English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 22 August 2008, 21:16   #301
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
Erm.... I already answered everything. Do you ever read replies?
Ahhh i get distracted by things of a shining nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
The guy wanted to mount the Xbox drives on his PC and I told him that XBMC has a SAMBA client, allowing you to mount PC drives/folders on xbox.

I tried to explain that (AFAIK) XBMC (or any other xbox dashboard) does not have a SAMBA server, which would allow you to mount the Xbox drives on the PC.

And all networking clients on the xbox do NOT use SAMBA! Xbox supports uPnP (both client and server) aka DLNA. Xbox also supports numerous other servers. The list is long and I cannot be arsed to type... look em up.
..... ..... . ..... hmmmmm..... fair enough.... I think your right.... there wasn't enough hardware pr0n in the post to hold my attention long enough to see the question.... and the answer....

I blame er.... Bippym and that Double D Damien.... a suss pair if ever there was one...

AdSense AdSense  
Old 23 August 2008, 00:26   #302
TheCorfiot
Amibay Senior Staff

Thanks Zetro & Alex

I shall give it a go & let you know

TC
Old 23 August 2008, 06:02   #303
klx300r

hmmmm been tempted in the past to do a soft mod on the ol XBox thats been picking up dust lately...damn ah well another 'to do' mod when i got time
Old 23 August 2008, 06:21   #304
gklinger
Vegetable Lasagna

@klx300r: If you do and you want some games, let me know. I've accumulated about 80 so far and I'd be glad to share them. Did you ever get your 1200 resorted?
Old 23 August 2008, 12:59   #305
TheCorfiot
Amibay Senior Staff

Hey Zetro & Alex Success...

That will teach me to use "Xbox" as username / pw rather than all lowercase characters

OK so using AID menu I did a backup of my eeprom to EE & transferred all of C & E to my XP PC using Network places with ftp://....etc as the address.

So that's my backup sorted of my original Retail HD.

Next stage
I install a new HD prepare & format using AID, then transfer the C & E backups (inc the eeprom backed up data) from my PC to the new HD using FTP.

Now the tricky bit
On the Xbox how do I restore the eeprom data & lock the new HD??? so I
can Switch the modchip off & boot the std Xbox BIOS & MSDash without it realising the HD has changed.

Baby steps but I'm getting there, Thanks to all for your help.

TC
Old 23 August 2008, 13:07   #306
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

You have a hard-mod which means your hard-drive does not need to be locked and you do not give a monkey about EPROM keys. Unless you intend to take the hard mod out or boot with the modchip disabled.

You didn't really need to bother backing up your old drive. With a hard mod you can just stick the new hard drive in. Boot from a installer DVD-R (I have always used Slayers but there AID should be comparable). Select the menu option format & prepare and install the M$ dash, then install a hacked dashboard (I use XBMC).

The end?

Last edited by alexh; 23 August 2008 at 13:17.
Old 23 August 2008, 13:12   #307
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@TC

Firstly you new hard disk must support locking, ermm my friend it does sound like you are going round the houses a bit after all you have a hard mod, all you need to do is just LOCK the HDD to the current rom and MSDash should boot no problems with the mod-chip disabled.

for instance..

after the hardware hack.

I placed the 10GB XBox drive in the graveyard of components...
Installed the nice 160GB HDD
Using my Xlite Programmer I programmed the X2.6 Bank 1 with Xecutor Bios 5032, and in Bank 2 Flash Bios 3.03
Placed the mod chip in the XBox and put the AID 3.01 disk in.

used the 1 touch installs

1. Prepare large hard disk (re-boot xbox and reload)
2. install XBMC Dash and all files
3. Install All Applications
4. Install All Emulators
5. Install All Tools

remove AID3.01 reboot and check setup

as i know where it is on the Slayers 2.7 disk i placed that in the drive. booted and selected Lock HDD

thats it... job done.... with a hard mod... you dont need to worry about any other bios... (unless you intend to remove it one day.
Old 23 August 2008, 13:18   #308
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

You dont need to worry about locking either.
Old 23 August 2008, 13:26   #309
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@Alexh

if i dont LOCK the hard disk when the x2.6 is disable it attempts to load msdash, however fails to a service required screen...

when the hdd is locked it works perfectly.
Old 23 August 2008, 13:48   #310
TheCorfiot
Amibay Senior Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetr0 View Post
@Alexh

if i dont LOCK the hard disk when the x2.6 is disable it attempts to load msdash, however fails to a service required screen...

when the hdd is locked it works perfectly.

Zetro & Alex

Thanks for your patience my friends.
OK I got it now.
Just fit the new HD & run the AID 4.3 prepare & install dash etc.

The reason I want to lock the HD is simply for when my daughter wants to use Xbox live & she needs to Boot the Xbox with the 2.6 modchip disabled.

My confidence does go up when I fully understand the process,

One final Question when locking the HD with the Xecuter Bios active, where does it get the eeprom data from so that when the HD is locked & the modchip is disabled the std M$ BIOS is happy to use the Locked HD ?

Cheers Guys.

TC

Last edited by TheCorfiot; 23 August 2008 at 13:59.
Old 23 August 2008, 15:10   #311
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
if i dont LOCK the hard disk when the x2.6 is disable it attempts to load msdash, however fails to a service required screen...when the hdd is locked it works perfectly.
Like anyone ever disables their modchips ever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCorfiot View Post
The reason I want to lock the HD is simply for when my daughter wants to use Xbox live & she needs to Boot the Xbox with the 2.6 modchip disabled.
Sure. Take care though. Even with the modchip off, without enough research as to what you have installed onto C:/ and E:/ you will almost certainly be banned the instant you go on live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCorfiot View Post
One final Question when locking the HD with the Xecuter Bios active, where does it get the eeprom data from so that when the HD is locked & the modchip is disabled the std M$ BIOS is happy to use the Locked HD ?
Erm..the EEPROM perhaps? The software that runs on the xbox to lock hard drives usually sets the password by reading the HDD key from the EEPROM and using it to lock the drive. Some tools also set a secondary master password to "TEAMASSEMBLY" just in case your xbox breaks and you do not know your EEPROM HDD key.

Last edited by alexh; 23 August 2008 at 16:59. Reason: Non!
Old 23 August 2008, 15:38   #312
TheCorfiot
Amibay Senior Staff

OK Alex

Cheers for that,

For some reason I thought the Original MS Bios read the eeprom data from the HD then used some sort of validity check to make sure it was legit & then unlocked the HD.

Did not realise that the eeprom was a separate chip on the mobo.

That explains all.

As for Xbox live well she will have to do without

Thanks guys

TC
Old 23 August 2008, 16:25   #313
klx300r

Quote:
Originally Posted by gklinger View Post
@klx300r: If you do and you want some games, let me know. I've accumulated about 80 so far and I'd be glad to share them. Did you ever get your 1200 resorted?
hey thanks Golan..ill defintely let you know if & when I get around to it
as for my 1200..I managed to back up all my stuff on my CF card easily, repartition my hd, and get her back & running really fast...I originally wanted to try 3.9 on one of the partitions but after reading about AmigaSYS im trying to get that running instead (besides the 3.9 CD I had had some major scratches on it that made the CD unreadable)
Old 23 August 2008, 19:47   #314
gklinger
Vegetable Lasagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by klx300r View Post
(besides the 3.9 CD I had had some major scratches on it that made the CD unreadable)
You're welcome to borrow mine.
Old 23 August 2008, 19:52   #315
Retroplay
Lemon Curry ?

Quote:
Why would you want to disable it anyway.
Old 26 August 2008, 19:31   #316
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
Inspired by this thread i picked up an xbox from car boot for 3 no leads or controller as the dvd drive door did`t open (dose now heheheh) borred a few leads from the ex to try it and on way home bumped into a neighbor who gave me an xbox with av/power leads and a controller which dos`t work , oh well

so now got do some reading up on softmodding, get a mem card, controller and a game

so Thanks to all you lovely ppl I now have another project and something to tinker with
Old 26 August 2008, 23:05   #317
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Do not bin your spare parts. You might be able to salvage something. If the motherboard of the broken one is totally dead the RAM chips and heat-sinks might still be useful.
Old 26 August 2008, 23:10   #318
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicfrog View Post
so Thanks to all you lovely ppl I now have another project and something to tinker with
I'm glad you got inspired by this topic. Softmod is well worth it!

Only one advice: get huuuuuggggeeeee HD.

After I installed all of my 50+ games, I'm slowly running out of space. (meaning that I got already most of good games )

@ Alex - do you know how to use game trainers on xbox? I installed script, but now I've no idea how to activate trainer for the game.
Old 26 August 2008, 23:25   #319
gklinger
Vegetable Lasagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
IOnly one advice: get huuuuuggggeeeee HD.
Excellent advice. I'm already starting to wish I had gone for something bigger than 320GB.

Anyone know what the filename limitations are with the XBOX? I've run into a few situations where the names of my mp3s where too long. I'm willing to do a global renaming if I can figure out what my limits are.
Old 26 August 2008, 23:55   #320
Adropac2
Zone Friend

only 42 letters etc per file or folder name allowed i think

these symbals are not accepted and likely more as well
< > = ? : ; " * + , / \ | &

You can get renamers but even then some files didn't seem to copy over.There is a renamer on unleash that doeas a reasonable job sometimes
AdSense AdSense