English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 19 January 2020, 12:18   #1
dannycivic02

A600 video fault after recap

Hi I’m after a bit of advice and I’m a bit stuck seems I have broken my Amiga 600 and not sure where best to check. I replaced the capacitors which seemed to go pretty well apart from the through holes where I burnt the back of the board a little around the video circuit area R232C which may explain this issue. I checked all the traces around that area for continuity and all seems ok but when I boot I’m getting no display through RF or composite and through scart I am just getting the boot up screen but it’s just black and blue as per the Video. I’m not sure if it’s related but my audio was crackly before the recap and there is still no change after the recap I managed to get a game booting with sound to test. I did try to search for a similar issue online but to no avail any guidance on my next step would be most appreciated. This is a Rev 1 Board

Thanks in advance

Old 19 January 2020, 13:44   #2
solarmon

Was it have the same issues before the recap?

Provide some pictures of the recap you have done.
Old 19 January 2020, 17:00   #3
dannycivic02

The audio was still crackly before the recap and the video did work on composite and RF however I didn't have a scart cable to test at the time if the video out port was working so I am not sure if that part is my doing or an under lying fault.

I hope these pictures suffice

Old 19 January 2020, 21:13   #4
solarmon

The pictures are quite blurry and not high resolution, so it is hard to tell from that.

However, if there has been excessive heat about the components for video out it might be that these have been damaged - so you need to test and/or replace the suspect ones.
Old 19 January 2020, 21:38   #5
r.cade

Examine under high magnification and look for dropped solder blobs somewhere.
Old 10 February 2020, 00:16   #6
dannycivic02

Just to update I solved the problem with the video it was all my fault I had used solder paste and as the caps pretty much covered the entire area the solder had not melted under most of the caps. I got another cap kit from amiga kit this time and they were a little smaller so was much easier to solder with regular wire and now its all working as it should.

As for my audio issue I replaced the 347 audio chip and audio is no longer crackly.
Old 11 February 2020, 22:10   #7
turrican9

I used solder paste on the first A600 board I recapped. I too had some problem with the solder paste not melting properly which lead to bad solders. oh, and I tried solder paste on another A600 board and failed again. Since then I prefer to just use regular solder wire.

Nice that you got your problems sorted