English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 01 July 2020, 06:35   #21
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

On the topic of Phalanx and Xenon 1 i remember the first generation of shooters on Amiga was pretty meh, we had goldrunner, Phalanx, insanity fight, Phalanx II (a bad clone of uridium but decent music for the time), spinworld ("torturing disk", nuff said), a vaguely R-type inspired vertical shooter [which i forgot the name], return to genesis, and XR-35 an horizontal infinite shooter with good parallax and one of the first 16 color sprites but pretty meh... among those Xenon 1 was pretty advanced, despite taking its playability from the arcade Valtric, and i still think the dual land/air vehicle topic could be expanded
Old 01 July 2020, 07:28   #22
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by saimon69 View Post
a vaguely R-type inspired vertical shooter [which i forgot the name]
Scorpio perhaps?
Old 01 July 2020, 18:46   #23
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Yup, that was him!
Old 01 July 2020, 19:37   #24
xubidoo

Not a Shoot em up fan full stop, but i did enjoy messing about on Xenon 2 , loved the gfx/music in it. But was bored of it within a day or 2. By the same token id no doubt get bored of Agony,Apidya,Swiv,Banshee,R-Type as well , so it doesnt really mean anything

Old 01 July 2020, 20:04   #25
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by xubidoo View Post
Not a Shoot em up fan full stop, but i did enjoy messing about on Xenon 2 , loved the gfx/music in it. But was bored of it within a day or 2. By the same token id no doubt get bored of Agony,Apidya,Swiv,Banshee,R-Type as well , so it doesnt really mean anything
You might be more a turrican guy ^^
Old 01 July 2020, 20:51   #26
xubidoo

Quote:
You might be more a turrican guy ^^

Definitely , love Turrican, all 3 , platform shooter like that i like, just not the standard Horizontal/Vertical type , i know they are very popular, just never got into them

Old 01 July 2020, 21:37   #27
Dunny

Scorpio was a big fave of mine BITD. Loved it, and was able to wrap it several times on one life
Old 18 July 2020, 01:33   #28
ZEUSDAZ

Well chaps I thought I'd better place the latest "Which is Best?" poll here otherwise it would mean another thread most likely entitled "Bloody Xenon or It's sequel debate again - again!".

Yep this month the question is if you had no choice but to play either Xenon 1 or 2 which would it be?!, possibly the simpler drawn but tougher first game or It's overhyped aged badly sequel (as many would put it).

You can either leave your answer, thoughts or whatever below or even place your decision on the youtube video attached: [ Show youtube player ]

Voting ends 15th August.

All the best chaps, Zeus
Old 18 July 2020, 15:52   #29
Sgt Jack V

Tried Xenon 1 - Garbage

Tried Xenon 2 - Garbage
Old 18 July 2020, 18:19   #30
ZEUSDAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Jack V View Post
Tried Xenon 1 - Garbage

Tried Xenon 2 - Garbage

Xenon 1 = too hard (even though I can complete the awesome Spectrum vesrion without losing a life).

Xenon 2 = overhyped from the start imo.

So I suggest you try Hybris and Battle Squadron,...and if you think those are garbage then no doubt you're an ST fanboy!!!
Old 18 July 2020, 20:24   #31
roondar

Xenon wasn't that bad.
But I didn't like Xenon 2.
Old 27 July 2020, 16:59   #32
Goldbricker

Xenon 2 mainly for the music, after starting with the bleepy PC version the Amiga was such an improvement.
Old 27 July 2020, 17:48   #33
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldbricker View Post
Xenon 2 mainly for the music, after starting with the bleepy PC version the Amiga was such an improvement.
Yeah people keep saying that and on the title screen it sounds pretty cool, but in-game it is exactly terrible because the sounds bomb the bass half the time. (badum pssh). Who in their right mind stops shooting in a game like this to listen to the music as intended?

It's not often that I want a game to just do either sound only or music only.

They're both pretty not good games, so I'm just tossing a coin and saying that Xenon 1 is slightly better. At least it has smooth movement, if you can see it under the thick layer of bullets
Old 27 July 2020, 17:56   #34
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Yeah people keep saying that and on the title screen it sounds pretty cool, but in-game it is exactly terrible because the sounds bomb the bass half the time. (badum pssh). Who in their right mind stops shooting in a game like this to listen to the music as intended?
In that the CDTV version might be as well the ultimate version considered there are more audio tracks on the game (and Richard Joseph impersonating Colin)
Old 05 August 2020, 23:51   #35
LeChuck

Neither are good shooters, there are way better on the Amiga let alone consoles & arcade.
I guess at least the first Xenon controlled better and wasnt so ridiculously overhyped so I'll go with that.

Personally, I find Bitmap Brothers really overrated. Outside of the excellent Speedball 2 and Chaos Engine none of their stuff really hold up when it comes to gameplay.. something like Gods for example, nice graphics but the stiff controls and "puzzles" that are just total trial and error with no logic behind them doesn't make for a very enjoyable game.
They also never really pushed the Amiga hardware very much.. most of their games were more or less identical on the Atari ST.

Now they did have some nice, tasteful pixel art in their games and a cool image but give me Sensible Software anyday, they knew how to make a fun game.
Old 06 August 2020, 08:55   #36
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Quote:
On the topic of Phalanx and Xenon 1 i remember the first generation of shooters on Amiga was pretty meh, we had goldrunner, Phalanx, insanity fight, Phalanx II (a bad clone of uridium but decent music for the time), spinworld ("torturing disk", nuff said), a vaguely R-type inspired vertical shooter [which i forgot the name], return to genesis, and XR-35 an horizontal infinite shooter with good parallax and one of the first 16 color sprites but pretty meh... among those Xenon 1 was pretty advanced, despite taking its playability from the arcade Valtric, and i still think the dual land/air vehicle topic could be expanded
And don't forget the almighty "Plutos"...

Also, Sarcophaser for the Amiga was quite okayish for early Amiga SHMUPs. But also much too hard imo.

R-Type was the first SHMUP on the Amiga that i could stand (and apart from Turrican 1 the only action game that I really liked on the Amiga)