English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 24 January 2002, 01:50   #1
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Amiga in the arcades

Anybody remember the Mad Dog Mcree game in the arcades? It was known as the first interactive shooting game with full motion live video. But did you know that it was run on two A500 boards?

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI...tem=1063465118
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	maddogmcree.jpg
Views:	1791
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	1674  
Old 24 January 2002, 02:45   #2
mangar72

Also

I remember it being the first cd-rip to pass through my area code back in the day.

Old 24 January 2002, 03:56   #3
jmmijo

Yeah I remember it, seems to me there were quite a few Sega arcade machines with Amiga boards in them as well. I think that's why the actual Amiga release of the title looked just like the arcade, sans the insert coin part
Old 24 January 2002, 10:39   #4
Tim Janssen

Post Lemmings & Zool: The arcade games

What about the fuss some years ago of a Lemmings and Zool coin-op? Some magazines stated these Amiga games would get a coin-op treat but it never happened.
Old 24 January 2002, 11:13   #5
fiath

Arcadia

Nice, I didn't know that...

There was another full Arcade Amiga system called Arcadia, see:

http://amiga.emugaming.com/arcadia.html

Which was basically an effort by Mastertronic.

You can find many screenshots of these games here ('88 onwards):

http://unmamed.mame.net/non_other80.html

"These titles were made by a group called Mastertronic under the label of Arcadia. They were based on the Amiga hardware, and possibly only released in Europe and Australia. According to Zzapp64, these games were part of the Super Select System, similar to a Playchoice-10 but with Amiga-based games. The first five make the "Sports Simulation" package, while the latter five are the "Arcade Action" package. "

Bally/Sente's also had one, the Super Sente System, and that was also based on an Amiga board. But I am not sure that even got off the ground.

Neither of these is emulated.... (
Old 24 January 2002, 11:21   #6
fiath

Sega Machines

Quote:
Originally posted by jmmijo
Yeah I remember it, seems to me there were quite a few Sega arcade machines with Amiga boards in them as well. I think that's why the actual Amiga release of the title looked just like the arcade, sans the insert coin part
Do you know what the name of the Sega system is was? No offense, but I think this is a myth. AFAIK there were no Amiga based coin-ops produced by Sega, after all, why would they? They were once one of the greatest coin-op hardware manufaturers in the world, using dedicated hardware depending on the type of games it might run (hence the complex "maths chip" for Afterburner & similar games).

The only similarities is probably the fact that many Sega systems used 68K CPU's in many of their machines.

Goto www.system16.com and look at all the hardware from around the Amiga time... Well, I couldn't find anything, and a lot of that information is direct from Sega itself...
Old 24 January 2002, 12:04   #7
Drake1009

I was wondering though. The 68000 chip. How many places was that used? It was used in the A500 for one thing, but if you look through some games running under MAME a bit of them will also be using a 68000 chip. For example. Marvel super heroes would be using an 68000 chip at 11 Mhz and a Z80 chip (Wasn't that the one in Spectrums?)
Old 24 January 2002, 13:38   #8
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

At that point in time,from late eighties to early ninties I recall a heap of machines that seemed based on the 68000 series by Motorola.
There was the Amiga & Apple Mac's. The Atari ST range used them as did the Falcon, The Sega Megadrive also used them too, & as Drake pointed out several arcade games. It's what made the 16bits become quite popular over the 8bit systems as smooth translations of arcade games could occur for the Amiga/ST with few hassles. Just a shame in hindsight so many were crap in reality,(Not all though).
Old 24 January 2002, 13:48   #9
fiath

Yeah, I agree, the 68000 was almost without doubt *the* most influential chip of the 16-bit era. Apart from the consoles (MegaDrive/Genesis), Jaguar, others and the computers already mentioned. It was in *countless* arcade machines (including tons of the more famous Sega systems), and so were it's successors (e.g. 68020 in the Taito F3 hardware)

Probably because it was so nice to program for...

It is still used today in embedded systems in the form of the ColdFire chip.

Yes, the Z80 powers the Spectrum, and the MSX, SMS, GG, GB, ZX80, etc. etc. etc.
Old 24 January 2002, 20:31   #10
jmmijo

Re: Sega Machines

Quote:
Originally posted by fiath

Do you know what the name of the Sega system is was? No offense, but I think this is a myth. AFAIK there were no Amiga based coin-ops produced by Sega, after all, why would they? They were once one of the greatest coin-op hardware manufaturers in the world, using dedicated hardware depending on the type of games it might run (hence the complex "maths chip" for Afterburner & similar games).

The only similarities is probably the fact that many Sega systems used 68K CPU's in many of their machines.

Goto www.system16.com and look at all the hardware from around the Amiga time... Well, I couldn't find anything, and a lot of that information is direct from Sega itself...
You could be correct on this one Faith, but I do remember reading info about this in one or more Amiga/CBM mags, at least here in the states that is. Seems strange that CBM would have been quoted as saying they had sold many boards to Sega and other arcade makers if in fact they never did. I guess it could fall under marketing hype
Old 24 January 2002, 22:48   #11
Amiga1992

Yeah that's all bollocks. even when the Sega arcade conversions liek Space harrier may look very similar, those games were not running under Amiga hardware. Sega always built their arcade hardware (until today).

perhaps if they did sell some boards, it was because Sega might have wanted to investigate development on the Amiga platform (that would have been FAB), or maybe they wanted to use them as some sort of cross dev platform... like Atari did with the Lynx (Lynx soft was developed under AmigaOS).

Anyway, I never heard of these Amiga arcade systems, I always thought Mad Dog McCree was some other type of hardware! how interesting!!! There is also another pseudo amiga arcade hardware, the guys who made Agony developed a few games around it... I dont remember very well about this data, try to make a search for art&magic, see what turns up.
Old 24 January 2002, 22:55   #12
Amiga1992

I forgot...

It would be AWESOME to make a board to store these ROMs and convert your meega in an Arcadia system. This game Roadwars looks particularly interesting. Is there a disk version of it?

anyway, I'd still like to know how they made it. Theoretically you could convrt any game to this format, we could make an Amiga console!
Old 25 January 2002, 02:38   #13
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Or how about a NeoAmeego arcade system!
Old 25 January 2002, 02:44   #14
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Oh yeah...I posted two different Road Wars disks for you. I am at work, so I am unable to look at them, but they were in my dirs of TOSEC converted files. The filesizes are different and the dates are different so I just posted both of them. I haven't booted this game since the early days; I will when I get home for sure, but they are online for your perusal in the meantime!
Old 25 January 2002, 20:47   #15
thinlega
.:Part-Time Winner:.

Amiga Arcade

I can remember seeing (not sure where?) A *working* Zool Arcade machine .......It was either in a magazine or when I won a competition to get shown round Gremalin Graphics ..........
Old 25 January 2002, 23:02   #16
Amiga1992

Shit, the files will expire for when I get home Do you mind reposting them at the zone when I get back to BA, Twist?

Mr ShinChan , perhaps the Zool arcade (if it exists/existed)was based around Jaguar hardware? Zool on the jaguar is quite cool.
Old 26 January 2002, 01:15   #17
Uukrul

Spanish company Dinamic released two arcade machines with Amiga hardware running After the War and Hammer Boy.

Take a look at http://unmamed.mame.net/

Old 26 January 2002, 10:15   #18
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Thanks for the cool link (which I spent the whole evening following links from!). I saw the mention of Hammer Boy, but nothing on After The War. Is there a link about this game anywhere?
Old 26 January 2002, 16:57   #19
Uukrul

I have somewhere a spanish magazine (Micromania) with pics but no scanner , so I'm 100% sure about it.

Last edited by Uukrul; 26 January 2002 at 17:03.

Old 26 January 2002, 19:56   #20
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Thanks. I am trying to keep a listing of the Amiga's presence in the coin-op world.