English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 12 June 2005, 15:15   #1
chaoticjelly

Amiga Explorer and Serial PC ports?

Hey,

Well Ive got Amiga Explorer, and I use it to transfer files from PC to Amiga using a null modem cable from the PC serial port to my Amiga serial port.

The problem now is that im using my *brand spanking new PC* well, fairly new.. and ive come to use Amiga Explorer, and to set it up on this PC... but this new PC.. GASP does not have a serial port..

Would I still be able to easily configure Amiga Explorer to send data to a converter lead which would go into my PC via a USB port?

I was looking at one of these..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...774452895&rd=1

Would it work? cause I dont want to throw my money down the drain !!
Old 12 June 2005, 16:46   #2
§ane

Yes. I can't speak for that particular adapter but I have one such device. A virtual but transparent, legacy COM port will be registered/unregistered dynamically to the system with each hot plug/unplug of the cable to a USB port.

All software can utilize the new COM port from Windows 3.1 applications to Microsoft Virtual PC and underlying operating systems!

If your PC already has a COM1 and COM2, COM3 and COM4 will be next in line, that's assuming an application is considerate enough to enumerate beyond COM2!

Compatibility with Amiga Explorer, well, I haven't tested it yet, no, but I am confident it will function flawlessly. If you insist I'll drag out an A500 from the cupboard and test...