English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 02 November 2005, 11:35   #21
Mikey_C

@Fred The Duck

Well, given the resources and the scale of the job in hand, I am not at all surprised it has taken this long. The OS has been re-written entirely so that it is more easily portable to other platforms.

I don't think you realise the enormity of the task involved.

I take it, from your tone, that you are not at all interested in OS4?
Old 02 November 2005, 11:52   #22
woody57

Sorry Mikey_C but I doubt Fred the Duck has interest in eiether the task involved of creating OS4 or how it could be ported to other platforms until someone actually gets some quality games to run on it.

Its a "seeing is believing" case as the promises made about OS4 are as yet not commonly shown to be true and the time its taken for it's first releases have not been a good example of any "New" real hope of an Amiga software re-birth
Old 02 November 2005, 12:23   #23
Mikey_C

The Problem as i see it, is that a lot of people are happy to slag off what's been done so far, without actually having taken the time out to see AOS4 in Action. If any one wants to try AmigaOS4 for themselves, let me know and I'll see what I can arrange, after all, believe it or not there are still a small number of Amiga user groups left in the UK (and worldwide)
Old 02 November 2005, 12:48   #24
Slayer
Amiga Member

@Mikey_C & Actual Amiga Users

it is clear to me it doesn't matter what happens in the Amiga community the mods will always remain PC and the negative BS will continue to flow... under the stupid
understanding that freedom of opinion deserves to exist
in ALL situations...

I seriously suggest a clear defined strategy...

anything from now on falling into this catagory is to be totally ignored...

it does no good using your energy to answer these
dead ends...

its like the good ol days with them outside lets just
enjoy it

and with so many of my insightful statements, I shall not be revisiting this thread... I do not suffer the burden
of curiosity... heh
Old 02 November 2005, 13:38   #25
Mikey_C

So, what you are saying is that no one here cares about what I am posting? if so, i'll leave this site as is and walk away.
Old 02 November 2005, 13:52   #26
Slayer
Amiga Member

all I did was look at my email message about someone had posted in it and saw it was you Mikey_C and thought ah well why not, I expected you to say something like Amen or something...

instead I get this? You're kidding right?

I guess your path lies in another direction if you're being serious, the only thing I can think of is you welcome the challenge of convincing others OS4 is viable... well, continue I guess...

All I'm saying is info the valid curious and ignore the people who rock the boat... we don't need them...

I'm just beating the same old drum about how tired I am of seeing perfectly good threads about Amiga issues turn to crap because people just want to rain on your parade...

take it easy Mikey_C I'm on your side believe it or not :P

and I will not be reading the next email I get... heh
Old 02 November 2005, 13:54   #27
Doc Mindie
In deep Trouble

Well, I for one, Mikey, cares..... but then again, I'm prolly a stupid geek :P

No for real......I would think, Hyperion being a small company, they might have like five, maybe ten coders......which is put to wrok on porting games AND the OS AND updating the OS to PPC AND even more things.

This means, in my head at least, that the porting of OS3.9, plus updating to 4.0, WILL take time. "back in the days" of Commodore, there where likely a larger number of people which ONLY worked with the OS, and since the OS was only to be run on a set hardwarespecification, they didn't have to bother with portability. Which Hyperion needs todo.

And, just to repeat myself from another board, I rather have a "bugfree" (or at least, very minor bugs only) system/piece of software/game than having to update it every 3 days or so...... (a certain huge company's OS springs to mind)
Old 02 November 2005, 13:56   #28
woody57

Exclamation People are interested in your findings & opinions

Slayer is still an old skool Amiga zealot and I say that as NO disrespect because he has tirelessly supported & defended Amiga against many opposing threads & discusions.

For many of us still actually use physical Amiga machines as opposed to EMU it's a difficult task to have faith in anything but third party development for the bridge between classic-ppc & A1 machines.

Many like myself who are using PPC Amiga's could be said to have abandoned classic Amiga but for tasks other than gaming it's unrealistic timewise to full time try use the old platform

Like the A1 itself that was many years on the drawing board before it became a saleable item OS4 has arrived after its projected release date too.

In the meantime the world has not stopped & for many EMU has become the replacement, changing the tide of belief is a hard thing to do, so if there are NEW developments EAB needs to know ...otherwise there is little point of its exhistance.

The board as a whole supports many LIVING Amiga projects so to say has abandoned REAL Amiga is inacurate, however Slayer is as entitled to pass his opinion on the matter as you are in raising this thread in the 1st place.
Old 02 November 2005, 13:56   #29
Mikey_C

My personal experience is that of having come across some former users who didn't know the amiga was still around (albeit barely) and were really excited when I had told them about what was happening, I know there are a few on here who although once had an Amiga, never actually purchased any software (pirated) never tried the workbench, (I just wanna play games) etc.

However, there are others who are fed up to the back teeth with windows and would love to try something else.

Admittedly, they may not be on here, but who knows ;-)

Amiga - Remember when computing was fun?
Old 02 November 2005, 15:12   #30
Unknown_K

Send a message via ICQ to Unknown_K
I think people put too much hope into an underfunded OS that realy has no place in todays world except to a few diehards that can't move on from their glory days.

"Amiga - Remember when computing was fun?" You can remove Amiga and replace it with any platform you had when you were young and used it for anything except real work.

Is it realy that hard to admit Amiga died years ago and to move on to something a bit better supported? A computer is a tool, its not a religion. Just because you use a PC/Mac/Linux today box does not mean you cannot still like your old Amiga hardware. The X86 PC on the 1980's has evolved quite a bit to what it is today, nobody will think less of an Amiga zeolot if he uses a PC today even if the person crucified PC users back in the day. Things change, you need to adapt. The logic that braught you to the Amiga in the 1980's should have found you a more viable platform in this century already.
Old 02 November 2005, 15:39   #31
Mikey_C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown_K
The logic that braught you to the Amiga in the 1980's should have found you a more viable platform in this century already.
Actually, just so you know, I had a PC back in the 80's in the days when PC's were 286's and had 16 colours, made little beeps etc.

I got an Amiga back in 1992 (an A1200) back then, it was 386's and you could run Windows 3.10 or 3.11 - Compared to that, the little A1200 was a power house.

Until recently, I was an IT support engineer, I have given it all up to become a truck driver, it's less stress and I don't have to put up with people who find PC's and Windows too complicated by half. I also have a windows XP machine which I built myself.

My Amiga is far from outdated, perhaps your views are? I have a Power PC Micro AmigaOne, it runs OS4, I have a word processor, spreadsheet program, IRC client, Paint Programs, Email, News group reader, games, emulators, etc installed. The only thing really lacking on the current amiga scene is Firefox and Open Office.

My AmigaOne has 256mb on board. OS4 loads in under 50mb, that includes, themes, backdrops, commodities etc. Leaving me 206mb or RAM to run all those apps and games mentioned above. I have yet to run out of memory in my day to day usage. I don't need a swap file, It reboots in 7 seconds (from warm and boots in under 30 secs from cold)

Sure, the Amiga is very dead, lack of software is a disadvantage, but I don't worry about that, cos I can run MacOSX on it if I need to. (and I do)

But for a dead system, it runs really well, it's smooth, fast and doesn't come with half the headaches that windows xp has like, Viruses, Spyware, security updates etc, that don't have to be updated everyday.

Logic dictates that people would want to use an OS that has less aggrevation than what the herd follow.

Also, when I want to switch my Amiga off, I press the OFF switch, not hit the button marked "Start" then Shut down and wait a minute whilst it gets itself ready to do so.

Yeah, Amiga - Remember when computing was fun, doesn't apply, cos it's still fun.

EDIT, I have just realised this thread has gone way off topic, if anyone wants to discuss this further with me, I suggest you send me a PM.

Last edited by Mikey_C; 02 November 2005 at 15:58.
Old 02 November 2005, 16:38   #32
Unknown_K

Well I remember my 386 having 16 bit sound, a MIDI soundcard, VGA graphics, and it was expandible to 16MB of RAM without buying expensive addons. I do own a 1200 BTW. My 386 (and Wolfenstien) are probably why the A1200 and Amiga itself died out fairly quickly.

From what you described of the Amiga One machine it sounds like a cheap X86 running linux would do the same job at a much smaller price tag (and allow the use of Openoffice and Firefox). Why pay more for less? The original Amigas were way ahead of other platforms in the Audio/Video/Paint areas, where does the AmigaOne/OS4 break new ground?

I have to admit that classic Amiga OS was pretty good with limited resources, sounds like OS 4 follows in that tradition. The thing is RAM and HD space is pretty cheap today, negating the need for an OS with a small footprint.
Old 02 November 2005, 17:43   #33
Doc Mindie
In deep Trouble

The Small Footprint of AmigaOS, is IMHO very good. Install your WinXP. Install your modern Linux. Install the Modern AmigaOS. Which one leaves the most space for YOUR programs? WinXP isn't even usable for other than webbrowsing, in and by itself, and the installation is more than 1.5GB. Space taken up by things you'll hardly ever use. Granted, with the Linux, you'll get "everything" you need, right out of the box, except games which you need to install separatley. But this takes up something like 6GB or more (FedoraCore 4)

Then comes the Amiga. (Have still to try 4.0, talking 3.9 here, for classic)installed in something like 20MB. installs the programs Mikey_C talked about (for Classic, of course, not OS4 ). And you STILL haven't used much more than 150 MB, IF THAT MUCH!!!!

so. If we used a "clean" 80GB HD. After a full WinXP install, we've still got to install IRC, MSN Messenger (let's face it, Windows Messenger is crap), Office (OpenOffice should be enough for most) and everything else. how much space is left then? 60? 50?

Linux, same type HD.......something like 65GB left (assuming you made a swap partition of 2GB or somesuch)

Amiga. 80GB HD space before. Everything installed and you have.......79.8GB space for games and other junk......

I see a CLEAR advantage there.

Also I seem to recall, that Amiga games used less space than the PC versions. and that was BEFORE Win95. The few games that has been ported.....well. I guess they STILL use less space. So you get MORE crammed onto an Amiga disk than under the two others.

Which means, more value for your money.
Old 02 November 2005, 18:12   #34
Unknown_K

Well if HD space used is an indication on more value for your money then install DOS on the PC HD or Amiga OS 2.05 on a 2000!

I pick my OS and hardware by the applications I need to run on them. That is probably why I have so many machines by various makers and timelines in use every day (Amiga, Mac 68K/PPC, PC's from an 8088 to Athlon XP and quite a few in the middle, etc).
Old 02 November 2005, 18:35   #35
Mikey_C

No one is questioning your choice of computing platform, however, there is no need to sound off about someone else's choice.