sounds very similar to a build log i know...

I would love a super retro gamming system that can emulate across the board with addons for cpus & graphics chip plugins and the such like. it would indeed be awsome to see OpenSource Amiga, and i would love to lobby for it. especially if Hyperon manage to win, then Amiga did indeed become liquidated before the IP was transfered to KMOS (in a dubious underhand deal with a company that was owned by the same people).

I dont want a DOZ machine or MAC, they are there for whatever people want to use them for, I want an Amiga not a new be-all machine, nothing will ever fit that bill. but the idea of a highly configurable (hardware / software) computer sounds great
Old 21 July 2007, 19:02   #3
eLowar
Citizen of Elthesh

And world peace and happiness and justice for all.
Old 21 July 2007, 19:05   #4
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

see i think you are getting into the spirt of it eLowar
Old 21 July 2007, 19:16   #5
eLowar
Citizen of Elthesh

"[F]eels like an Amiga", what does that mean?

I mean literally nothing ever will, obviously. So what makes the "Amiga feeling" and are you sure nothing already exists that has it?
Old 21 July 2007, 19:49   #6
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@eLowar,

There is always the search, some have already found it in other things, like windows pc's / consoles... but for some the search continues... for some it will always elude them, the truth is simple it is that feeling you had when you when you enjoyed your amiga.

as you say it may not be reproduceable, but for some it maybe.

there is always a dream, a wish a want, and from this ideas, items and companies can be born....

what wishes dreams would you have ?
Old 21 July 2007, 20:00   #7
eLowar
Citizen of Elthesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetr0 View Post
what wishes dreams would you have ?
I'm quite happy with the way things are.
Old 21 July 2007, 20:04   #8
Graham Humphrey

When it comes to the Amiga, I don't think we've ever had it so good... I mean, look at how easy it is to get hold of software on the net. Look at how much WinUAE has advanced. There's plenty of hardware and original software available on places like Ebay.

Also, we've got great forums like this one, and invaluable resources like HOL, AMR (the whole Abime network come to think of it), Aminet which is still being updated with new software, projects like WHDLoad and Gamebase Amiga... y'know, what more do you want?
Old 21 July 2007, 22:58   #9
Charlie
. . Mouse . .

Ah, point made I suspect.

My thinking:
What if A.inc fold (again) & get taken over by 'good-guys'?
What would the community want from them?

For me a 'useful retro/hobbyist' machine. ( pref open-source )
What else could they possibly do that would be appreciated & semi-realistic?
There's little point in A.inc as an OS company - AROS etc. are already there (sort-of) & a renaissance isn't on the cards.

The expanded old hardware route won't appeal to many outside a forum like this:
'Old', expensive, poor availability, hard to setup, & not so good if you have retro-hobby interests outside Amiga.
WinUAE is fantastic, but there are plenty here who prefer something 'real' never mind nostalgics who would never consider dabbling with an emulator.

My point is: What would A.inc be for?
The above are my thoughts, what I'd put my hand in my pocket for - how about others?
or
Is the whole thing now surplus to requirements?

PS
'feels like an amiga'? - It looks like an amiga, it behaves like an amiga - it *is* an amiga even if there is nothing of C= in it.

Last edited by Charlie; 21 July 2007 at 23:22. Reason: I like waffling on...
Old 21 July 2007, 23:03   #10
Graham Humphrey

Interesting views, but even if this were to happen I don't think it would be financially viable for them to produce even a "hobbyist" machine as there wouldn't be much demand for it. I'd imagine there would be quite a few people on here who would like one but that doesn't really equal that many sales.

It's a nice idea but I personally doubt it would ever be feasible.
Old 21 July 2007, 23:47   #11
eLowar
Citizen of Elthesh

I really don't see any point in new hardware* and as for software... it's a 20 year old market that consisted to a large percentage of pirates to begin with.

What would be nice would be free Kickstart ROMs and such, so that emulation could be more hassle free, but that means the death of the Amiga brand one way or the other. Either the company (and certain other entities.) dies and nobody cares about the copyright anymore, or the company makes them available for free, which means they're not making any money (and I personally don't see them making much money with anything else).

(*) The most sensible thing, and something I might actually buy, they could sell would be emulation hardware, "Amiga-on-a-card", and maybe other hardware adapters รก la Catweasel. But I'm not quite sure how much of a market there is for that.
Old 22 July 2007, 00:00   #12
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

and they said a linux hand held gamming device would never take off....

anyone for a gpx2 ?

I would love to have an Amiga on a Card, there was something done many moons ago but i dont belive it was released to the public damn shame!

i want to have an amiga hand-held, that can have audio - video out, high def gamming and expandable with keyboard mouse! CF/SD a must with a UDM type drive! (imagin PSP but an amiga ) i doubt i would leave it at home LOL

theres a lot of possiblities, the PREtendo Does Suck proves theres a lot to gaming than just a 3d chipset, and the gba still has games made for it.. wich is amazing for the life of that little limmited handheld!

Truth be said, i am not sure really where A.inc are with reguards to amiga and its community, the latter i can seiously make judgments on but. they haven`t produced anything, let alone for the old, new or possible... thier hot air has carried them off away to lands not seen or touched ... never never land i think its called.

AROS needs support... it sersiously does (and a decent installer!). it also needs an inline - emulator for 68k binaries. this would seriously spank as an OS especailly if this is transparent!

MMm nice thoughts
Old 22 July 2007, 15:47   #13
Graham Humphrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by eLowar View Post
What would be nice would be free Kickstart ROMs and such
Now that really is a hopeless dream