English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 05 February 2024, 10:06   #21
reassembler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
The 2.5D description is a little off, given that 2.5D games in general are 2D games in a 3D world. That type of racing game are more pseudo-3D. They're not fully 3D because you can't rotate the view in any way - the engine has no concept of facing directly across the track for example, which differentiates it from 3D racers like F1GP. But calling them 2D racers doesn't work either because they're trying to simulate 3D instead of just presenting a 2D view. For example, Super Cars, Micro Machines and Roadkill are all 2D racing games.
To complicate matters, how would you classify Sega's Power Drift? The Arcade allows you to rotate the camera 180 degrees by pressing the Start button at any point.

The camera pans around the track in a 3D style at the start of the level. In fact, the game engine itself is coded in 3D. It's just rendered with lots and lots of 2D sprites, as opposed to polygons.
Old 05 February 2024, 10:27   #22
Daedalus

I'm not familiar with the arcade version of Power Drift, but even games like Mario Kart and F-Zero on the SNES I think of as 3D when compared to Outrun, even though they're realised using sprites. Being able to render the world from an arbitrary camera position makes a world of difference for the feel of a game for me, for judging corners, distances, car handling and so on, and if the arcade version of Power Drift allows that too then that would put it in a totally different category of racing game to Outrun.
Old 05 February 2024, 10:36   #23
AestheticDebris

Power Drift and Mario Kart are things I'd put into the 2.5D category. They're almost doing every in 3D but taking advantage of the limited degrees of freedom to cheat the system by rendering flat sprites that just always face the camera rather than proper polygonal models, much as something like Doom does with the enemies.
Old 05 February 2024, 13:00   #24
Daedalus

Yeah, that's fair enough, it's a similar level of 3D to Doom. Does that make Mario Kart 64 a 2.5D game too? That also renders all the players and objects as flat polygons.

The key thing I was trying to point out was the difference between these games which present a 3D environment, even if it's realised in 2D objects, and games that can't possibly present a 3D environment, and work and feel entirely different as a result.
Old 05 February 2024, 13:30   #25
reassembler

Quote:
Originally Posted by AestheticDebris View Post
Power Drift and Mario Kart are things I'd put into the 2.5D category. They're almost doing every in 3D but taking advantage of the limited degrees of freedom to cheat the system by rendering flat sprites that just always face the camera rather than proper polygonal models, much as something like Doom does with the enemies.
Yep! I always wonder how much of an influence Power Drift was on Mario Kart.

Once again, Sega innovating, but failing to capitalize on an idea and IP. (Whereas Nintendo were great at IP building!)
Old 05 February 2024, 14:25   #26
AestheticDebris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
The key thing I was trying to point out was the difference between these games which present a 3D environment, even if it's realised in 2D objects, and games that can't possibly present a 3D environment, and work and feel entirely different as a result.
Yeah, Power Drift was one that came to mind as something kind of different to Outrun style games. And why I'm not entirely keen on "Pseudo-3D" as a label, since those are also kind of in that category.
Old 05 February 2024, 17:56   #27
CCCP alert

"the best 2.5D scaling bitmap racing game in the world"
Old 05 February 2024, 20:13   #28
Gzegzolka

Personally I think about those games as Outrun clones, or paeudo 3D games. They use different techniques than render polygons/vectors. I always thought there is a correct name to how road is drawn in mathematical way. And now I realise that many post Outrun games used to focus more on sprites and spam them to create road.
Old 05 February 2024, 20:44   #29
eXeler0

ChatGPT says the correct term is Pseudo-3d
(with some subset technique referred to as 2.5d scrolling.)
Old 05 February 2024, 23:21   #30
oscar_ates

Off topic, amazingly all 3d games now use hardware rendering instead of software rendering. CPU pushes polygon mesh vertices and rest till rasterization is done on gpu pipeline.
Old 05 February 2024, 23:30   #31
desiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXeler0 View Post
ChatGPT says the correct term is Pseudo-3d
OK, so I am definitely not using that term then. ;-)

Anyway, when I hear "pseudo-3D games", my mind goes to Wolf 3D / Doom type games.
But that's me...
Old 05 February 2024, 23:38   #32
CCCP alert

2.5D is multiple 2D layers used to represent the Z axis. In the case of Sega OutRun this is done with hardware sprite layers to do Z clipping, in Lotus etc it's with blitter objects and presumably a software rendering queue/buffer to sort behind/in front.

Is just an extension of multi-parallax movement in images, like those pixel art based PS3 cut scene.
Old 06 February 2024, 00:48   #33
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by desiv View Post
OK, so I am definitely not using that term then. ;-)
Meh. It's the one good use for the thing - rely on its capability to have done the web search that most people are unwilling to take the time to formulate properly.
Old 06 February 2024, 00:49   #34
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxgogo View Post
Well, this is a fun thread. I never thought there would be so much diversity in how people classify this genre of game.
Indeed. I used to call them "racers like Lotus" To differentiate them from "racers like Super Cars".
Old 06 February 2024, 00:51   #35
desiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Meh. It's the one good use for the thing - rely on its capability to have done the web search that most people are unwilling to take the time to formulate properly.
Just an FYI, a smiley emoticon generally indicates a humorous statement and not something to be taken too seriously...
Old 06 February 2024, 07:52   #36
fxgogo
Also known as GarethQ

Should we be looking at the gameplay rather than how it is rendered to the screen to define the genre and sub genres?
Old 06 February 2024, 09:22   #37
kremiso

Lotus1 developers probably liked a lot Pitstop2 on the C64
Old 07 February 2024, 15:18   #38
Bren McGuire

racing game? how else??
Old 07 February 2024, 20:33   #39
Megalomaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxgogo View Post
Should we be looking at the gameplay rather than how it is rendered to the screen to define the genre and sub genres?
Essentially a split between against-the-clock and against-other-vehicles (not just cars, as Super Hang On and RVF Honda certainly count). Lotus III neatly straddles both.
Old 08 February 2024, 02:26   #40
Jimmy's Miggy's

2D point to point racer engine maybe ???