English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

View Poll Results: Which system did you grow up on?
Amstrad 3 2.94%
BBC MICRO 5 4.90%
C64 41 40.20%
ZX Spectrum 31 30.39%
Other 35 34.31%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Old 24 June 2015, 18:57   #201
tomcat666
Retro Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofan View Post
I've just tried it and it's amazing. Hard of course, maybe a bit more than the original, but all is better.
I have got a few comments like this... not sure why people think it is harder than original ? Here are the changes for first level I made which should make the game MUCH easier than original c64 version:

1. Zombies first dig out some dirt before they kill you. They instantly killed you before if they spawned underneath you.

2. Collision detection is MUCH better now. Before when the bullet from the plant flew around 7 pixels over your head it killed you. Now it must actually hit your head to kill you.

3. The Red Arramer needed 4 hits to be killed. Now it needs only 3 !

4. You can now jump over tombstones/other obstacles even if you are touching them. Before you just jumped straight up.

5. Now you can turn around while jumping and shoot backwards. This is really good for the gameplay.

6. Level 1 boss needs 2 shots less to be killed now.

7. Only TWO flying witches can be on screen at once time now. On the original c64 version there could be 6 flying witches on the screen which means a massacre.

I know the level is twice the size now, but it *should* be much easier to get through and play now.

Similar changes were done on other levels, for instance on level 2 the little blue imps that appear in the openings of the towers don't kill you until they start moving. Again if you stood there when they appeared they instantly killed you before. Also the House Ogres need 2 shots less to be killed now.

There are a few things that are harder too, but overall the game should be easier. What is harder in levels 1 and 2 :

1. Flying knights after the moving island can only be hit in the back (as it is in the arcade) but they appear less frequently and they never go too far down !

2. There are two Unicorn Ogre bosses in level 2 now

Levels 3 and 4 are more redesigned and could be a bit harder than before (they were really badly designed in the original so we wanted to be more true to the original there).

It is a hard game, I won't deny that. But I think it was supposed to be hard. We tried to make it fair, but I guess it is still too hard
Old 24 June 2015, 18:59   #202
tomcat666
Retro Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
@tomcat

Any hint for the next remastered project? (the good Mr. Heli port misses 3 of the Arcade levels btw).
Not sure what and even when or even "if at all" ... we will see Now we need some rest. I still think it was worth it, even with some people complaining
Old 24 June 2015, 19:02   #203
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

It was worth the time for sure. Many thanks to all involved.
Old 24 June 2015, 20:21   #204
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcat666 View Post
It is a hard game, I won't deny that. But I think it was supposed to be hard. We tried to make it fair, but I guess it is still too hard
Screw lamers who can't take a hard game in! Great job on this remix, it's fantastic!!!
Old 24 June 2015, 20:48   #205
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Not lamers, i'm not the only one who finds the jump unadequate. I have finally finished the game, and i have not been specifically annoyed by the game difficulty, but by the jump in level 2, and in the level where you meet the dragon for the first time. You have before to jump on platforms, and the jump makes it ridiculously difficult to pass. Even the coin-op which is hard (or the amiga version) does not give me such pain in the A*se to go thru.

Out of this, that's a nice effort, everything else is fine
Old 25 June 2015, 03:52   #206
lesta_smsc

I think this calls for a Dizzython!
Old 25 June 2015, 11:35   #207
Neil79
Autistic 'n IRN!

Rick Dangerous - An all time favourite game is coming to the Atari 8bit system!

Quote:
Atari 8bit owners prepare yourself for an all time classic platforming game, a game that has it's own cult following, a gem in the retro scene. It's none other than Rick Dangerous, developed by Core Design and published by Firebird in 1989 for the Amiga, Amstrad CPC, Atari ST, Commodore 64, ZX Spectrum, and DOS.
http://www.indieretronews.com/2015/0...rite-game.html

I must admit over this past month I'm getting really impressed by the Atari 8bit and it looks like I might have to get one
Old 25 June 2015, 12:38   #208
quahappy
Born again WinUAE user

RD (on the Amiga) must hold the record for most lives lost within five minutes for me. A real tough game but has that got-to-have-another-go feel. And now it's coming to Atari 8bit. Time to brush up my (lack of) hardcore gaming skills and get some practice in.

Thanks for the heads up, Neil. The conversion looks to be shaping up nicely.
Old 25 June 2015, 12:41   #209
Retroplay
Lemon Curry ?

There's one thing to consider; input lag in VICE.
For me the controls is like night and day, on real hardware it plays like a dream, excellent work and it shows.
And as always, NOSDOS decrunch to REU, I f*cking love that option.
Old 25 June 2015, 12:41   #210
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by quahappy View Post
RD (on the Amiga) must hold the record for most lives lost within five minutes for me.
Obviously you haven't played "The Game" yet!!

Atari 8 bit is still something of a mystery to me, i've heard of it but i've no idea what it's like or what it can do. Atari only makes me think of the 2600.
Old 25 June 2015, 12:47   #211
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
RD (on the Amiga) must hold the record for most lives lost within five minutes for me.
Not Rick Dangerous 2? RD 1 is hard, Rick Dangerous 2 makes me foam at the mouth.
Old 25 June 2015, 12:54   #212
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
There's one thing to consider; input lag in VICE. For me the controls is like night and day, on real hardware it plays like a dream, excellent work and it shows. And as always, NOSDOS decrunch to REU, I f*cking love that option.
Lag? Then use the brilliant Micro64 with options -> time step synchronization = Quarter frames. Less lag compared to Vice.
Old 25 June 2015, 13:01   #213
s2325
Zone Friend

my fake tape overlay for personal amusement: http://s3.img.suchar.net/EHRBcSjdzrS...fqdTMENoMJ.jpg
Old 25 June 2015, 13:11   #214
Retroplay
Lemon Curry ?

I'd rather use my real C64 & 1541U-II for serious gaming.

Still I'll have to check out Micro64, it's just too bad VICE is the only emu with SuperCPU support.

[edit]
Micro64 is acting strange, both the SDL & SDL2 x64 versions.
If I type V, instead of actually printing a V on screen it types LOAD and typing 7 does nothing whilst typing 8 prints a 2 instead.
Is there a way to change keyboard layout in this emu ?

Perhaps SDL doesn't like I have 3 controllers connected to my PC ?

Last edited by Retroplay; 25 June 2015 at 13:44.
Old 25 June 2015, 13:34   #215
quahappy
Born again WinUAE user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Beanbag View Post
Obviously you haven't played "The Game" yet!!
I can't recollect it, (can you link me to it?) but If it's a major hair-pulling stress-induced game then I'll hold you responsible heh heh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Not Rick Dangerous 2? RD 1 is hard, Rick Dangerous 2 makes me foam at the mouth.
Don't know about foaming at the mouth. The air was foul with bad language if I remember right with RD2. I'm ashamed lol. But it was warranted imho. I'd never had liked to had been a beta game tester!
Old 25 June 2015, 14:00   #216
Neil79
Autistic 'n IRN!

I've enjoyed every release of Rick Dangerous on what ever system, however I was really disappointed by the frame rate slow down on the Amstrad CPC. I loved the colours but it feels a bit off
Old 25 June 2015, 14:03   #217
Neil79
Autistic 'n IRN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroplay View Post
I'd rather use my real C64 & 1541U-II for serious gaming.
You and me both! Oh and another 1541 owner too,
Old 25 June 2015, 14:17   #218
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

Quote:
I can't recollect it, (can you link me to it?) but If it's a major hair-pulling stress-induced game then I'll hold you responsible heh heh.
It is a newly released game
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=78496

(You get infinite lives, it only racks up how many you've "lost", can easily rack up hundreds very quickly. But you don't lose anything by dying so it's not too frustrating, in fact most of the time i just found myself laughing)
Old 25 June 2015, 14:36   #219
quahappy
Born again WinUAE user

Ohhhhh, that one. Didn't realise it was called "The Game". I had downloaded the first version and forgotten all about it (hadn't played it). Just re-read the thread and about to download the latest. Looks good! Hmmm. Infinite lives, eh? That'll do me nicely. Thanks Mrs Beanbag.

WRT Rick Dangerous, I ended up cheating after getting frustrated with it. Gave myself infinite lives via Action Replay cartridge. Anyone who completed RD (1 or 2) without cheats must had been the most patience person ever!
Old 25 June 2015, 18:22   #220
john1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
Not lamers, i'm not the only one who finds the jump unadequate.
One thing I noticed. Is that if you jump and land on the edge of a platform, but too near the edge you will bounce back and be thrown off. It's especially noticeable on the first part of level 2. It might have been in the arcade version though, I've not played it.

The game was originally hard though, so any good port will stay hard. Having said that, a game mode with a few continues would have been the icing on the cake.