English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 05 March 2004, 05:35   #1
Adeptus
epun umop ap!sdn

Emulators on XBox?

A friend of mine has an XBox. I noticed a few people on here saying they're good for emulation, was wondering what emu's are available for it?

Back in the day he had NES, SNES, ST, & loved the arcades too
(& my Amiga...)
Old 05 March 2004, 06:02   #2
Damage

Nearly all the emulator that are on the pc i think, i know there are 50+ emu for xbox there was a good webpage, but sorry i lost the link maybe someone here has it?.

Old 05 March 2004, 10:40   #3
turk182

Like damage said ,most are available including no system specific stuff like Scummvm & arcade MAME , which works rather well.Your friend will need to 'mod-chip' his XBOX though to use them at all.
Ofcourse the Amiga emu is really rather good as well although it hasnt been updated in a while.
If you want a link to a good xbox emu try bit torrent or PM for a web site link.
Old 05 March 2004, 11:10   #4
Big-Byte
Long time member

I bought an xbox specifically so I could play emulators like Mame etc on my big tv - and I havent been disappointed..

There are two Mame projects on it by Mameox is the best and is up to date with the latest 0.79 build.

However, Mame is a bit memory hungry and with the limited memory that the xbox has means some of the larger (mainly Neogeo) games wont run. However most of the games run fine and its great fun to be able to play four player ninja Turtles / Gauntlet etc.. on it.

For games that Mame cant load you will need the port of Winkawaks (Called KawaksX on the xbox) - It plays all Neogo games and CPS2 games very well.

Of course there are lots of other emulators too ... c64/nes/snes/gba/megadrive - anything you can think of really. After all its really just a PC in a box.

My mate even has the xbox keyboard from Datel so he can play the c64 text adventure games properly..

Emulator Im most impressed with though has to be PCSXbox - a playstation emulator that plays most of my favourite games fine although its not quite full speed on some games
Old 05 March 2004, 14:03   #5
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Is there an ST emu on XBox?
Old 05 March 2004, 14:17   #6
Antiriad
The Sacred Armour Of

Yes, WinSTon has been ported I do believe, although still no port of an Amstrad emu for it. Well you can use the linux port of Arnold..but still, a direct port would be great.
Old 05 March 2004, 14:41   #7
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

M U S T R E S I S T ..... mustnt buy another machine I dont need like my PS2 (sold), A4k (sold) Falcon (selling)....Shuttles (selling)... Must be able to move in computer room....
Old 08 March 2004, 04:42   #8
Adeptus
epun umop ap!sdn

Quote:
Originally posted by turk182
Your friend will need to 'mod-chip' his XBOX though to use them at all.
Hmm... was afraid of that...
Will let him know & see if he wants to mod it.
(How long is the warranty on an xbox? )

Are they just plug-in, or do you need to solder them?
(You're probably not allowed to tell me where to find them, so I won't ask... )
Old 08 March 2004, 04:58   #9
Ash
Zone Friend

They gotta be either soldered or pogo pinned on but they can fall off, I think?
You can softmod the xbox but not all software will run and it ain't worth the effort, cough up the cash
On a side note I got a 200 Gb HDD and have all the emus, software, games I want and loads of space to spare
Did I mention I have loads of S/VCD, MP3, ogg, etc too
Old 08 March 2004, 12:24   #10
Antiriad
The Sacred Armour Of

Whats the best site for the X Box emulation scene? With a forum prefereably...id like to try to convince someone to port Arnold
Old 08 March 2004, 12:32   #11
Ash
Zone Friend

http://www.emuxbox.com/ used to be good but it has not been updated for awhile
http://www.xbox-scene.com has a great forum with lots of subsections, including an emulation one
Hope this helps
Old 08 March 2004, 13:20   #12
Antiriad
The Sacred Armour Of

Thanks for the links Ash.

Its sad to see that the ZX Spectrum, Acorn BBC and Amstrad CPC arent emulated on the X Box

Seems the reasons is because there are only a few coders porting emus to the Xbox at the moment, mainly due to the fact that any software compiled with the M$ XDK is illegal, and all of them are from the US and so don't have any nostalgia for these classic UK machines.
Old 08 March 2004, 13:37   #13
khephren

There is a Speccy emulator called DreamSpec on the xBox.
Old 08 March 2004, 23:30   #14
andyr

I've just completed Paper Mario (N64) on my Xbox and I recently completed the Snes version of Donkey Kong Country. Currently on my Xbox HD is...

ATARI 2600
C64
NES
SNES
MASTER SYSTEM / GG
MEGADRIVE
PLAYSTATION
N64
GAME BOY ADVANCE
AMIGA

If you're into emulation then the Xbox is great machine to have around.

BTW, I would really like to see a CPC emulator on Xbox - This was my personal favourite 8 bit machine.
Old 08 March 2004, 23:39   #15
Dizzy
Pirate

You could also try to visit this site this is the homebrew scene
Old 09 March 2004, 10:18   #16
Big-Byte
Long time member

Ive been waiting ages for a Spectrum Emu for the xbox that can actually be used. DreamSpec is nice to watch but its pretty useless in its current beta (none of the input controls are hooked up so you cant do anything with it!)
Old 09 March 2004, 14:30   #17
Antiriad
The Sacred Armour Of

Well, it would seem that as no-one is porting MESS to the XBox (which is a real shame as it would solve Atari 7800, Acorn BBC, Amstrad CPC and Spectrum in one go) its best for now to either run Linux on the X Box and run emulators for that OS.

Or go crazy and run some of the most ancient Speccy and Amstrad DOS emulators via DosXBox V3! That cant be quick mind, that and you need a keyboard.

Still, as I dont own an X Box its all academic for me but I can tell you I wont be convinced to change that situation till these classic 8 bit computers are emulated!
Old 20 March 2004, 20:47   #18
synchro
Sending You Back In Time

Yep!!!
The Xbox seems to be the complete home entertainment system.....all in one little box.......

Even the Amiga is emulated brilliantly and after you have played the THOUSANDS of games you can store on the xbox ( and i mean thousands ) then you can watch divx....avi....mpeg.....play music and watch dvd's.......After all that you have the xbox games themselves to play and they are awsome.... !!!

Go here to see whats available

http://xport.xbox-scene.com/

Last edited by synchro; 20 March 2004 at 20:53.
Old 20 March 2004, 21:06   #19
Ash
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally posted by Antiriad
Well, it would seem that as no-one is porting MESS to the XBox (which is a real shame as it would solve Atari 7800, Acorn BBC, Amstrad CPC and Spectrum in one go) its best for now to either run Linux on the X Box and run emulators for that OS.

Or go crazy and run some of the most ancient Speccy and Amstrad DOS emulators via DosXBox V3! That cant be quick mind, that and you need a keyboard.

Still, as I dont own an X Box its all academic for me but I can tell you I wont be convinced to change that situation till these classic 8 bit computers are emulated!
Is the source code open?
Perhaps post about it on the xbox-scene forum?
Old 20 March 2004, 23:56   #20
Antiriad
The Sacred Armour Of

I could, i am registered there. I did do a thread about porting Arnold to the X Box at least but got no real response. I doubt it would be different if I posted about MESS. The US developers just dont seem to care.

Seems one guy (who is a British immigrant in the US) started porting MESS then gave up to do something else
So i guess the source code for it is open.

Would be nice if someone else picked up the baton, but it looks unlikely