English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 18 February 2005, 20:34   #1
AMIGAZ
Amiga-Mad

Send a message via ICQ to AMIGAZ
Hooooo A3000 not booting, advice needed

Have an A3000 which has 2mb chip, 4meg fast ram ,3.1rom which i've installed a Cyberstorm MKII '060 card in but now the computer won't boot.
I just get a black screen without any disk activity at all only my power light is on.
The CS card is installed correctly and level, it is fitted with two 32mb simms (60ns).
Can it be a faulty simm? or am I fried? (my CS is dead)
Haven't changed anything on the motherboard (jumpers) since the manual said I didn't have to change anything if I haven't had another accel. before the CS.
Help & advice is highly appreciated since I really want to get my A3000 going since it's not been used for a long time since it's been my most low spec amiga, want to use this baby as my main amiga computer.
Old 18 February 2005, 21:02   #2
TheAmigaMan
Amiga 3000 owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGAZ
Have an A3000 which has 2mb chip, 4meg fast ram ,3.1rom which i've installed a Cyberstorm MKII '060 card in but now the computer won't boot.
I just get a black screen without any disk activity at all only my power light is on.
The CS card is installed correctly and level, it is fitted with two 32mb simms (60ns).
Can it be a faulty simm? or am I fried? (my CS is dead)
Haven't changed anything on the motherboard (jumpers) since the manual said I didn't have to change anything if I haven't had another accel. before the CS.
Help & advice is highly appreciated since I really want to get my A3000 going since it's not been used for a long time since it's been my most low spec amiga, want to use this baby as my main amiga computer.
First make sure that the battery has not leaked onto the motherboard. If you have not already done so, remove the battery and do not install another one. You may have to upgrade some of the main chips. What revision is your Amiga 3000 motherboard?
Old 18 February 2005, 21:43   #3
AMIGAZ
Amiga-Mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAmigaMan
First make sure that the battery has not leaked onto the motherboard. If you have not already done so, remove the battery and do not install another one. You may have to upgrade some of the main chips. What revision is your Amiga 3000 motherboard?
It's rev 9.0
The battery looks brand new and has not leaked, it's mr Michael Rubisch himself who was the previous owner...for the people who doesn't know who he is..he is the guy responsible for most of the pictures taken on Amiga hardware on http://amiga.resource.cx
Old 18 February 2005, 22:12   #4
TheAmigaMan
Amiga 3000 owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGAZ
It's rev 9.0
The battery looks brand new and has not leaked, it's mr Michael Rubisch himself who was the previous owner...for the people who doesn't know who he is..he is the guy responsible for most of the pictures taken on Amiga hardware on http://amiga.resource.cx
I would still remove the battery. The Amiga 3000 does not need a battery. Both of my Amiga 3000s work just fine without one.

Yea, I do love that guys site. I am going to pay him to put his entire website on a CD-R for me. Then I will always have it for reference.
Old 19 February 2005, 12:48   #5
tin

If the battery IS brand new (possible?) then I would leave it on, no?
Old 19 February 2005, 14:11   #6
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by tin
If the battery IS brand new (possible?) then I would leave it on, no?
I would replace ANY barrel-shaped NiCad batery for a Lithium clip type, anytime. Modification in the midle, of course.
Old 19 February 2005, 17:58   #7
Jope
-

Remove the CS and try to boot the machine from the onboard 030.

Then try and reinstall the CS if it works like that. Be sure to set the clock jumpers on the motherboard correctly. :-)
Old 19 February 2005, 18:22   #8
AMIGAZ
Amiga-Mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope
Remove the CS and try to boot the machine from the onboard 030.

Then try and reinstall the CS if it works like that. Be sure to set the clock jumpers on the motherboard correctly. :-)
Hi,

Have to card working now but when I have the card in my machine I can't boot from my HDD.
It boots from the HDD without the card so I'm wondering if the INT2 fix is needed...I've rad it should only be necessary to perform it if you want to use the cybersci module which is an extra part for my CS MKII
Old 19 February 2005, 18:34   #9
RetroMan

Are you sure you installed all necessary libraries BEFORE you put in the card (060.lib, 040.lib, 040dummy.lib etc.) ???
Old 19 February 2005, 18:38   #10
AMIGAZ
Amiga-Mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroMan
Are you sure you installed all necessary libraries BEFORE you put in the card (060.lib, 040.lib, 040dummy.lib etc.) ???
Yep

I can partion, put filesystems on the HDD with HDINSTTOLLS & HDTOOLBOX if I boot from my WB3.1 disk but the disk can't been seen in WB after a reboot.
I have partioned, formatted and installed WB3.1 without the card and then rebooted and installed the install disk for the card and installed the card and made a reboot.
The HDD spins up but I just get to the plain kick 3.1 insert disk screen.