English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 08 January 2019, 11:55   #1
c0dehunter

Beginner question about WHLoad (2 different methods?)

Hello all,

From what I have gathered is that you can either:

1) Install WHDload, then a game and its slave *driver*

or

2) Install WHDLoad *ready* game packs

What I am not clear is this:

In method 1, it would be almost *impossible* to set each individual game (and its slave), one by one, there are simply too many games/demos to be set this way.

Which makes method 2, a *much* faster and convenient method, but I am not sure how the actual installation of WHDload would facilitate the loading, since in most tutorial videos that I have watched, they simply run a *front-end* software (that they don't even bother mention how they installed and configured in the first place) and magically, run all the games from there.

Both of these videos are prime example of this:

[ Show youtube player ]

and

[ Show youtube player ]

In the first video, he uses GameMenu v1.2, the the second one uses iGame. Is this because that the ClassicWB that they installed, came pre-loaded with these *front-end* utilities?

Another thing I don't understand is why in both videos, they transfer all the operating system related files (not games, but kickstarts, system files, etc.) from DH0 to DH1.

The Real Question:

I have an Amiga 1200 (Escom model), that has 3.1 installed and ready to go, but I want to learn how to do it myself. So far, I have managed to remove the existing CF card drive, and clone it (thanks for you who helped me!), so now I know how to back up my CF cards in Amiga 1200.

Additionally, I manged to get to the point that, I can prepare and install WB on a real CF card, but I need to learn an efficient way (read: easy!) to install WHDload (and any *front-end* that you recommend), and install game packs.

Many thanks in advance!
Old 08 January 2019, 12:37   #2
-Acid-

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 08 January 2019, 14:11   #3
daxb

To install WHDLoad just use its installer or copy the files manually.

Some games/demos need kickstart image to run. See: http://whdload.de/docs/en/need.html

For the game "packs" I would recommend to use Retroplays pre-installed archives. After downloading you just need to unpack them. Then you can start them by double click the game icon.

Front-ends are optional.
Old 09 January 2019, 01:26   #4
c0dehunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxb View Post
To install WHDLoad just use its installer or copy the files manually.

Some games/demos need kickstart image to run. See: http://whdload.de/docs/en/need.html

For the game "packs" I would recommend to use Retroplays pre-installed archives. After downloading you just need to unpack them. Then you can start them by double click the game icon.

Front-ends are optional.

Thank you! By Retroplays pre-installed archives, you mean this, right?

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=61028

Also, why don't everyone, use these pre-installed packs then? Isn't it the easiest, most convenient, instead of the regular WHDLoad process?

Last edited by c0dehunter; 09 January 2019 at 01:36.
Old 09 January 2019, 03:10   #5
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

WHDload.de (with the plain installers) is the official place for all WHDLoad patches. The preinstalled games/game packs were created from thousands of this patches. And yes, it took a long time to do it. Ask KillerGorilla or Retroplay. Thanks to their work we can conveniently use all the games as "ready to play".
Old 09 January 2019, 12:23   #6
daxb

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0dehunter View Post
Thank you! By Retroplays pre-installed archives, you mean this, right
Yes. And you have to thank Retroplay for his work! But that doesn't mean that whdload.de is obsolete or of no use. I still update the slaves from there when new versions are released. In most cases (readme tells you) it is enough to update the .slave file and readme. If major changes were done then a updated pre-install could be necessary.

Oh, and over whdload.de you have access to the mantis bugtracker what you need if you found a bug or have a feature request. Then you should use it.
Old 10 January 2019, 07:22   #7
c0dehunter

If I’m using the pre-installed packs, do I still need to copy these so called renamed kickstarts to a folder on my Amiga?

Where is the path that I need to copy these kickstarts ?
Old 10 January 2019, 10:23   #8
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
If I’m using the pre-installed packs, do I still need to copy these so called renamed kickstarts to a folder on my Amiga?

Where is the path that I need to copy these kickstarts ?
The place is devs:kickstarts/ as you can see from the docs:
http://whdload.de/docs/en/need.html
Old 11 January 2019, 06:31   #9
c0dehunter

Thanks for the link.

I have not downloaded any of the Retroplay’s ready to play WHDLoad packs yet, but do these games come with trainers?

This is very important to me, as I have to have the trainers available for a given game, otherwise I have to resort to play the real floppy version of the games on my Amiga 500 instead.
Old 11 January 2019, 11:34   #10
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
I have not downloaded any of the Retroplay’s ready to play WHDLoad packs yet, but do these games come with trainers?
Some do, some don't... you need to check the slave "info" at http://whdload.de/.

For eaxmple: Shadow Warriors.
Old 12 January 2019, 02:31   #11
enigma776
Bringer of Death

Not sure if its required but I was told I needed to extract the lha from within the AmigaOS to stop corruption or file miss management, is this true? This is what I did with mine.
Old 12 January 2019, 04:30   #12
c0dehunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
The place is devs:kickstarts/ as you can see from the docs:
http://whdload.de/docs/en/need.html

According to this link, I can also copy them into WHDCOMMON:, where is location exactly? I could not locate it.
Old 12 January 2019, 05:35   #13
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
According to this link, I can also copy them into WHDCOMMON:, where is location exactly? I could not locate it.
Type 'cd WHDCOMMON:' in a shell and it will take you there if it exists.
Old 12 January 2019, 12:07   #14
daxb

But WHDCOMMON: is a device or an assign. I would guess that you need to create it first if you want to use it.
Old 12 January 2019, 12:13   #15
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma776 View Post
Not sure if its required but I was told I needed to extract the lha from within the AmigaOS to stop corruption or file miss management, is this true? This is what I did with mine.
Best to, this makes sure protection bits are intact and also as some games might write data back to files e.g. when saving highscores etc...
Old 13 January 2019, 02:30   #16
c0dehunter

Would anyone kindly provide a tutorial link (or explain in simple terms) Workbench's various folders purposes and where to install apps, etc.
(I have consulted the AmigaOS Workbench Wiki, but the explanation is a bit vague, at least to me!)

C:

Sys:

etc.

Thanks!
Old 13 January 2019, 02:34   #17
Hewitson

C: is where commands are kept. You'd generally put things like lha, lzx, whdload, etc in there.

SYS: is just an assign to your System partition, usually DH0:
Old 13 January 2019, 20:29   #18
c0dehunter

Can anyone kindly tell me why my WHDLoad games icons look like a small, tiny dot?

I am using Retroplay's WHD uploads, and although the games load and play find, each game's icon file in its drawer, looks like a dot. (readme, slave, other files, seem to have proper icons though)

Thank you!

edit: I tried to install DirectoryOpus, and ALL of its icons, look like small, tiny dots! Why?!!!

Last edited by c0dehunter; 15 January 2019 at 16:34.