English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene > Member Introductions

Old 21 July 2010, 14:58   #1
midnitoker

Just a quick intro

Hi all,

At my age I could be called a veteran, as I started in mainframes in `64, graduated to Speccy in `80 and Amiga in `89. However, two years ago my A4000 broke, then last year the Blizz `030 in my A1200 followed, so since then things have been - erm - stagnating...

Sure, I just built myself a 64-bit dual AMD at 2.6GHz, on a MSI mobo, but it runs WinXP (when I can be bothered) and mostly GNU/linux (debian), but where is the fun in that?

I also have a 9-year old Celeron 1GHz, which I acquired in `05 to get to YouTube, but that doesn`t like to be expanded, so it`s just chugging away as a mail and web-server on its 20gig drive, while I finally decided to install Icaros on this new box where I have plenty of hard drive space.

So now I have my work cut out - AROS can only run on my ATI Radeon as ALSA, and neither networking, nor audio seem to work yet. Need to port some drivers from the linux world, it seems. This machine is fully open source compatible, right down to its BIOS with OpenCore, I made sure of that

What I am really looking forward to, is the Natami, as then I can install my last OS3.9 setup from my A4k, which I sometimes revisit under UAE.

Well, I guess this should do for an intro, I think we all need to keep some things secret - or where would we be without any mystery?

C`ya,

Paul.
Old 21 July 2010, 15:09   #2
prowler
Global Moderator

Hi Paul, and welcome to EAB!

You're not the only one looking forward to the Natami! However, it seems we're in for a long wait...
Old 21 July 2010, 15:40   #3
midnitoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
Hi Paul, and welcome to EAB!

You're not the only one looking forward to the Natami! However, it seems we're in for a long wait...

Why? Last I heard was that the board was being finalised, and even the `050 seems to be working, as I read here, just last night in Coders Heaven.

I do recall, it was supposed to be out last September, though I never did take that for granted, back then. The Amiga world moves rather slowly these days, unlike `85-`94.

Hmm, those were the days...

Oh, and thanks for the welcome.
Old 21 July 2010, 15:45   #4
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnitoker View Post
Why?
If you've got time, have a look at this thread.
Old 21 July 2010, 15:47   #5
midnitoker

Quote:

Wow, that really was quick - I barely refreshed the page...

Now off to that thread.
Old 21 July 2010, 15:50   #6
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
/me wonders if alexh actually won any money
Old 21 July 2010, 17:03   #7
midnitoker

Quote:
Wow, that really was quick - I barely refreshed the page...

Now off to that thread.

Actually, I shouldn`t have bothered, it is ancient! Well, the last post is 6 months old.

Not to mention that it`s full of assumptions and negativity - sure, things do take a while and the original team might have been overly optimistic, but I still believe it will happen sooner or later.

Just before my A1200 packed up, I managed to finish a CPU benchmark program on it, which we (I was on the team) used to optimise the `050. However, I`m not into FPGA coding, too old to learn new tricks too, so I felt a bit left out.

Now with AROS, it`s different as it is still just C, right down my alley. And eventually it will run on the Natami too. If you bother to read some of the forums there, you`ll find it has been discussed, and the plan is quite solid. Just needs a few more enthusiastic devs to make it real.
Old 21 July 2010, 17:13   #8
ck1200
CBM & Retro Mad

Send a message via MSN to ck1200 Send a message via Yahoo to ck1200
welcome to the forum
Old 21 July 2010, 17:14   #9
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Just before my A1200 packed up, I managed to finish a CPU benchmark program on it, which we (I was on the team) used to optimise the `050. However, I`m not into FPGA coding, too old to learn new tricks too, so I felt a bit left out.

Now with AROS, it`s different as it is still just C, right down my alley. And eventually it will run on the Natami too. If you bother to read some of the forums there, you`ll find it has been discussed, and the plan is quite solid. Just needs a few more enthusiastic devs to make it real.
Thanks for the Info, Paul!

As I have said, you're not alone in looking forward to the Natami's eventual release and, at this point (some two years after the initially anticipated launch date) we could certainly do with a fresh cause for optimism.
Old 22 July 2010, 09:28   #10
midnitoker

Quote:
Thanks for the Info, Paul!

As I have said, you're not alone in looking forward to the Natami's eventual release and, at this point (some two years after the initially anticipated launch date) we could certainly do with a fresh cause for optimism.

You seem to know your Amiga, or what makes it, therefore you deserve to know - and I`m happy to share. We`ve all been in the dark far too long. As for me, there is no other new Amiga, not even the PPC based OS4 with neither chip-set nor native apps. And (partial) MP! It`s like putting extra wheels on a bike because two are considered "unsafe". So only the name remains. Natami will run all our old 68k programs - or we ask the team to debug it.

Although I don`t think it should take yet another two years, there`s still some way to go. See this thread. Concerning my own post there, had I been asked by the right person, instead of a messenger - but better leave any bitching out of here...

AROS has a real community, no "boss" figure to use and abuse you, respect reigns supreme, and the OS has been taking strides lately. The other week someone even offered to pick up its long stagnant 68k branch - now there`s a hero, IMO, he`ll have plenty to do for a while.
Old 22 July 2010, 09:34   #11
midnitoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ck1200 View Post
welcome to the forum
Thanks, ck, even if you`re a man of very few words. And if I had your attic, I`d never venture outside either...
Old 22 July 2010, 09:48   #12
ck1200
CBM & Retro Mad

Send a message via MSN to ck1200 Send a message via Yahoo to ck1200
lol thanks for the attic compliment I read your first post fully but was multi tasking as per when i seen your thread .... but always nice to see more people joining.

hope you enjoy the forum!