English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. Contest

Old 04 June 2019, 08:47   #1061
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgeezer View Post
You should see a Blue gradient sky getting darker toward the top of the display.

I think the filter you have on there is a bit too powerful ... for example, you can't see the drone enemy properly because it has blended into the rocks.

Geezer
I did some test, i see them better with the quick start config.
But surely because i'm daltonian i don't see them so much.
paint shop pro count 110 colours, they are there for sure.
I know that this is a big request, i would have done the same than you if i was able to do it and wasn't daltonian, but could you if it'sn't too difficult try a different set of copper list with much differences between the blue, a kind of daltonian mode like they are doing in actual new games.
I don't know how much time it could take to change the copper list, if it's too much work forget about it.

like i said it's the 1st time i can detect my problem in the real life (i'm daltonian in the blue)... Your work is too perfect for a daltonian a daltonian like me who can't detect a so tiny difference of colours in the blue.
ps: this experience will puch me to try the new daltonian glasses. when i see the reaction of those guys, the difference seems incredible : [ Show youtube player ]
Old 04 June 2019, 09:01   #1062
mcgeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by turrican3 View Post
I did some test, i see them better with the quick start config.
But surely because i'm daltonian i don't see them so much.
paint shop pro count 110 colours, they are there for sure.
I know that this is a big request, i would have done the same than you if i was able to do it and wasn't daltonian, but could you if it'sn't too difficult try a different set of copper list with much differences between the blue, a kind of daltonian mode like they are doing in actual new games.
I don't know how much time it could take to change the copper list, if it's too much work forget about it.

like i said it's the 1st time i can detect my problem in the real life (i'm daltonian in the blue)... Your work is too perfect for a daltonian a daltonian like me who can't detect a so tiny difference of colours in the blue.
ps: this experience will puch me to try the new daltonian glasses. when i see the reaction of those guys, the difference seems incredible : [ Show youtube player ]

If you modify your existing screenshots to how the sky looks good for you then i might be able to add it as an option toward the end of the project.

How is it referred to in new games?
Old 04 June 2019, 09:31   #1063
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

Quote:
If you modify your existing screenshots to how the sky looks good for you then i might be able to add it as an option toward the end of the project.

How is it referred to in new games?
Really incredible, thank you. I find a way to make it because like i can't see those difference of colours, it could have been difficult but like there is a new feature in winuae : monochrome, i can see now where the colours shift, i could use it to make what is necessary. can i use a pc tool like paint.net or i have to use deluxe paint ?? I suppose that if i use deluxe paint in ham it will be the best solution for you ??? or is it the same for you if i use paint.net ??
i just did a test online : i'm strong deutan. The first amiga game with a daltonian mode !! again thank you.
Old 04 June 2019, 09:37   #1064
mcgeezer

Quote:
Really incredible, thank you. I find a way to make it because like i can't see those difference of colours, it could have been difficult but like there is a new feature in winuae : monochrome, i can see now where the colours shift, i could use it to make what is necessary. can i use a pc tool like paint.net or i have to use deluxe paint ?? I suppose that if i use deluxe paint in ham it will be the best solution for you ??? or is it the same for you if i use paint.net ??
i just did a test online : i'm strong deutan. The first amiga game with a daltonian mode !! again thank you.

You can use any tool you like reallly... i use Paint.net, Promotion-ng and Ppaint.

All you need to do is show the gradient that looks good for you and then I can add adjustment options into the game menu.

Graeme
Old 04 June 2019, 10:51   #1065
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

i just did some tests the 1st pic is png and the 2nd is an iff zipped. Now i can see the colours perhaps i still miss 1 or 2.
is it enough to help ??
edited : how does it look for you ?? horrible ?? I mean for a none daltonian ??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image5.png
Views:	126
Size:	443 Bytes
ID:	63363  
Attached Files
File Type: zip Image5.zip (535 Bytes, 93 views)

Last edited by turrican3; 04 June 2019 at 11:04.
Old 04 June 2019, 17:55   #1066
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

it will give something like that :
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	rygar new gradient.png
Views:	188
Size:	18.0 KB
ID:	63366  
Old 04 June 2019, 18:04   #1067
mcgeezer

Quote:
Yeah that's easy enough...

I'm not sure it looks better though from my point of view, sometimes the copper can be a bit over used which is why I had close gradients.

I'll put it in as it's a five minute job and see what people think.
Old 04 June 2019, 18:58   #1068
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
I concur... I cant get this to crash - I have no bloody idea why which is the frustrating part... it is bound to resurface [...]
As we say here: "All you have to do is talk about the wolf and it comes out of the hole". Just hope it's the wolf you were looking for...
New PM

Quote:
Maybe I am colour-blind without knowing it but I prefer @turrican3 gradient .
Old 04 June 2019, 20:37   #1069
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
I'm not sure it looks better though from my point of view, sometimes the copper can be a bit over used which is why I had close gradients.
Neither am I.

The sky in turrican3's has too much purple and not enough blue.

Here's an easy side-by-side comparison.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Original.png
Views:	206
Size:	16.4 KB
ID:	63369   Click image for larger version

Name:	Turrican3.png
Views:	197
Size:	16.2 KB
ID:	63370  
Old 04 June 2019, 21:21   #1070
vulture

I prefer the original gradient by far, but if it could be included optionally to suit T3's needs, I'm absolutely all for it. It's up to mcgeezer obviously.
Old 04 June 2019, 21:51   #1071
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
"option for daltonian" lawl
Old 04 June 2019, 22:20   #1072
DamienD
Banned

Another small bug, very similar to what I reported here (which you already knew about).

If you also "jump" just at the second you are entering the sanctuary, you will jump twice and be stuck in the air whilst the bonus adds up

Whilst we are at it, I might as well mention that when in the sanctuary your feet seem to have disappeared... I'm sure you know this already
Old 04 June 2019, 22:30   #1073
mcgeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Another small bug, very similar to what I reported here (which you already knew about).

If you also "jump" just at the second you are entering the sanctuary, you will jump twice and be stuck in the air whilst the bonus adds up

Whilst we are at it, I might as well mention that when in the sanctuary your feet seem to have disappeared... I'm sure you know this already
Didn't know about this one mate... thanks for the heads up!

More bloody debugging!
Old 04 June 2019, 23:34   #1074
Frog

hello Mr MCGeezer,
i've tested http://109.228.4.199/downloads/RygarEAB11.adf and i've be freezed in round05, the music is still playing but nothing move anymore

if you want i can upload a savestate

Another thing, when you hit the column of monkey, the monkey from above don’t come down

EDIT :

in the beginning of the round06 a little bug where there was a bonus :

Last edited by Frog; 04 June 2019 at 23:49.
Old 05 June 2019, 00:42   #1075
ExiE

some of these might sound like nitpicking so no stress :-)
also I am not aware of any official bug tracker so maybe double posting...
1. missing feet

2. if you die near this "double hill" after resurrection there is the gap between the hills. Same can happen also at the beginning of the level 4

3. lizards are missing feet and looks a bit too low

also few more:
the rope is not acting as in the original, stretching is different
the rope is starting not low enough, there is gap
the rope show up only after the player reach the spot, in the original, rope is there all the time.
i expected I should press jump to get off the rope not right and it is working only in some limited area, simply it is weird.

4. i died several times on the rope and somehow the bat gets completely off to the left

5. Actually I am not sure how the original game plays but in your port if you die and get resurrected, the "hard" part is over. For example I never killed the rhino. He always killed me and after resurrection the rhino was done. I think for better gameplay, player should resurrect like one screen back and have another try on the mob...

great job anyway
Old 05 June 2019, 08:05   #1076
mcgeezer

Thanks @DamienD, @Frog and @Exie for the bug reporting - they are all valid and I will add to the list apart from the rope line changes... this (for me) is quite difficult to code and the rope scene only appears in a fraction of the game. The misplaced sprites and obstacles I can certainly sort out.

There is still a memory corruption bug lurking and at the moment I still can't find it... I'm getting closer but it is really difficult to uncover.

Anyway... I'm off to Ibiza until Monday so enjoy the rest of your week everyone and your weekend - I know I will (as long as this BlueKeep vulnerability doesn't kick off and cancel all of the flights )

Geezer
Old 05 June 2019, 09:27   #1077
DamienD
Banned

Ibiza; oh I'm very jealous!!!

Have an awesome time away
Old 05 June 2019, 11:17   #1078
Hewitson

I'm personally not a huge fan of either of the gradients used to be honest. I think mcgeezer's is a bit too basic, but I think turrican3's is too over the top.
Old 05 June 2019, 15:45   #1079
Foul

Send a message via ICQ to Foul Send a message via MSN to Foul
Little bug report :

Stage 1 :

- Too many power bonus ! i had all the bonuses just on stage 1
- Cannot get the little bonus on transparency after getting all Power Bonus (just this one...)

- The shield is not following the hero in the endlevel.
- The stones at every endlevel are inverted, head to the right at the entrance and left to the exit

Stage 2 :

- The monsters that mount on top of each other do not descend when the ones below are killed, the top one stay in air !

Stage 3 :

- Cannot jump over the birds without dying (normally you can't over the first one and travel all the level like this )

Stage 4 :

- When a bonus appear on the floor (A)... i shoot the bonus and it appears on the tree (B)

Stage 5 :

- The rope is not visible before catching it

- When you catch the rope, it kill automatically the bird/monster just over !

Stage 6 :

- Transparency Bonus prob

- Bonus in the air :

And just after, the guy falling from the rocks are too many ! in the arcade it's random, 1,2,3,4... guys could fall but not ALL AT ONCE !
Old 05 June 2019, 16:58   #1080
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Neither am I.

The sky in turrican3's has too much purple and not enough blue.

Here's an easy side-by-side comparison.
I'm ok with you guys but i'm not able to see the same than you, it costs me many jobs, in the train, in the police. They pushed me out because i didn't see those colours. offcourse what you see is better, mine isn't better for a normal guy, it's better for some daltonians,it was even hard to find colours in this range that i can see perfectly.I have no doubt that the work of mcgeezer is perfect, because of this precision, i can't see them. It's certainly not the 1st time i can't see those gradients, but it's the 1st time i know it, it's the 1st time that somone tell me that there is a beautifull gradient there and sadly, i can't see it. I would like to see them but i can't. The guy who is wrong it's me, not the work of mcgeezer, he did an amazing job, like everyone can see even me without this gradient.
ps: i will buy thos glasses for daltonians but i'm not sure it will work for looking at a monitor, it says for outside. But enough offtopic, thank you mcgeezer for your fantastic job and not only you all the guys who did it.