English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 13 April 2017, 10:36   #681
Schoenfeld
electricky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grond View Post
Sounds like it's not going to work with a Vampire.
Wha that? If V1200 gives full access to the lower 16MB (maybe "minus 1M trapdoor mem"), it will work.

Quote:
AFAIK the Indivision ECS chunky mode doesn't work with the v600 so I'd expect the same thing to happen with the Indivision AGA and v1200.
Indivision ECS Framebuffer mode goes through unused chip registers. If V600 blocks them, this is expected behaviour. You have an FPGA, you can change the mem layout or make it switchable with a "magic sequence". We're using the same technique on the Chameleon for hiding/opening the additional register set, and it's good practise for anyone else making add-ons for a computer that is supposed to run a library of well over 100k titles that you can't possibly all test for compatibility with your reduced register access.

Jens
Old 13 April 2017, 19:22   #682
michaelz

Jens stated it (if I remember correctly) Amiga Reloaded will support his own ACA and the Blizzard accelerators. Since the Vampire is (most likely) going to use the trapdoor expansion slot, this will probably both fit and work on this board. Jens is no fan of the Vampire (claiming some issues on the 600/500 scan doublers to these) and will most likely not support you when you try.
Old 14 April 2017, 00:28   #683
eXeler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelz View Post
Jens stated it (if I remember correctly) Amiga Reloaded will support his own ACA and the Blizzard accelerators. Since the Vampire is (most likely) going to use the trapdoor expansion slot, this will probably both fit and work on this board. Jens is no fan of the Vampire (claiming some issues on the 600/500 scan doublers to these) and will most likely not support you when you try.
Jens is right to not offer "support" for say Vampire users, but if it works technically that's another question. Its obviously an oversimplification to say that if a Blizzard works in both Reloaded and a genuine A1200, then the Vampire should too.. But I really hope it will.. Its the perfect opportunity to build a new 1200 from entirely new components (new mobo, new accelerator, new case, new keycaps (possibly also keyboard later on).
Old 14 April 2017, 03:29   #684
NovaCoder

I don't think it's even such a big deal if (IF) the reloaded motherboard doesn't work with the Vampire. What kind of benefit would a Vampire user get from using an updated motherboard? If you are using a Vampire you might as well stick to the old motherboard or just ditch the motherboard entirely.
Old 14 April 2017, 07:59   #685
Romanujan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaCoder View Post
What kind of benefit would a Vampire user get from using an updated motherboard?
- brand new board; not something aged, often with unknown history
- faster IDE
- much faster chip memory
- ability to use modern power supply easily
Old 14 April 2017, 09:44   #686
eXeler0

@NovaCoder
Like @Romanujan says. It also gives you options. If you get tired of the Vampire you can always toss it out and put a 030 card into it butvwith the benefits mentioned.
But I get what you are saying. I could put a standalone Vampire board into a 1200 case and probably save some cash but that is going to look weird with lots of ports missing in the back, "loose" cables coming out if the back etc...
Also, I'll admit that this retro fixation around A1200 isn't based on entirely cold logic and pure financial calculations. Theres a pinch of nostalgia and love in the equation ;-)
Old 14 April 2017, 14:14   #687
Amiga1992

If the Vampire really is going the way of it being standalone, I see no reason to have it attached to any Amiga computer.
Old 14 April 2017, 15:53   #688
grond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
If the Vampire really is going the way of it being standalone, I see no reason to have it attached to any Amiga computer.
Case, keyboard and generally the whole subjective look&feel. If the two are technically identical, I'd prefer an accelerator over a stand-alone. I might think differently if I didn't still own my A1200 from back in the day.
Old 14 April 2017, 16:22   #689
Amiga1992

Quote:
Case, keyboard and generally the whole subjective look&feel.
That still doesn't require a motherboard.
You can use Keyrah for keyboard connectivity.
Cases and keyboards can be found around.
Old 14 April 2017, 16:37   #690
Pyromania

@Schoenfeld

E-mail me or call me as soon as I can order an Amiga Reloaded please. Make it great, do your best and kick ass! Don't make the Vampires bite me, they are getting close to doing that.
Old 15 April 2017, 00:40   #691
NovaCoder

Quote:
Exactly, and even less reason to try and attached it to the Reloaded
Old 15 April 2017, 23:13   #692
kolla
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romanujan View Post
- faster IDE
Why would I use that rather than the much faster built in storage controller on the Vampire?

Quote:
- much faster chip memory
But I will use SAGA on the Vampire, which is a lot more faster again!

Quote:
- ability to use modern power supply easily
You can easily get new power supplies.
Old 16 April 2017, 00:18   #693
eXeler0

I see two types of reasoning here. No one is really wrong here, but why is it so difficult to accept that some ppl want options even if its not the simplest choice or the cheapest one.
To use a somewhat funky analogy;
If you want to go to a certain destination, a straight line might be the most obvious way of getting there, but not everyone will enjoy that journey.
;-)
If you don't like the Reloaded, don't buy it, but why care so much if others do? ;-)
Old 19 April 2017, 10:01   #694
Daedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXeler0 View Post
I see two types of reasoning here. No one is really wrong here, but why is it so difficult to accept that some ppl want options even if its not the simplest choice or the cheapest one.
To use a somewhat funky analogy;
If you want to go to a certain destination, a straight line might be the most obvious way of getting there, but not everyone will enjoy that journey.
;-)
If you don't like the Reloaded, don't buy it, but why care so much if others do? ;-)
And that there is the whole Amiga scene in a nutshell. Lots of people who have convinced themselves that their straight line is the only valid route, so anyone who goes a different way must be wrong.
Old 19 April 2017, 12:24   #695
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
I really want Vampire 1200 and I will buy it when available. If the A1200 reloaded will be compatible with it, I will also buy A1200 reloaded. Double hapiness. But Vampire first.
Old 20 June 2017, 21:50   #696
Mick

Any news on when this is likely to be available? or any other news on progress for that matter? I'm really looking forward to it.
Old 21 June 2017, 19:29   #697
E-Penguin
Banana

Seeing as the Vampire (with SAGA) doesn't use the chipset it seems a bit of a waste to have a new motherboard with NOS chips and not use them.

But, if someone wants to spend their money that way why not.
Old 21 June 2017, 19:45   #698
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Penguin View Post
Seeing as the Vampire (with SAGA) doesn't use the chipset it seems a bit of a waste to have a new motherboard with NOS chips and not use them.
But the motherboard was not made "for Vampire", actually, only compatibility with Jens accelerators is assured. Anything else "could/might" work, but not assured (yet)
Old 21 June 2017, 19:57   #699
Ffin

Quote:
But the motherboard was not made "for Vampire", actually, only compatibility with Jens accelerators is assured. Anything else "could/might" work, but not assured (yet)
No motherboards were made "for vampire".
Old 21 June 2017, 20:22   #700
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ffin View Post
No motherboards were made "for vampire".
Who said that, dear troll?