English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 28 February 2004, 20:05   #21
SilentBob

I keep my Amiga around because in the end, it became sort of like a part of me. While everybody else moved over to PC, courtesy of their rich parents (mostly), I had to stick with my trusty A1200.

I couldn't afford those expensive 486DX-66 PCs, I was just a poor student, who even had to pay rent at home after I turned 18. (Not that I hold a grudge against my parents for that fact ). So until I was able to scrape together the insane amount of money to buy a PC, I sat playing games and doing my schoolwork and other stuff on the A1200.

My friends had a go at me constantly for "using an Amiga and not switching to PC" , but how the feck could I buy one when there was no money in the bank????! They just didn't get it. There was no time for part-time work because school took up all my time.

So I keep it around , as I said, because it stuck with me through hard times, never breaking down once, and because on the PC there aren't any games that come close to many old Amiga classics. (And playing them on UAE just doesn't give me the same feeling)
Old 28 February 2004, 23:04   #22
Djay
95th User

for a cool nostalgia trip... try this...

remember when you got your Amiga, the box had a cardboard wrap around thing.... for example Screen Gems Pack or Cartoon Classics.

now, try and buy one for somewhere (ebay is worth a try), you might end up with another Amiga out of this too....!!!!

put the cardboard wrap in a large frame and mount it on your wall....

You must get the wrap that you actually got first around!!!!

Take a photo, up it here!!!
Old 28 February 2004, 23:30   #23
Enverex
Fantasy Man!

I have 3 different promo packs, but they never had any special wrappers, just the dodgy mad things going on on the box itself.
Old 28 February 2004, 23:53   #24
BippyM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Djay
for a cool nostalgia trip... try this...

remember when you got your Amiga, the box had a cardboard wrap around thing.... for example Screen Gems Pack or Cartoon Classics.

now, try and buy one for somewhere (ebay is worth a try), you might end up with another Amiga out of this too....!!!!

put the cardboard wrap in a large frame and mount it on your wall....

You must get the wrap that you actually got first around!!!!

Take a photo, up it here!!!
Ok
Old 28 February 2004, 23:58   #25
Djay
95th User

here is a piccy (straight from the bay of e)...

Last edited by Djay; 01 July 2011 at 21:34.
Old 29 February 2004, 02:05   #26
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Quote:
Originally posted by Akira
Lucky for me my girl understands my old computer love, and she even uses and likes lots of the systems (mostly consoles, but she digs the SX64, and thinks the Timex 2068 is sweet )

Lucky for you is right! Thats a rare find you have there my friend

Although I wouldnt swap Mrs Dast for nowt :awww
Old 29 February 2004, 04:59   #27
Amiga1992

Guess I am lucky indeed! because I forgot to say she enjoys the blippybloppy chiptune shit I listen to, though only the most fucky modern type, not the "sounds-like-1980s" shit.

I bet that if she was given a computer at age 10 she would be a complete computer freak. Luckily she isn't :P

Right now she's playing Magical Drop on my NeoGeo Pocket Color. That's how hardcore-gamer she is becoming :P Will tak ea GBCamera pic, she looks cute playing NGPC.
Old 29 February 2004, 13:24   #28
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Quote:
Originally posted by Akira
though only the most fucky modern type,
I think I missed this type
Old 29 February 2004, 14:29   #29
RetroMan

Ok, here´s my 2 cent on this (and I will keep it short )

For me emulation is for testing only ! For example installing WHDLoad games with CAPS Images works like a charm in WinUAE But after that, it allways ends up in warping things onto my Amiga´s

Oh btw. ..... I´m married and I have like 50 old Computers and 30 old Consoles, some of them are VERY yellow .... it all works out
Old 29 February 2004, 18:20   #30
JudasEZT

why ppl collect stamps?? thats been happening for looot of years ago, a century at least.. its not surprising then that ppl collects not only computers but also cover-boxes and original titles, even cracks.

personally I find pretty interresting the way everything is made in different systems.. the differences between good titles of every computer. How a type of game works better on each computer.

personally I learn a lot about creativity and I find it positive. Also I learn a lot about entertainment world.. I like to look games which were classified as "simply good" at its moment and actually are considered total classics. (that happen alot in spectrum games) and also the inverse, take a lok to the overhyped games that got extremely high rankings and nowadays you find them poor and quickly boring.

as Manicx saids, retrogaming is a part of history.

Apart of that I still using Amiga DeluxePaintV (even since a year or so I use WinUAE) for work, coz I make pixel graphics for GBA and Mobilephones games.
Old 29 February 2004, 21:28   #31
Djay
95th User

Quote:
Apart of that I still using Amiga DeluxePaintV (even since a year or so I use WinUAE) for work, coz I make pixel graphics for GBA and Mobilephones games.
strangly enough, i was watching cable the other nite, a gamers tv program of some description was on.. in a interview with a programmer there was an amiga set up in the background... they were talking about the PS2 so this wasn't about retro stuff!!!
Old 25 March 2004, 19:30   #32
Mojo

Send a message via ICQ to Mojo Send a message via AIM to Mojo Send a message via Yahoo to Mojo
Okay when i as like 10, dad bought an A500+. the first computer i ever touched. Yippee!! ahh the games were so fantastic, I have a ps2 now, and wow are the games boring most of the time. The only ps2 game i even paly really is tonyhawk of some form .. but anyway, over the years we had the a500 i did deluxpaint stuff too, when i was 11 i think, i figured out how to do animations in dpaint, hold down a shift key for a new frame or something.. so that was the first kindaof visually creative stuff ive done on a computer..

Recently (well 6months ago), someone gave me an A1200, ahhh... In the past i have played with winuae, but learnt quickyl that it just dont quite cut the mustard. I wanted my amiga back for the games, and thats it. if i wanna do graphic design work, video editing, sound mixing, illl use my 1.8ghz pc thanks
So anyway, ive had it for 6months, within the first week of having it i had played and complete monkey island 1 and 2, which made me want to get the old games i once owned onto this a1200 and play them. WHICH is what im still trying to do.. lol .. (the latest attempt is buying an ethernet card btw hehe)..

thats it!!

amigas are awesome i love them

sorry id write more but i badly need a wee
Old 25 March 2004, 21:10   #33
Drake1009

I have a PS2 and actually find a couple of the games still worth playing and quite interesting. But for me, gaming in general has sort of lost it's appeal. This goes over all platforms, PC, PS2, Amiga, C64. I guess I've just played too much and seem to know most everything there.
Old 26 March 2004, 02:14   #34
Mangar
Got the fever back

Hmm.. Why do I emulate?

I was 16 when I received my first computer. It was a commodore 64. I've been asking for one for years and finally my mother was able to afford one for by birthday. I was extremly excited. Playing games like bards tale and pools of radiance were good memories.

I first saw an amiga at the world of commodore held in Toronto, Ontario in 1990-91. Actually, what I really saw was Shadow of the Beast. I knew then I had to get one.

I was 18 and going to school and working part time. Luckily, Amiga's were on sale here at christmas time and the price dropped by 20% so I was able to get one a lot quicker than I imagined. I brought it home and fired up Legend of Faerghail. (Yeah, I'm an RPG nut.)

I used that same Amiga 500 for 3 years. I was jealous of my friend who bought his A1200 at the world of commodore in 1993-4. He paid around $1400 for it. 3 years later I bought it from him for $150 dollars which included the multiscan monitor.

I still have it but its in storage at my sister's. I also have an A2000 that was given to me for nothing by a good friend of mine who felt he outgrew it.

He probably wishes he had it now.

The other day someone gave me a commodore 64. I plan on building a Retro Computer room once I secure my new house.

The reason why I emulate, and solely emulate I may add, the amiga is because, for one, I dont have them with me at the moment and there was never a system that had the community or the style or the personality of the amiga.

Recently, I met a guy at work that used to own a shop in the UK called Brit Computers. He serviced and sold amigas in the UK. Maybe, he'll be able to secure an A4000 for me.

Or maybe a CD-32. Always wanted one of those. That's next on my wishlist.
Old 29 March 2004, 21:20   #35
Nexjen
Abre Los Ojos

Send a message via AIM to Nexjen Send a message via MSN to Nexjen
Firstly what a great thread.

Quote:
Originally posted by Djay
i emulate because i have a woman, now i'm sure that anyone with a woman will agree with me on this... women (in general) don't have a "big thing" about computers, esp. ones that are 15 years old and are turning yellow!
Well I dont know if thats all that true , I just recently bought an Amiga again for me and my girlfriend basicly , and her mum was like "God can you get Black Lamp for that , I used to sit for hours playing that game".

While my girlfriend practilly squirts over the thought of 2 Player Double Dragon. :-O

Maybe im just lucky that I found somebody who loves Amiga and gaming in general.
Old 02 April 2004, 08:28   #36
EternalAmiga

In 1991 I was 9 years old and REALLY wanted a computer I bugged my parents endlessly but they didn't have much money. In the end they bought me an AMSTRAD CPC464 with the green screen. I loved that computer and played Football Manager for many hours. It turned out a kid at school had one and new how to program on it so he showed me and I began writing programs which kept track of the backyard cricket scores between me and my brother.

One day I went to my best friends house and he had an Amiga 500, I can remember him playing Chuck Rock and I thought it was the coolest game ever, a fat bastard hitting people with his stomach! And it had an INTRO! I had to have one, so I begged for the next year and in 1992 my parents finally bought me an Amiga 2000.

Over the next two years I upgraded to an A500 and finally after saving and begging I bought an A1200 with a CD ROM and HD, I still remember going to buy it from some guy out of the paper. He told me he was selling it to buy a PC so he could play Settlers 2 and that Amiga was dead and PC was so much better (OH THE PAIN!).

Over the next 5 years everyone else upgraded to PC, but I stuck with my A1200 eventually buying a multiscan monitor. It got me through high school, I used it for the Internet, WordProcessing and games every night.

In January 2000 I was scheduled to start university the next month to do a Computer Science degree and I knew I needed a PC to program on, so to help pay for it I had to sell the Amiga. It so hard to see something I had loved for the last 5 years leave, with my boxes and boxes of CD's, disks and magazines.

Now I have a good job and earn good money, I have been emulating the Amiga for a couple of years but I want to get back my beloved A1200 and also a CD32 which I have wanted for years but never been able to get.

So if anyone has an A1200, A4000 or CD32 for sale let me know!