English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 02 June 2003, 05:04   #1
Blackjackel6

Send a message via ICQ to Blackjackel6
Whale's Voyage

having some trouble with WHALE'S VOYAGE. i really want to play this game but once i land on the planet i can't work out what the hell your meant to do.

when i click the arrows a bit i eventually find a line of dudes walking around and bump into them but otherwise i cant work out where im going. it all looks the same and there is no indication of where i am or if i move foward/back. the horizon moves when i move left/right though i think.

what do i do??
Old 02 June 2003, 13:26   #2
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
SPOILER ALERT!
Here's the complete solution of the game I supported to Tim Trepanier's Ami Cheats, which went offline some years ago due to lacks of time.
Old 04 June 2003, 00:06   #3
Blackjackel6

Thumbs down no good at all

"You start off on the "Whale". At first, you need to land on Castra, because you're starting as a character, who's devoid of any financial power.

Now go to Greg Morgan, who's on the west side in a niche after you've crossed a shopping passage, and ask him what he's doing and how you could help him. The only way of killing time is to roam around, because you cannot get hold of a shrinking device at this early stage."

This does not tell me how the hell to do this. It just says (as you can see) to land on the planet and go visit greg morgan. What i can't work out is the navigation on the planet. How am i supposed to find greg morgan? i can't even find a variation in the landscape. is there a MAP key or something???
somebody out there must know..
Old 04 June 2003, 00:16   #4
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
?

Do one yourself!
Seriously, or how do YOU think I solved King's Quest 1 back in 1983 on my IBM PC?
Naaah. No internet at all. And no search engines, either!
And magazines taking 4 weeks until you got a solution or a map. So I drew them myself. Where's the problem?!

It's a VERY common adventure characteristic that you don't get a map or sort of thing, or worse, you have to distinguish yourself to get one! [KQ III, inside the wardrobe]
Old 04 June 2003, 01:47   #5
Drake1009

Afaik Whale's voyage wasn't that hard to maneuver around, well I didn't ever get off the first planet but the scenery changed as I walked just like it does in eye of the beholder or Pools of Radiance. If it looks completely the same with not a difference I'd say you have a bad version of the game and might want to try going to look for another one, see if that's better. As for navigating, according to the walkthrough you can buy a compass at some point.

never got that much into Whale's voyage. Both 1 and 2 seemed like cool games, but since I've only got german PC versions I haven't played them that much.
Old 05 June 2003, 02:29   #6
Blackjackel6

big deal

kings quest 1 wasnt hard. i dont see why anyone would require a map for a graphic adventure, the scenery is very distinguishable from one screen to the next.

tried a different whale's voyage and its the same.
do i need to post a screenshot?

yes, you got the eye of the beholder/dungeon master-like idea right. thats where i am.

i can continuly move in the same direction for an infinite amount of time with no change in the scenery apart from the scrolling of the city skyline. weirdly the floor does not scroll.

eventually there is a LINE of people who are all identicle who i bump into and my character says "opps excuse me"

then the line move away all together. i can follow them infinitely.

this certainly can't be normal can it? anyone?
Old 05 June 2003, 02:44   #7
Blackjackel6

Exclamation look what i have discovered...

I DONT HAVE ANY BUILDINGS!!

i found this screenshot on underdogs. this is what mine looks like but there are no buildings!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	whale.jpg
Views:	508
Size:	13.0 KB
ID:	5168  
Old 05 June 2003, 08:16   #8
Drake1009

Well if you've tried another version it must be your configuration or something then if it isn't a buggered version. I'd upload a config or a version of the game if I had it lying around and knew how to get it working. Can anyone help here?
Old 06 June 2003, 12:58   #9
Blackjackel6

funny thing..

I get no buildings on my REAL amiga and on several config settings using the LATEST winuae.

my real amiga:
A2000HD
ECS (agnus)
kick3.1
O.S 3.1
5meg RAM (think its 1mb chip and 4 fast)

plus the usaul extras like another floppy drive, extra harddisk and a cdrom drive but these things have no influence on the game.

i've tried using every possible chipset on winuae. my version is not properly aga compat so thats not the issue.