English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 08 July 2009, 10:24   #221
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Don't you think that a link would be more appropiate, given the picture is nearly 6000x4000 pixel and not Amiga related?

Edit : Much better.
Old 08 July 2009, 10:27   #222
Info-Seeker

are you watching me man? I had already decided to fix it when I saw it didn't put a thumbnail like in the above posts, and your message was here when I got done fixing it. That is some mighty fine moderating man!
Old 08 July 2009, 10:31   #223
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Was just clicking on the Today's Posts link when your post appeared
Btw : When you make a new post, scroll down a bit and you find the 'Manage Attachments' button. This way you will get a thumbnail and won't have to upload the file elsewhere.
Old 08 July 2009, 10:33   #224
JuvUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by bLAZER View Post
I have awoken from the dead and made a new wallpaper

Get it here

i have to say, that logo looks amazing! great job
Old 09 July 2009, 20:58   #225
sebmacfly

VERY VERY VERY NICE!!!!! Thanks!
But i have a problem, i don't know what wallpaper i have to use, hard choice, ALL GOOD lol
Old 10 July 2009, 01:52   #226
Anemos
70X7

Old 10 July 2009, 15:55   #227
Anemos
70X7

ok im not pro to make Wallpapers, here is my last..

Old 10 July 2009, 15:58   #228
Graham Humphrey

I really like that one, I have to say.
Old 10 July 2009, 16:03   #229
Anemos
70X7

thank
Old 10 July 2009, 16:50   #230
DH
Global Moderator

Nice

It hurts your blinking eyes though
Old 14 July 2009, 12:54   #231
Info-Seeker

Thanks for the heads up Cyberdruid, I will check it out next time I post an image. My main computer is down at the moment and I am on the laptop till I reinstall the main drive, but way back in the early 90s I use to run a photolab. We had a piece of gear called a slidewriter, which is pretty much obsolete today, but back then was pretty amazing. It was basically a 35mm camera mounted in a box above a high res monitor that allowed me to take photos of high res graphics. I made some pretty cool stuff back then, long before digital imaging caught on.

I was buddies with a local friend who ran a Pirate board called Hangar 18, and Area 51 in Florida. 7 nodes, all HST at it's peak! It was Hybrid WHQ, and I ended up doing some graphic work for the group, included some really nice Hybrid Mousepads.. which again, today sounds stupid easy, but for 1991, it was pretty amazing.. The Fairlight wallpapers made me think of it. If I still have them, and anyone is interested, I can upload the Hybrid images when I get the main box back up...

-Info
Old 15 July 2009, 08:33   #232
Anemos
70X7

one more..
Old 04 September 2009, 15:21   #233
DH
Global Moderator

Probably a more fitting thread to place this into I think I've hijacked S2325's thread enough. Sorry mate!

Althoug I think I'll remove the IV due to it being a wallpaper now
Old 10 September 2009, 22:25   #234
lost_lemming

does anyone have the famous amiga juggler guy at high res picture? Ive been using this one I found so far but I had to stretch it alot and it's seriously bad quality.
Old 10 September 2009, 22:43   #235
prowler
Global Moderator

Do you mean this one?

What sized image do you have?

Edit1: Here's the original archive from Fred Fish Disk 97:
http://www.nic.funet.fi/pub/amiga/fi...97/juggler.lha

And here's the video:
http://home.comcast.net/~erniew/getstuff/juggler.avi

Last edited by prowler; 11 September 2009 at 01:15.
Old 12 September 2009, 02:24   #236
lost_lemming

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
Do you mean this one?

What sized image do you have?

Edit1: Here's the original archive from Fred Fish Disk 97:
http://www.nic.funet.fi/pub/amiga/fi...97/juggler.lha

And here's the video:
http://home.comcast.net/~erniew/getstuff/juggler.avi
thanks ill try and screengrab the one from the top link
Old 22 February 2011, 03:05   #237
PixelOz

Cool Regenerating Nostalgia - Amiga Wallpaper HD

Hello I am PixelOz and I'm new to this forum so I salute all its members. I'm a graphic artist and I did this Amiga wallpaper and thought that I should share it with other Amiga fans of this forums.

This is the third in a series that I started with the old Apple logo wallpaper and just like in another Atari version that I also did I decided to give this one a different color scheme. This is another wallpaper that I did (one of three) as a tribute to the golden days of computing in the 80s when computers still had limited colors and sound and when they still had limited multimedia capabilities but they were starting to move very fast in that direction. Those were the days when personal computers were starting to move into the mainstream which led to their eventual acceptance in the 90s as another household item so the pretty logo may bring back some fond memories for some people.

The Amiga was a computer that I respected for its value. I was never able to have one but if I had the money chances are I would have done so. I had to settle for my PCjr but I had a lot of fun with that one and I learned a lot about computers with it. Anyway I remember how good the Amiga was in multimedia at the time and its Workbench OS was way ahead of the DOS 2.10 that I had in my PCjr during those days.

The wallpaper is in many resolutions from 1024 x 768 pixels all the way to 2560 x 1600 pixels in several different aspect ratios like 4:3, 16:10, 16:9, etc. and I also adapted it to 4:6 ratio IPhone format with 320 x 480 resolution and also 640 x 960 resolution. It has no compression cause it’s saved in .bmp format (it is compressed in the zip file but this is lossless compression). Any limitations will only come from the inherent limitations of 32 bits total color (24 bits + 8 bits alpha), if it wasn’t for that the color transitions would be far smoother (too bad) cause the original rendering was done in full 128 bits total colors (96 bits + 32 bits alpha) in Open EXR format. There is simply always a loss when downsampling to 32 bits total colors. The IPhone versions were cropped from the high res render so they are not as optimal but they still look a bit good and they also have the old Amiga letters logo in them.

I wanted to do something in 3D with a pseudo sci-fi theme cause I like sci-fi a lot. It was started in Blender 2.49b and finished in Blender 2.5x (about the second half of the work) for the Apple version and the color changes to the Atari version were all done in the new Blender and one of the reasons that I moved it to the new Blender fast was because it had a much faster renderer and I was planing to use the internal Blender renderer only and see what it could do cause it has become quite capable and one can get pretty decent results with it with a little bit of effort.

It took quite a while to render (about 22 hours) even on a i7 2.66 Ghz CPU using almost all threads (7 threads) cause I rendered it in very high resolution and it uses ambient occlusion and quite a few lights with many samples. And just like the Apple version it also has some post processing in Photoshop CS4 for some glow effects and a bit of correction of color and light in some areas.

So you may be wondering why I chose the .bmp format instead of the popular .jpg. The reason for this is because of the limitations of the 32 bit image format (24 bit colors + 8 bit alpha transparency) that become compounded with the .jpg compression. When I did this version in .jpg I noticed that even when choosing 100 compression quality in .jpg files it kinda screws it up in some areas and I didn’t like it so I decided to use the Windows native .bmp format to distribute them.

This increased the zip file size but you can then use the wallpaper with much better quality in Windows. Now when you try to set the image as a Set as Desktop Background function of Windows Vista and Windows 7 even if it is a .jpg, .png or .bmp it will save the image to a special folder as a .jpg and with a lot of bad compression.

To prevent this read the included tutorial and you will be able to see it with much better quality even on Vista and Windows Seven, it is titled:

HowToPreventWallpaperArtifactsInWinVista&Win7Ver1-2.pdf

If you want to convert the wallpaper images to .jpg format your results could vary with the application program used. For example even the mighty Photoshop does a pretty bad job at converting it to .jpg (I tried with CS4) and the same happened with Corel Photopaint and others and this is at the mininimum compression level. I got somewhat good results with The Gimp (free at: [link]) and the Xat Jpeg Optimizer program (commercial program at: [link]) again at the minimum compression level but of course it looks way better if you just leave it in the original .bmp format so that is why I’m publishing it in this format but that is also at your discretion.

You can modify it for your own personal use only.

You can download a zip file here at Deviantart:

http://fav.me/d3a2shr

Also in this location at :

http://www..com/?n72l5qvcrg86q3e

So there it is, I hope that some people from the old school of computing and/or sci-fi fans like me and others like it.

If you want to see all the other free things that I have in my place at Deviantart you can click in the View Gallery link at the right of the Deviantart page.

In if you want to see my whole folder this is the link:

http://www..com/?xym304qv5byua
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RegeneratingNostalgia-AmigaWallpaperThumbnail800x500-1.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	214.0 KB
ID:	27972  

Old 22 February 2011, 03:50   #238
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to lilalurl
Quote:
Originally Posted by PixelOz View Post
You can modify it for your own personal use only.

I believe some people from the What does your REAL Amiga WB look like? thread:
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=3013

might be interested to try and do a conversion that can be used on their WB.

Perhaps a GM will move your post there if he thinks it is the case
Old 22 February 2011, 08:08   #239
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

For now it's just Amiga Scene I think there is a wallpaper thread here somewhere...
Old 23 February 2011, 22:56   #240
PixelOz

Oh, by the way there is also a free Amiga Bouncing Ball icon in Win, Mac and Png formats that I also did in Blender in my places that you can download.

Just look in my gallery (View Gallery link at the right of the Deviantart page) or in my folder.

If you have any problems decompressing the zip file it is not necessarily that the file is damaged. It could be that your unzipping program cannot decode LZMA encoding. I used it cause the file size is much smaller (about 16 megs).

There are many unzipping programs that can decode LZMA like 7Zip which is free (open source), very popular and is available also as portable, of course this is for Windows.

The portable version is available here:

http://portableapps.com/apps/utilities/7-zip_portable

Anyway I created an alternate zipped file which uses the more common deflate encoding (with a larger file size of about 20 megs) in my folder.

This is the direct link to that file:

http://www..com/?4cmw5wtb0xclbzn

Try that and tell me how it goes.

Last edited by TCD; 23 February 2011 at 22:58. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Use the edit function.