English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 23 August 2012, 10:02   #41
JudasEZT

I always hoped a Shadow Of The Beast on modern 3d consoles.

When PS2 were launched ( I love that console, btw ) I strongly hope for a amazing and dark Shadow Of THe Beast.

Never got materialized. =(

Fortunately PS2 had ICO and Maximo =)))) and later in a minor way GodOfWar and ShadowOfTheColossus.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 23 August 2012, 10:57   #42
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Sad news, although since Destruction Derby 1 Psygnosis has not really done anything that I have played. I completely missed out on Wipeout I have to shamefully admit. I too can't imagine why Sony dropped that name - never mind the backlog of games they're associated with, the name and logo are just damned cool.

BTW:

http://www.mobygames.com/browse/game...nosis-limited/

Anyone know why Dungeon Master is in the game list? I can't seem to find any link to Psygnosis.
Old 23 August 2012, 11:03   #43
viddi

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Anyone know why Dungeon Master is in the game list? I can't seem to find any link to Psygnosis.
Didnīt they re-release Dungeon Master in the UK?
Old 23 August 2012, 11:47   #44
lilalurl
T32

Send a message via ICQ to lilalurl
Quote:
Originally Posted by viddi View Post
Didnīt they re-release Dungeon Master in the UK?
Correct. France and Germany too:
http://www.mobygames.com/game/dungeo...r/release-info

On MG, I'd suggest to go to the company profile and then choose developed by/published by to get a more "accurate" listing.
http://www.mobygames.com/company/psygnosis-limited
http://www.mobygames.com/browse/game...by/list-games/
http://www.mobygames.com/browse/game...by/list-games/

I prefer "list games", but you may prefer "browse games"
Old 23 August 2012, 13:38   #45
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL Send a message via Skype™ to FOL
I though this was already out. I knew about this months ago.
Old 23 August 2012, 15:46   #46
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
I never understood the thinking behind stopping using the name 'Psygnosis'. Like it or not, when people thought of that name, they knew that they'd get a game that had a bit of effort put into it, sure, some games were too damned hard, but, rarely did people feel shortchanged in what they bought.

I have far more of an affinity for the work of Psygnosis that i'll EVER have for Sony.
Amiga owners may well think that way and have rose-tinted glasses when reflecting back on Psygnosis, but their target market today (ie. Gen Y kiddies that play the same old first person shooters, racing games or stale sports games) wouldn't know any of the history of the brand. It's scary that kids today will never know the 8 and 16 bit computer era!
Old 23 August 2012, 15:51   #47
Phantom
Adventurer

^

Exactly. And bear in mind that today-kids want everything 'served-in-a-plate', they just can't fiddle with various settings and controls. They just want to insert that optical media and start playing straight away. Not very amusing in my opinion. They won't bother to sit down and learn computer history unfortunately, making them really noobs, whatever age they will reach.
Old 23 August 2012, 16:03   #48
Steve
Kickstarter Addict!

I wonder why they sold out to Sony in the first place. Why not just stay independent? It's like when Bizarre Creations sold out to Activision and then they were closed down a couple of years later in 2010. I find it very odd.
Old 23 August 2012, 16:11   #49
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post

As usual, check HOL first

http://hol.abime.net/445
Old 23 August 2012, 18:25   #50
funK

Well, shame on Sony for shutting them down, I'm sure a piece of every gamer's heart broke on hearing this sad, sad news...
Only good thing I can see in this is that at least Sony let them be (almost) what they were back in the days, so that Psygnosis name still shines today, while just look at what Microsoft did to Rare, forcing them to put out kinect shovelware only and making them lose all their reputation... not that that's any consolation but still, it's better to burn out than fade way, as Neil Young once sung.
And Edge has just posted a retrospective on Psygnosis, most of which is from the Amiga days:
http://www.edge-online.com/features/...rs-great-games
Stupidly enough, not only did they make a mistake on the SOTB release year (1991 ha!), but they also left Lemmings out from that list! Gaming journalism at its finest!

Last edited by funK; 23 August 2012 at 18:33.
Old 23 August 2012, 20:35   #51
FromWithin
Music lord

Send a message via ICQ to FromWithin Send a message via AIM to FromWithin Send a message via MSN to FromWithin Send a message via Yahoo to FromWithin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
I wonder why they sold out to Sony in the first place. Why not just stay independent? It's like when Bizarre Creations sold out to Activision and then they were closed down a couple of years later in 2010. I find it very odd.
Mostly because of the rather sizeable number of millions that were offered. But there's always a limit to what any company can achieve based on its financial state. Psygnosis was in a good financial position for its size, but could never have stepped up to the next level without the type of massive external investment that Sony provided. And who wouldn't want to work on hardware of which no-one had seen the like before?

At the time, no-one could understand why Sony had bought us; nobody asked questions about why the company had been sold. The general feeling at the time was "Psygnosis? But they're shit!", but the fact was that we were probably the most techy and graphics-orientated game company of the time and one of the few who had experience actually making use of the full storage capacity of CD-ROMs, thanks mostly to the games we'd been making for Fujitsu on the FM Towns. It was actually a very good move that Sony made because we were perfect developers for a new piece of graphics-orientated hardware with a CD-ROM drive. We nearly cocked it up of course, but everything worked out in the end.
Old 23 August 2012, 21:18   #52
Ian
HIGH FIVE!!

Sorry, I do not see this as sad.

Psygnosis died years ago, Sony have been funding a pup for years. It was one of Sonys biggest dev house in terms of staff and the best they could come up with is another Wipeout game which was NEVER a AAA game even in it's hayday?

There's some nice technology behind Wipeout/Wipeout Fury but other than some fancy graphics the game is basically the same as it was 15 years ago.

The studio had become stale so Sony did the decent thing and put it out of it's misery. The software guys will be kept on board and the "creative people" will be snapped up by Konami to restart their Wipeout rip off genre, Fatal Inertia
Old 23 August 2012, 23:30   #53
Lonewolf10
AMOS Extensions Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
If it was, they would have mentioned it :P
Also the amount of videogame machines out there from the time of the playstation 1 on is surely much bigger than anything that was available at the time of Lemmings.
Last Lemmings game I played was Lemmings 3D - available on the Playstation 1 and Sega Saturn. I had the Saturn version, which was unplayable due to the awful camera controls and the fact you couldn't move the camera when the game was paused!

Wip3out and Wip3out 2097 were both great games (as was Destruction Derby), but the Saturn versions were ported by some Australian studio which did an average job. I still loved all 3 games though, especially the music in the Wip3out games which was exclusive to the Saturn version (the soundtrack was all original trance/dance music by Psygnosis' in-house band)
Old 23 August 2012, 23:36   #54
s2325
Zone Friend

I had Lemmings 3D for PC (DOS).
Old 24 August 2012, 00:02   #55
Lonewolf10
AMOS Extensions Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2325 View Post
I had Lemmings 3D for PC (DOS).
Was it just as awkward as the Saturn version, or did the PC version have better camera controls?
Old 24 August 2012, 01:38   #56
s2325
Zone Friend

I can not saw my lemmings, they were obscured by everything. When I was very close to them I saw lemmings but nothing more. When I found not-so-bad camera position lemmings walked away.
Old 26 August 2012, 10:14   #57
gilgamesh
Linux snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
Exactly. And bear in mind that today-kids want everything 'served-in-a-plate', they just can't fiddle with various settings and controls. They just want to insert that optical media and start playing straight away.
Replace optical media with floppy and you have 16bit-kids. The fiddling was required from PC owners alone.
Old 10 September 2012, 17:03   #58
s2325
Zone Friend

http://gadzetomania.pl/2012/09/08/sz...lkulatorem/top
Old 17 September 2012, 16:52   #59
funK

Would be awesome if true, paging FromWithin for the official confirmation.
Old 18 September 2012, 17:50   #60
FromWithin
Music lord

Send a message via ICQ to FromWithin Send a message via AIM to FromWithin Send a message via MSN to FromWithin Send a message via Yahoo to FromWithin
Quote:
Originally Posted by funK View Post
Would be awesome if true, paging FromWithin for the official confirmation.
It doesn't mean anything other than that the wipeout servers will stay on and the community still exists. The developers have all been made redundant.

Last edited by FromWithin; 18 September 2012 at 17:56.
AdSense AdSense