English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Amiga Magazine Rack > AMR contributions

Old 05 January 2008, 00:05   #1
Graham Humphrey

Coverdisk scans?

Hey guys, browsing AMR I notice there's quite a few coverdisks you don't have pics of (or at least, they're not online) - namely a lot of AUI disks which I have (I have all of them between December '95 and February '97, and some others from before that), and some Amiga Format CDs too, and maybe some others when I have a proper look.

Now I don't have a scanner, but my brother bought a digital camera yesterday so I'm wondering if I could take pictures of the disks using this, if you're interested in them?

I'd be happy to do them for you if this is okay, plus any others I may stumble across when I take a look over the weekend.
Old 07 January 2008, 00:05   #2
Graham Humphrey

Bump

So is this of interest then?
Old 07 January 2008, 05:57   #3
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

If the photos come out at a decent quality then sure we would be interested. Might be best to upload a few test shots to see what they are like. We are flat out at the moment with real life though so cannot always give instant replies!
Old 07 January 2008, 10:02   #4
Graham Humphrey

Okay, cheers for the response Codetapper, I'll take a few when I get some time (yep, that damn real life again)
Old 18 January 2008, 01:32   #5
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

i have a seriously large number of coverdisks that are about to be sorted through

Amiga Power, Amiga Format should be every issue.
A lot of the early Amiga Computings, some mid-period CU Amiga, and probably a few others at random too.

edit: i see i'm an idiot and i dont need to ask about where to find missing data.

will it be be ok to submit scans "unprocessed" - i.e. say 300 dpi scans as high quality JPGs? I dont mind uploading to my own space because i realise this may cause some inconvenience.

for example::

http://amigaonline.condor.serverpro3...AP62_AF10.jpeg

on a side note, i've jumped over to sorting these out (ahead of other things i need to sort) when i noticed this Amiga Computing coverdisk adz....

http://amr.abime.net/issue_551_coverdisks

... actually contains coverdisk 001 - i -really- wanted to play 'Track Record' too! i am now pondering if any of the others might be wrong? the ADZ is labelled correct but when loaded contains the demos of 'Raider' and 'Trained Assassin' which is from CD001 - http://amr.abime.net/issue_548_coverdisks

Last edited by Hungry Horace; 18 January 2008 at 03:47.
Old 18 January 2008, 07:56   #6
Galaxy

@Hungry Horace: Unprocessed is fine - i usually scan 5 disks at the same time. When you scan please do this with the lid up (so they are on a black background). You are also welcome to upload stuff to the HOL contributor ftp (just let us know). If possible could you please upload a pile of scans as a zip that would help us when it comes to downloading them (so we're not downloading lots and lots of files).

I'll look into the incorrect AC disk - there might be the odd wrongly labelled disk - if you find any let us know so we can correct them.
Old 18 January 2008, 12:36   #7
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

no problems. glad to contribute where i can.
Old 26 January 2008, 16:18   #8
niobyte
AMR / HOL Contributor

Hi all,

I am currently in the process of scanning a whole heap of the Amiga User International disks. I recently also created disk images and de-packed a whole heap onto multiple disks. As discussed with galaxy some time ago. I am still in the process of re-naming them and going to contribute them to the Amiga Magazine Rack.

I have the following AUI disks & de-packed (Diskspare) images:

-AUI 1995-

February 1995
May 1995
September 1995
October 1995
December 1995

- AUI 1996 -

January 1996
February 1996
March 1996
April 1996
May 1996
June 1996
July 1996
September 1996
October 1996
December 1996

- AUI 1997 -

January 1997
March 1997

That's all the AUI disks with disk images created. There may be others that require scanning. Some are in the process of being done. I have been busy scanning boxscans, diskscans, miscshots, etc. For HOL for my next batch update.

Also due to Real Lifeā„¢ is the reason for the time taken to get around to contributing to AMR, lol.

Here are some that are ready for upload to AMR:

AUI Febraury 1996 - Volume 10 No. 2 - Disk1 (Disk 75)

AUI October 1996 - Volume 10 No. 10 - Disk1 (Disk 91)

Expect more soon

Last edited by niobyte; 26 January 2008 at 19:00.
Old 26 January 2008, 16:59   #9
DamienD
Banned

You sure have been busy niobyte

Nice work and thanks for all effort you've put in, I'm sure it's much appreciated by everyone.
Old 26 January 2008, 17:12   #10
Graham Humphrey

Awesome... they're the ones I have, but it's not a lot of use trying to take pics of them with a digital camera, they don't really come out very well (at least with the camera I use anyway).
Old 26 January 2008, 19:06   #11
niobyte
AMR / HOL Contributor

@Graham,

it defiantely would be pretty hard trying to take photos of disks, especially since lighting is a major issue.

One thing I must admit is that doing the disk dumps of these diskspare disks took quite some time, lol.

Since some of the AUI coverdisks un-compress onto usually 6 -> 8 disks each issue.

Great thing is I made sure I used blank sealed un-used Sony and Verbatim 2DD disks I had laying around so that I could make sure that the copying that was being done was genuine and error free.

I am surprised how long it takes to copy diskspare disks. It takes ages when compared to copying an ordinary AmigaDOS/FFM formatted floppy disk. Each disk image that was made by diskspare would usually take 3 -> 6 minutes to copy each disk then the issue of disk swapping being a pain also.

Even on a 68060 it took this time, although, the disk drive wouldn't help that. I am still a little puzzled to how diskspare works.

I guess DiskSpare is an Amiga Disk Format that has a track length hack which allows for a larger capacity to be accessible on Double Density disks. I remember reading somewhere that diskspare format allows for an Amiga DD disk to have a capacity of around 980K which is around Track 80 or there abouts.

Last edited by niobyte; 26 January 2008 at 19:25. Reason: Update
Old 26 January 2008, 19:15   #12
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

keep us updated on what AUI disks are remaining etc

i found a few in my collection (they certainly never belonged to me!)
Old 26 January 2008, 19:33   #13
niobyte
AMR / HOL Contributor

@Hungry Horace,

would you be able to make an entry here of the AUI disks that you have in your collection and compare it to mine.

Since mine are basically done (except some of the diskscans).

All that is left to do with mine is rename them to the appropriate names. Since this will cut down the time taken to add them into AMR.

What I may do is potentially add the diskimages to the HOL FTP first then the DiskScans (that's what I did last time). Although with this contribution I am unsure what CodeTapper and Galaxy are going to do with the unpacked disks for each of the issues. Since some of the issues consist of around 6 -> 8 disks.

I guess just have a seperate table with the appropriate information that is found on each un-packed disk. Although, this may require the layout to be modified.

If you want to know what AMR is missing thus far regarding AUI Magazine data:
Click Here

Last edited by niobyte; 26 January 2008 at 19:42.
Old 26 January 2008, 19:48   #14
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

cool. i will do.

need to log all my disks anyway and compare to the AMR audits anyhow. I'll post up the AUI ones for you when i do that.
Old 26 January 2008, 19:58   #15
Galaxy

Nice scans NioByte - I've added them to AMR.

Thx!
Old 26 January 2008, 20:32   #16
niobyte
AMR / HOL Contributor

@Galaxy,

thanks. There are many more to come. Should hopefully be all done later today some time. Some cool rare and extremely rare HOL contribs coming too for Cody to add if he is around

I will just say "Golden Eagle" is one of them. Also some more Extremely Rare Spanish published games by ERBE. That will be added into my HOL Contribs thread when that is done.
Old 28 January 2008, 14:50   #17
niobyte
AMR / HOL Contributor

Hi all,

I have now uploaded some more AUI diskscans to be included in the AMR.

The following are now in the HOL Incoming FTP waiting for either codetapper or galaxy to add:

AUI October 1995 diskscan - Disk 1
AUI March 1996 diskscans - Disk 1 & 2
AUI May 1996 diskscan - Disk 1
AUI June 1996 diskscan - Disk 1
AUI September 1996 diskscan - Disk 1 & 2
AUI October 1996 diskscan - Disk 2 (since above diskscan - Disk 1, was already added. since it was posted in this thread)
AUI March 1997 diskscans - Disk 1 & 2

Many more are left to rename and resize to 320 Pixels.

These will hopefully be finished by late this week.

Then I will scan the remainder other diskscans that I need to do for previous disk images contributed. See last thread in this AMR contributions section created by me for details.

Thanks.