English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Misc > Amiga websites reviews

Old 28 February 2002, 03:48   #1
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

I Want Fish

If you're a fan of the Alien Breed series of games, here's a site that you might take a fancy to...

http://iwantfish.gazchap.com

In addition to the usual stuff you find on tribute sites, there's an interview with Rico Holmes, you can download the complete source code for Alien Breed 3D - The Killing Grounds (via Aminet, natch), and some other stuff. Have fun!
Old 28 February 2002, 05:44   #2
TikTok

Thanks for the link Twistin . Unfortunately my memory is so bad that it took me a while to remember the link between "I WANT FISH" and Alien Breed :laugh.

I remember playing AB Special Edition 92 for ages when I was younger. Then I played Tower Assault and AB2 the other day and was more than a little disappointed - what did they do to this series? TA has absolutely infuriating first levels that apparently don't require any skill, just simple luck, while AB2 just doesn't seem to have the same feel as the earlier games...too fast paced, not creepy enough IMHO.
Old 28 February 2002, 05:48   #3
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

I agree...something really got lost in the translation as the AB series tried to be another modern game...
Old 28 February 2002, 06:44   #4
Drake1009

I liked the start of TA since it was fairly easy. AB2 was very very very hard I thought.
Old 28 February 2002, 07:45   #5
TikTok

It was the outside bit with those annoying security helicopters that got me the most. I guess thats because I'm the sort of gamer who likes to explore every little corner and room of a level instead of just rushing through, but with those choppers I had no choice .

On the other hand, sometimes you can have too little pressure put on you to actually progress...I'm thinking Into the Eagle's Nest here. A great AB type game, if only it had felt like there was some point to your endless wanderings .
Old 28 February 2002, 16:18   #6
Drake1009

I actually enjoyed Into the eagles nest on the C64. And I think that once I was inside in AB2 it was too frustrating with all those aliens continuously respawning and your inability to backtrack while shooting.
Old 01 March 2002, 08:45   #7
ptrchiappe

Send a message via AIM to ptrchiappe
Quote:
Originally posted by TikTok
On the other hand, sometimes you can have too little pressure put on you to actually progress...I'm thinking Into the Eagle's Nest here. A great AB type game, if only it had felt like there was some point to your endless wanderings .
I played it on the Spectrum and there was a point: you had to find and set up bombs in every floor of the castle, and then escape from the front door before everything blew up (and when you switched the last bomb everything turned dark to make things harder).

I haven't played it on the Amiga, but i don't think that they changed that much .
Old 01 March 2002, 09:18   #8
Drake1009

The only bombs I remember on the C64 was crates with what looked like dynamite in them which if shot killed you. You actually had to place those?? Ok that spreads a bit of light.

Speaking of AB like games. I've got a pc game called The Machines (or something like that, too lazy to find the box) which was somewhat AB like. Actually it was at some points more fun than AB (those points being when you didn't have much time) since it was mainly small levels which meant that between levels you could save, upgrade, buy new robots and such. Was this ever released on the Amiga? It could apart from the animated intro have been an Amiga conversion.
Old 01 March 2002, 09:32   #9
ptrchiappe

Quote:
Originally posted by Drake1009
The only bombs I remember on the C64 was crates with what looked like dynamite in them which if shot killed you. You actually had to place those?? Ok that spreads a bit of light.
No, those crates were used to be shot from the distance to kill many enemies with one shot.

The bombs i'm talking about had to be found and activated in every floor. I don't remember how though, because too much time has passed since i played it on the spectrum. If i have time i'll load it in an emulator and snapshot one level to show you.
Old 01 March 2002, 11:43   #10
Drake1009

Would be appreciated ptr. Would show what to look for in the Amiga version too for those going to play it.
Old 01 March 2002, 14:10   #11
ptrchiappe

This is the map for the starting floor of the spectrum version, cut from the map published by Your Sinclair.

As i've never played the amiga version i don't know if the layout is the same, but it should be.

You can find the complete map in the zone.

The detonator is the red square close to two keys in the upper part of the map, you activate it by shooting at it.

/edit : apparently the upload of the image from Opera didn't work too well, but the detonator is visible anyway.
Sorry for an image not very clear
Attached Images
File Type: jpg eaglestartlevel.jpg (34.9 KB, 319 views)
Old 01 March 2002, 19:41   #12
TikTok

Quote:
No, those crates were used to be shot from the distance to kill many enemies with one shot.
They were? I'm almost 100% sure that I died when I shot the dynamite (CPC464 version).

I also seem to remember a goal of having to rescue a prisoner or similar; I think one version would let you choose the difficulty of the game, and a certain difficulty level had this goal instead of setting the bombs. But I could still never find him . Thanks for the map ptrchiappe .
Old 01 March 2002, 20:07   #13
Drake1009

I always stood close when I shot the dynamite so that could be why I died.
Old 04 March 2002, 08:57   #14
ptrchiappe

Quote:
Originally posted by TikTok
I also seem to remember a goal of having to rescue a prisoner or similar; I think one version would let you choose the difficulty of the game, and a certain difficulty level had this goal instead of setting the bombs. But I could still never find him.
Exactly, that's the next difficulty level: after you have set up all the bombs and escaped from the castle from the front door, you'll find yourself inside the castle again to rescue prisoners and bring them out of the castle.

That's the point where i left playing the game, because after finding one of them and taking him out, i lost interest in the game (the gameplay became too repetitive) and started playing something else .