English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 29 July 2020, 21:04   #1
Overmann

Deleting folders in DOpus Magellan gives DOS error

Hi,
I'm just trasfering my files from my FastATA IDE HDD to my new SCSI2SD and an old error has really been annoying me. Whenever i MOVE or DELETE a dir I get an error saying "unable to delete... Dos error: folder not empty". If i hit SKIP it will move on and the folder will indeed get deleted. I've lived with this for years as I rarely delete entire partitions worth of folders, but now hitting SKIP for every folder is really consuming my entire evening. Is there a way to deal with this?

MOVEING and DELETING works perfectly in DOpus 4. What is DOpus 5 doing differently?
Old 30 July 2020, 15:23   #2
daxb

It may be a filesystem issue. What fs do you use? If you use PFS and .deldir that could be the causer. DOpus5 has some options that may trigger that error.
Old 30 July 2020, 20:39   #3
Overmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxb View Post
It may be a filesystem issue. What fs do you use? If you use PFS and .deldir that could be the causer. DOpus5 has some options that may trigger that error.

Yeah, PFS3aio. Do you know how I can go about changing those options? Looking at the toolbar functions for MOVE and DELETE it just says COMMAND MOVE and COMMAND DELETE.
Old 31 July 2020, 11:29   #4
daxb

You need this: http://aminet.net/package/disk/misc/PFS3_53 (what is mentioned in PFS3aio readme). There you will find docs and needed tools. With SetDeldir you can set or deactivate DelDir. E.g.: "setdeldir dh2: 0" to deactivate the DelDir on dh2:.

DOpus5 commands have (sometimes) options that you can check. Check also different attributes. In environment prefs there are settings for delete for example. Go through all and read the docs. There exists some hidden options you can check. Oh... I would also try directory cache settings.
Old 31 July 2020, 12:10   #5
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Does it always happen? I have heard about this pfs3 problem (if deldir is enabled) but no one has so far found any ways to duplicate it reliably.

Could you include snoopdos log from non-working and working delete operation?
Old 31 July 2020, 17:44   #6
Overmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxb View Post
You need this: http://aminet.net/package/disk/misc/PFS3_53 (what is mentioned in PFS3aio readme). There you will find docs and needed tools. With SetDeldir you can set or deactivate DelDir. E.g.: "setdeldir dh2: 0" to deactivate the DelDir on dh2:.

DOpus5 commands have (sometimes) options that you can check. Check also different attributes. In environment prefs there are settings for delete for example. Go through all and read the docs. There exists some hidden options you can check. Oh... I would also try directory cache settings.

I'll check this out, thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Does it always happen? I have heard about this pfs3 problem (if deldir is enabled) but no one has so far found any ways to duplicate it reliably.

Could you include snoopdos log from non-working and working delete operation?

Yes, it happends every time. I'll post snoopdos log tomorrow. Successful delete in Dopus4 and error delete in dopus5?
Old 31 July 2020, 18:10   #7
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overmann View Post
Yes, it happends every time. I'll post snoopdos log tomorrow. Successful delete in Dopus4 and error delete in dopus5?
Use same dopus version to delete exact same directory structure using some other filesystem, for example RAM disk. Or pfs3 with deldir disabled.

Two logs from exact same situation, only difference should be used filesystem.
Old 02 August 2020, 00:17   #8
Overmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Use same dopus version to delete exact same directory structure using some other filesystem, for example RAM disk. Or pfs3 with deldir disabled.

Two logs from exact same situation, only difference should be used filesystem.

I've actually not used SnoopDOS before. This thing spews of 132304 lines of messages like it's nobodys business I guess I'll have to take a closer look at the documentation, so the logs are still upcoming
Old 02 August 2020, 12:30   #9
daxb

You should choose a directory (or create a test environment) with less content as possible where the problem still exists. Narrow down as much as possible/needed. It this is not possible you can have a look in the log where the requester appears and check differences with a working process. SnoopDos should stop/pause logging with the requester. However, you know the directory where it happens. So you don't necessary need the whole log.