English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 05 December 2002, 23:30   #1
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

Cool Amiga in the Arcades!!!

I bet this thread caught a few attentions. Lol. What I want to find out is how many Amiga games made it into the arcades. I don't want people mentioning games which were converted to the Amiga from arcade machines like Robocop and Rainbow Islands and the million other games. I want to know how many Amiga games were converted INTO arcade machines. I know of one Amiga game that was converted to an arcade machine but I'll keep quiet for now till I see if anyone else mentions it. I spotted it being mentioned in an old Amiga magazine. So how many Amiga->Arcade games is there?
Old 05 December 2002, 23:34   #2
Mr Softy

Send a message via ICQ to Mr Softy Send a message via MSN to Mr Softy
Smile

Nice thread!

Black Tiger/Black dragon (capcom) but I'm not sure. Anyone can confirm?
Old 05 December 2002, 23:46   #3
Antiriad
The Sacred Armour Of

Well, i heard somewhere that Xenon in the arcades WAS an Amiga in a arcade cabinet!

MAN! Id kill to own one of those!
Old 05 December 2002, 23:51   #4
oldpx

Quote:
Nice thread!

Black Tiger/Black dragon (capcom) but I'm not sure. Anyone can confirm
I think it is Capcom CPS1 hardware

Old 05 December 2002, 23:55   #5
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Black Tiger was surely made first for arcades by capcom.
Old 06 December 2002, 00:01   #6
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

Post Loopz

Loopz by Audiogenic turned into an arcade coin-op after it was released on the Amiga.

US Gold developed the game Strider and Capcom liked it so much they made a coin-op from the idea - which was then converted to the Amiga.

Also F1GP sort of existed - someone made up a full cabinet with steering wheel and pedals had it on show at one of the World of Commodore shows in Australia. It was running on an Amiga apparently.
Old 06 December 2002, 00:01   #7
Amiga1992

Yup, that's how it is. But dunno if it is CPS1, I think it's just a normal JAMMA board.

Lemmings was one of these games. And all those Arcadia (or something) games were running on Amigas.
Old 06 December 2002, 00:15   #8
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

Re: Loopz

Quote:
Originally posted by Codetapper
Loopz by Audiogenic turned into an arcade coin-op after it was released on the Amiga.

US Gold developed the game Strider and Capcom liked it so much they made a coin-op from the idea - which was then converted to the Amiga.

Also F1GP sort of existed - someone made up a full cabinet with steering wheel and pedals had it on show at one of the World of Commodore shows in Australia. It was running on an Amiga apparently.
Interesting Codetapper.
I never new any of that.
No one has mentioned the game I was thinking of so I'll mention it now. It's (drumroll)... Zool.

Has anyone actually played these Amiga Arcade games? I haven't.

Anywho here's an interesting Amiga/Arcade link:
http://www.ifrance.com/ninjaw/cd32/
Old 06 December 2002, 01:59   #9
Marlon

I actually played the Xenon machine in Blackpool, it was pretty identical to the Amiga version from what I remember. Road Wars was another Amiga game that made it to the arcades, pity it was so crap really.

One game that SHOULD'VE made it to the arcades; Stunt Car Racer. How cool would THAT have been? (especially in a hydraulic cabinet).
Old 06 December 2002, 03:43   #10
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Codetapper, are you sure your info on Strider is correct? That's very interesting, I didn't know about that...

Lemmings was converted to arcades? That sounds sooo stupid.. how would Lemmings play on arcade ?

Road Wars was also available on Spectrum and MSX.. I didn't know there was an arcade game of it...

One Amiga game that would rule on arcades would be Battle Squadron.
Old 06 December 2002, 04:03   #11
BippyM
Global Moderator

Zool?!?!?
Old 06 December 2002, 05:08   #12
gary

Do any of you know someone who owns/runs a video game arcade? It is fairly straight forward to hook up amigas to the older style (lo-res) arcade cabinets and it would be interesting to see how a game like battle squadron would do especially if the cost per game was really low (eg: back to 1980's prices). The tricky bit would be getting the game to only allow starting once the coin mechanism had been triggered.

Rainbow Islands (Amiga) only allows play based on credits from pressing the space bar. The older coinslots just flicked a switch which could be connected to the space bar trigger of the Amiga keyboard.

I wonder if todays arcade game-playing public would play an old-style game if the credit price was real low.
Old 06 December 2002, 09:40   #13
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

The reason that Xenon and Road Wars arcade versions are the same as the Amiga versions is that the arcade machines used Amiga hardware.

Arcadia and Mastertronic collaborated to make these 'Arcadia' machines. Games like Aaargh!, Xenon, Sidewinder, Road Wars, Rockford and Ninja Mission were released in the arcades.
Old 06 December 2002, 09:44   #14
fiath

Just so we have the arcadia games actually listed in this thread...

Air Hockey
Blasta Bowl
Ninja Mission
Pool
180 Darts
Sidewinder
Space Ranger
Sporttime Bowling
Xenon
Aargh
Leader Board Golf
Magic Johnson's Fast Break
RoadWars
Rockford

http://amiga.emugaming.com/arcadia.html
Old 06 December 2002, 09:50   #15
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

I'm not sure if the arcade machine was called "Blasta Bowl", but the Amiga game is Blastaball...
Old 06 December 2002, 12:43   #16
Tim Janssen

Arrow Zool & Lemmings

At Planetemu.net one can download the arcadeversion of Lemmings for MAME. It seems the game was officially never released. I have tried to play the game in MAME but it is one unplayable drivel because it is only suited for mouse-input, not two buttoned-arcade machine joysticks.

Steve is right - Another game that was rumoured to be released in the Arcades is Gremlin’s Zool. In German magazine Amiga Joker it was featured in the newssection. It even featured a screenshot of a Zool Arcade cabinet.
Old 06 December 2002, 13:24   #17
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

Happy Re: Zool & Lemmings

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Janssen
At Planetemu.net one can download the arcadeversion of Lemmings for MAME. It seems the game was officially never released. I have tried to play the game in MAME but it is one unplayable drivel because it is only suited for mouse-input, not two buttoned-arcade machine joysticks.

Steve is right - Another game that was rumoured to be released in the Arcades is Gremlin’s Zool. In German magazine Amiga Joker it was featured in the newssection. It even featured a screenshot of a Zool Arcade cabinet.
Woohoo!!!

I spotted it in an old Amiga Format. I'll see if I can find the magazine issue. I imagine that the Zool arcade machine would also use standard Amiga hardware with no special extra chips. Could you scan the screenshot of the Zool cabinet Tim? I don't have a scanner at home.
Old 06 December 2002, 13:33   #18
NytroX86

Imagine playing the ingame Zool arcade machine, in the Funfair world, on a real Zool arcade machine..... Spinout

Old 06 December 2002, 15:48   #19
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Re: Zool & Lemmings

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Janssen
I have played it on he NES, SNES and Genesis and it's fine with a joypad.. But the mouse is best or the game.
Old 06 December 2002, 17:30   #20
Djay
95th User

Zool as featured a level with an arcade cabinet for Zool, Zool has to jump on the buttons and the Zool character on arcade machines screen jumps....