English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 29 July 2002, 23:58   #1
ethylene

Send a message via ICQ to ethylene Send a message via AIM to ethylene Send a message via MSN to ethylene Send a message via Yahoo to ethylene
Online ROM rental site

Console Classix has launched an entirely new business model. It seems that they dump from cartridges they physically own, and allow subscribers to 'rent' the ROM images, one per cartridge.

I for one wish them the best of luck. This kind of innovation takes bravery, even if it's flirting with legal disaster
Old 30 July 2002, 00:09   #2
Pete

I know that won't work here (legally). The SPA closed down stores with a similar concept some time ago (software rental). Legal action can't be far behind this one

(He said, hanging upside down in a bat like position due to the effects of low level lighting in his office )

Old 30 July 2002, 00:26   #3
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

The concept is ridiculous. Not only are they charging a fee for something that they have no right to, but why in the hell would anyone rent a rom when they can download it from one of thousands of sources?
Old 30 July 2002, 00:30   #4
Ian
Global Moderator

I've got an idea, why don't you all see what they have to offer and email me and I'll send you the rom for free, now that's a good idea
Old 30 July 2002, 00:33   #5
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Amazing. Ian posts!
Old 30 July 2002, 00:44   #6
jmmijo

Ian's been getting fustrated by his new router recently, seems it's not as user friendly as it should be
Old 30 July 2002, 03:53   #7
Amiga1992

How pathetic! Besides, it's stiull illegal. I remember Softcos trying to crack down on game renting and second-hand sales in the UK back in 1994ish...

This is just laughable, sorry ethylene! Why do you like so much about this scam?
Old 30 July 2002, 05:15   #8
ethylene

Send a message via ICQ to ethylene Send a message via AIM to ethylene Send a message via MSN to ethylene Send a message via Yahoo to ethylene
Scam? Well... I know what you mean; us savvy gamers can surely find all the ROMs these guys are renting, and get them for free.

What these guys can do, if they do things right, is market their service to the mass public. It's an interesting business model, and something that I think has a chance of surviving in the courts.

Think about it: In the USA, we can walk into Blockbuster and legally rent a game owned by Blockbuster. It's legal, because Blockbuster has purchased a copy of the game, and I would assume, a license from the publisher to rent the game out.

What these guys are doing is pretty much the same thing, only the rental is done electronically. Each ROM rented out represents one actual physical cartridge in their posession. I'm unsure of what licensing fees were tacked onto physical cartridges meant for the rental market, but if these cartridges were purchased in that manner, I believe that it could be successfully argued in the courts that this business model is fair!

I believe we're going to see the internet (the web at least) become gradually less and less 'free', in terms of entertainment media content (probably all forms of media content eventually). And while we may not see Console Classix around in ten years, you can bet that someday, we'll see new companies working with the copyright holders of the old games people love so much, and serving them for profit to the public electronically. I can see it expanding to include the film industry and television, too. We can see it happening with music today.

I disagree with you about the pathetic part, Akira, because I admire anyone innovative and courageous enough to strike out in new directions. Many thought Henry Ford was just plain crazy, but now our world couldn't do without mechanized assembly lines.

I've had ideas similar to the one we're seeing with Console Classix, but my efforts have been quite pathetic
Old 30 July 2002, 05:24   #9
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Excdellent arguement, Ethyl. And I agree, innovation and marketing genius have helped to improve our lives, as well as worsen it. But your arguement rests on a shaky premise: The rom being considered the same as a cd/cart. Because roms are copies of the game. I bet Blockbuster would have been sued to hell if they made copies of the NES, SNES, Genesis, PSX 1 and 2, X BOX, Gamecube, Saturn, N 64 etc. games and rented them out (and later sold as used). Thats where these guys may have trouble, but, good luck to them. The fact americans will buy, watch, eat and listen to pure garbage probably inspired them. And what they are renting - old NES games - are far from garbage but supreme classics.

Last edited by Fred the Fop; 30 July 2002 at 08:55.
Old 30 July 2002, 05:43   #10
Amiga1992

Yes, they can like rent 100000 times the same rom, since they will surely have eons of copies of each!

by teh way, you are allowed to do backups of your games for personal use only, so this is still in an area as grey as downloading an old rom.

I say these guys are in for trouble as soon as the IDSA finds them.