English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Other

Old 01 April 2016, 23:41   #1
necronom

Any software to see technical OS details?

As part of a project I'm helping with, I've been asked the following:

"I don't know how much you are able to get 'beneath' OS 1.0, but if there are any ways you can display any functions within functions for example [people] talk about the number of DMA channels and how they were able to share processor cycles between the 3 custom chips and the 68000 chip, it is hard for us to represent this [visually] and also other very technical elements"

Does anyone know if there's anything available for the A1000 (KS/WB 1.0 or 1.1 would probably be okay) that can show anything like this?
Old 02 April 2016, 08:04   #2
ajk

You would probably need to see all this while the Amiga is running some software that intensively uses the chipset, like a demo or game? All demanding software tends to take over the system, so you can't really have other programs running at the same time. It probably needs to be an external solution.

WinUAE has all sorts of debugging aids, including a recently added memory activity map, which might help visualize at least some of the things you want. Of course it is emulation, but it is quite precise, so if you ran the same demo (or whichever piece of code) on the actual A1000 and in WinUAE, you might get a reasonable visualization by combining footage of both.

Also, Kickstart 1.0 ..? There are various system sniffer programs for the Amiga, e.g. SnoopDOS, but most of those probably aren't going to run with KS 1.0, and don't show stuff happening quite at the hardware level which seems to be what you need.
Old 02 April 2016, 11:49   #3
necronom

Thanks for the reply. I've just installed Beta 9. I couldn't find the memory and debugging parts, but I'll have a search and see if I can find some info on it.
Old 02 April 2016, 12:05   #4
ajk

Please have a look at this thread regarding the "heatmap". The WinUAE subforum is a good place to browse also regarding other debug stuff.