English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 24 January 2019, 14:42   #1
svabos

Building a joystick fo winuae (PC)

I would like to build joystick for PC based on arcade components that will resemble Quickshot competition pro
I've decided on this step as every PC arcade joystick is 8-axis which causes me problems while playing as amiga joystick are 4-axis
So I was planing to buy cheap ebay arcade joystick set with joystick that has 4-axis restrictor plate, like this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Arcade-DIY-...MEZ:rk:32:pf:0

Any experience with this kind of project? Is there something I should be aware of?
Old 24 January 2019, 14:55   #2
d3cka2d3pwood

What about this...

https://monsterjoysticks.com/deluxe-...kit-cherry-red

Or why don't you use a usb to amiga port converter and just use your amiga joystick in your PC.
Old 25 January 2019, 00:19   #3
Mikerochip

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3cka2d3pwood View Post
Those things cost a fortune for what they are!

If I'm paying €70 odd for a controller, it shouldn't look like I made it myself from stuff I had lying around.

I made an Arduino XInput box and connected a Neo Geo controller to it.
Since it's XInput, it gets picked up like an xbox controller, and most modern windows games work fine with it.
Old 25 January 2019, 10:09   #4
svabos

Quote:

It costs a fortune... I want the cheapest but functional option and would like to build it myself
Quote:
Or why don't you use a usb to amiga port converter and just use your amiga joystick in your PC.
cause I don't have amiga joystick and cause amiga joysticks lack the quality today components have

So, back on the topic: anyone done that kind of DIY project?
Old 25 January 2019, 10:14   #5
d3cka2d3pwood

I doubt you could make one for much cheaper. All the parts are Sanwa which aren't cheap.

I get what you are saying about the case design but to be honest it’s a brilliant solution. These joysticks aren’t made in there 1000’s like they used to be so injection moulding a case design is just not viable. Hmmm I wonder if the QuickShot moulds are about somewhere….

The good thing about the monster joysticks is that you can map the jump/up to the second button with the flick of a switch.

Like I said your best bet is a usb converter. Cheap and can use your original QuickShot
Old 25 January 2019, 10:32   #6
Daedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by svabos View Post
It costs a fortune... I want the cheapest but functional option and would like to build it myself
Sort of contradicts this:
Quote:
cause I don't have amiga joystick and cause amiga joysticks lack the quality today components have
Quality components, now and back in the day, cost money. If you want arcade quality parts, you'll pay a premium for them. As a result, sticks back in the day, just like now, vary wildly with price. A Zipstick or Competition Pro with new microswitches is a lovely stick to use, and doesn't cost all that much these days, even with a USB adaptor.

Quote:
So, back on the topic: anyone done that kind of DIY project?
Not with an arcade stick, but I have built a USB controller based around a BU0836 board, which offers lots of button inputs as well as both analogue and digital (4-switch) sticks. There are plenty of similar solutions though, like the board in the arcade kit you linked to. I would suggest getting one of these boards, then shopping around for the stick and buttons so you can find the right quality/price balance for you.

I've also modded a cheap wireless XBox-style controller to accept a standard 9-pin joystick connection, wiring the inputs to the D-pad and main button. This effectively gives me a wireless USB controller of my choice, and even works with a second input wired to other buttons for two sticks in WinUAE with some remapping of inputs.