English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 29 February 2016, 16:45   #181
Samurai_Crow
Total Chaos forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa View Post
@Samurai_Crow
are you sure? in this case its not ready for release, as it doesnt solve the licensing issues. a native aros driver would.
The licensing issues were solved by using the open-source UAE-Gfx driver as a framework and releasing the source code under an MIT license along with a verifiable log assuring that this was developed independently of the methods used in the earlier attempt that required a commercial license. It was developed by famed open-source developer Jason McMullan who took the original Kickstart Replacement Bounty #1. He is also is a skilled Linux developer and knows how to navigate the legal waters regarding open-source development. I think the only drawbacks to this approach would be trying to bundle with the closed-source Kickstart image because it would require an independent download of the Picasso96 user package from the Aminet, and the people that worked on or saw the original P96 driver could not participate in the development of the open-source driver.
Old 29 February 2016, 23:30   #182
eXeler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa View Post
here you go:
http://apollo-core.com/knowledge.php...e=499&z=SZnEUD
the new rtg driver is obviously aros based and runs on amiga kickstart. thats what needs to be done instead of stupid arguing. hope some of you will now understand and consider what is this "aros fanboyism runining your threads" about.. sigh..
Well then, maybe not so obvious as you thought then, unfortunately rendering your argument invalid (referring to Samurai Crow's post). However, may I take this example of wrong assumptions to suggest that maybe that's what a lot of us have been doing here.

Maybe it wasn't a very well thought idea to have a poll between two things without maybe explaining the differences and weak points of each a bit better as a starting point.
For example, the hardcore people already have decided for themselves.. Then you have the forum dwellers who are really "into it", who seem to take for granted that just because "someone at IRC" said something, it is suddenly common knowledge, or something along those lines. And anyone who doesn't know this thing is an idiot, etc..
I'm more inclined to believe that a lot of Amiga OS users, me included, are actually not exactly sure what consequences an AROS kick ROM would have today, in six months and long term. I for one, seem to mostly remember the bad stuff, like my favorite Gfx apps not running (Dpaint, Brilliance etc.. or my fav footie game Kick Off2 not working, stuff like that). So I decide not to vote pro-Aros because I want my old stuff to keep working, but the truth is, I'm not keeping myself updated. Maybe this stuff runs now, but that's not the kind of arguments I've been hearing.
The reality is, the Vampire was and currently still is an Amiga OS product. So the Aros idea is second to the party, and as such maybe it just needs to try a bit harder to pitch the idea in a constructive way by explaining to the majority, what it actually means, instead of seeking -tbh uninteresting- opinions about who get licensing fees or who should force who to get something unwanted... or whatever.

Anyhoo, no matter what one says or does, there will be someone who will think different (and filling up their flame thrower as we speak, yea you in the back, I see you :-), but... I'll just say one more and be done with pitching any more thoughts and occasional quibble in this thread ;-)

--> Aros fans, IMHO, in order to "educate" the unknowing/unwilling etc.. you should put on the "Sales-guy" hat and pitch this thing to us a bit better. Sell it to us Maybe some kind of list of cons and pros and maybe a bucket of clever ideas for the future that will convince us how much more options this will give us... stuff like that, I think would be a constructive way to communicate with the AmigaOS crowd and just maybe tip the scale in your favor..

Cheers ppl. Remember, this is our hobby, it's supposed to be fun ;-)
Old 01 March 2016, 00:06   #183
Overflow

Dont see the point of selling anything.

Apollo-Team has raised issues regarding the future features based on AOS3x functionality.
You listened to the BigGun podcast, and he explained it better than any "AROS" guy can hope to do.

Again; BigGun said that people are free to choose AOS or AROS, so its no real issue.
You might find that in the future that some functionality wont be available for AOS users , again as laid out by BigGun.

(And btw, Im using AOS atm).
Old 01 March 2016, 00:53   #184
wawa

@exeler
you might have noticed that i admitted mistake in my assumptions as soon as poeple who have insight tought me better. im not trying to sell you on aros and anything. it isnt currently fully functional replacement for the genuine kickstart/os, it still needs to be worked towards it.
Old 03 March 2016, 00:26   #185
kneehighspy

Hey Kipper,

you still accepting orders for the A508IDE 8mb and the Amiga 1000 adapters?

wonder what the status is on the one I ordered and paid for back on December 21, 2015.

I have emailed ya over seven times about my order and havent got an email back or my order.

just curious since vampire II orders seem to be getting filled.

Thanks,

Mike Danick
Old 03 March 2016, 10:27   #186
Overflow

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneehighspy View Post
Hey Kipper,

wonder what the status is on the one I ordered and paid for back on December 21, 2015.

I have emailed ya over seven times about my order and havent got an email back or my order.

Thanks,

Mike Danick
I should probarly be careful about answering on behalf of Kipper, but my impression is that he reply to your mails when he gets to your order (in sequence).
That said, Desember 21 2015 is kinda long time ago...

I would suggest your join the IRC channel;

irc.freenode.org
port: 6667
Channel to join: apollo-team

He freqents that channel more or less every day, usually late euro time from what ive seen, which is after working hours in USA basically...
Old 03 March 2016, 10:32   #187
OlafSch

one comment regarding using both Aros and 3.1

that is possible the same way as on real amigas, when it starts aros kickstarts are installed in fast ram if not yet available. Of course booting is faster when aros kickstarts are preinstalled but it will be absolutely possible to use both
Old 03 March 2016, 17:06   #188
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneehighspy View Post
Hey Kipper,

Thanks,

Mike Danick
all the cplds (100) i received in Jan are flaky and i am fighting to get my money back so i havent shipped any for a while, and am trying to source a different supplier, as a result these boards are on hold... webpage has been updated