English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 03 August 2005, 00:02   #1
Techx

Modding modern mice for Amiga

Per the title.. anyone know if this is possible or if anyone has done it? My biggest problem using my a1200 is using this horrible old and malfunctioning mouse.. Now I assume trying to get a usb mouse working on an amiga would be difficult, unless there's a ami-usb controller I'm not aware of . So perhaps it's possible to mod/rewire a normal ps2 mouse to work? It would truely be sweet to use an optical with my a1200

thx
techx
Old 03 August 2005, 00:21   #2
Shrub

I think this is the guide to convert the PS/2 type to the Amiga mouse port. The other projects on Aminet are on how to connect a mouse to the serial port.

You can get a PS/2 to Amiga adaptor from any Amiga hardware sellers, but it's usually about £20. There's also PC Serial mouse to Amiga Serial which are cheaper, but they only work from Workbench aps - any old games that need the Amiga mouse won't work with them
Old 03 August 2005, 00:39   #3
kriz

check out fx. www.vesalia.de and see what you can get ..
Old 03 August 2005, 04:30   #4
Adeptus
epun umop ap!sdn

There are schematics on Aminet for ps2 to Ami mouse adapters... one I was planning on building was "ps2m"... (I think it's on aminet? also has its own website)
Problem is they require a programmed PIC chip. If you can't program one yourself, some places that sell the chips will program them for you.
Old 03 August 2005, 07:19   #5
keropi

I just got a topolinoIII and spared me all the troubles...
Old 03 August 2005, 19:01   #6
Techx

Quote:
Originally Posted by keropi
I just got a topolinoIII and spared me all the troubles...
just like ever other piece of amiga hardware I doubt I'd be able to find that in the US
Old 03 August 2005, 19:43   #7
girv
Mostly Harmless

A note of caution: I got a Cocolino from Elbox but it was incompatible with my keyboard operated Belkin Omniview KVM. The switch screen key sequence refused to work when the Cocolino was attached so I'm still using an original 3-button "Wizard" mouse I guess a switch operated KVM would be fine though...
Old 12 August 2005, 18:27   #8
Techx

Quote:
Originally Posted by girv
A note of caution: I got a Cocolino from Elbox but it was incompatible with my keyboard operated Belkin Omniview KVM. The switch screen key sequence refused to work when the Cocolino was attached so I'm still using an original 3-button "Wizard" mouse I guess a switch operated KVM would be fine though...
what about using the cocolino with a modern ps2 mouse, will that work? cause that's all I need it for. And if you don't need yours I'll buy it from you.

thanks
Old 12 August 2005, 22:06   #9
RetroMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techx
just like ever other piece of amiga hardware I doubt I'd be able to find that in the US
http://www.softhut.com/cgi-bin/test/...=2020374_18257

Old 13 August 2005, 00:46   #10
girv
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techx
what about using the cocolino with a modern ps2 mouse, will that work? cause that's all I need it for. And if you don't need yours I'll buy it from you.
It works fine with modern mice (thats what it was designed to do after all). In fact it works fine when connected to my KVM as well its just that it stops the KVM from switching computers.

I'm going to keep mine though and get a different KVM. I dont have the desk space for two mice!