English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.SPS (was CAPS)

Old 28 July 2005, 04:06   #1
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Roll eyes (sarcastic) Suggestion: Compress ipflib (Amiga) with -lh5-?

Yes please. I have Stefan Boberg's LhA here which does not understand -lh6- compression mode. Must be pretty new (version 1.74 is from 1997, so not *that* old)

OK, people can also upgrade, but please also consider people who have lha on real disk or harddisk and no internet connection from their Amiga and would not want to go through all that fuss of upgrading ...

Last edited by andreas; 29 July 2005 at 09:25.
Old 28 July 2005, 06:07   #2
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

That version of LhA is a fake BTW. The last official version from Boberg was V1.50.

To solve your problem I'm certain UnArc or Voodoo-X will unpack -lh6- compressed archives, but they need Kickstart 3.x. However, since you're probably using an A1000 with 1.x, an "unofficial" LhA update on Aminet in V2.1 should do the trick. A bugfixed exec only update, V2.2, is also available on Aminet.

Nevertheless, CAPS should make it a bit easier for native Amiga users to unpack the ipflib (Amiga) archive. Someone probably used the PC/Unix version of LhA to compress it, hence the use of -lh6- compression which isn't well-supported on classic Amiga. Anyway, it wouldn't surprise me if you're the only user to report this problem

Last edited by DrBong; 29 July 2005 at 06:47.
Old 28 July 2005, 14:37   #3
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
[QUOTE=DrBong]That version of LhA is a fake BTW. The last official version from Boberg was V1.50.
I'm not sure. It is the last version posted to Aminet, that is for sure.
Dave Haynie's Disksalv also exists in a very good 4.x version and it is no fake either, but the only version available on Aminet is the ages-old Version 2 (11.32).
Not every tíme program authors will upload the latest version to Aminet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBong
Nevertheless, CAPS should make it a bit easier for native Amiga users to unpack the ipflib (Amiga) archive. Someone probably used the PC/Unix version of LhA to compress it, hence the use of -lh6- compression which isn't well-supported on classic Amiga.
Define "classic Amiga". Why do you always think in A1000 terms?
I'm sure that there are enough users with real harddisks with an older LHA, but WB 3.1 installed anyway.
Moreover, I did not want a solution from you to know how to unpack this, I do know upgrading is the "solution", I'm just too lazy if 99.9% of all other Amiga tools unpack with "my" LhA

Quote:
Anyway, it wouldn't surprise me if you're the only user to report this problem
Probably, but then because the Amiga version of caps.device & friends is not for the masses

Last edited by andreas; 28 July 2005 at 14:54.
Old 29 July 2005, 06:38   #4
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
That version of LhA is a fake BTW. The last official version from Boberg was V1.50.
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreas
I'm not sure. It is the last version posted to Aminet, that is for sure.

Dave Haynie's Disksalv also exists in a very good 4.x version and it is no fake either, but the only version available on Aminet is the ages-old Version 2 (11.32).

I'm well aware of that and I did do a LhA version check on this comprehensive Amiga archiver site also. There were a lot of fakes of LhA and LZX released in the scene and a few even ended up on Aminet briefly before being removed.

Quote:
Define "classic Amiga". Why do you always think in A1000 terms?
I'm sure that there are enough users with real harddisks with an older LHA, but WB 3.1 installed anyway.
I used the term "classic" Amiga to distinguish the 68K machines from AmigaOne and Pegasos, since the latter have more up-to-date ports of the Unix/PC version of LhA with -lh6- and -lh7- support.

Quote:
Moreover, I did not want a solution from you to know how to unpack this, I do know upgrading is the "solution", I'm just too lazy if 99.9% of all other Amiga tools unpack with "my" LhA
There are other people reading here.......they might be interested to know and are more motivated than you!

Quote:
Quote:
Probably, but then because the Amiga version of caps.device & friends is not for the masses
Exactly
Old 30 July 2005, 22:09   #5
fiath

Quote:
Someone probably used the PC/Unix version of LhA to compress it, hence the use of -lh6- compression which isn't well-supported on classic Amiga.
Your right. What do you mean by "well-supported" though? Is there a version of LHA that supports it? or not? If not, I'll repackage the archives...

Quote:
Right again, this is the first time this has come up. Nobody else has had a problem and we do get occisional mails about the Amiga version.

Quote:
I did not want a solution from you to know how to unpack this, I do know upgrading is the "solution", I'm just too lazy if 99.9% of all other Amiga tools unpack with "my" LhA
Err,,, Well, if that is the case, surely it is not our problem? Just upgrade.
Old 31 July 2005, 01:00   #6
RetroMan

Quote:
But do you also know that every version higher than 2 (11.32) is NOT free ???
Old 05 August 2005, 06:18   #7
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroMan
But do you also know that every version higher than 2 (11.32) is NOT free ???
I was going to point that out too, but I didn't want to open up another can of worms!
Old 05 August 2005, 06:55   #8
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
Someone probably used the PC/Unix version of LhA to compress it, hence the use of -lh6- compression which isn't well-supported on classic Amiga.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiath
Your right. What do you mean by "well-supported" though? Is there a version of LHA that supports it? or not? If not, I'll repackage the archives...
My first post in this thread answers your question. For clarity, OS 3.5/3.9 users will have no problems as the bundled dearchiver (UnArc) will handle LhA archives using -lh6- compression. For WB 1.x/2.x/3.1 users the waters become muddy. While there is a 68K port of the PC/Unix version of LhA on Aminet that these users can use, it is quite dated, somewhat buggy and probably unknown to 99% of Amiga users. To avoid problems, though, it would probably be quicker and easier just to re-compress your IPF(Amiga) lib with LhA using -lh5- compression, or simply offer it in LZX format as well as LhA (like Bert Jahn does with WHDLoad).
Old 05 August 2005, 17:11   #9
fiath

Okay, thanks for the info. I'll recompress when I get some time.