English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 14 June 2014, 19:20   #21
Wiffleplop
Cute but not bright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
I've never had any problems with the original power supplies. Of course I'd probably be very disappointed if I actually opened one and saw how cheaply they were made.
Judging by the weight of mine, I'd say it's made from hair-clips and compressed cardboard... it's deceptively light compared to its size.
Old 14 June 2014, 20:00   #22
Nobby_UK

Quote:
I've never had any problems with the original power supplies.
+1
Old 14 June 2014, 20:19   #23
ancalimon
Supernormal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiffleplop View Post
If you mean this one here, that's for a 1200T, unless I'm not seeing straight today (wouldn't be surprised if I'm honest ).
Hmm it seems like they no longer have the one which I bought.
Old 14 June 2014, 21:10   #24
Wiffleplop
Cute but not bright

That's good. In a way, as I didn't think I was unobservant, or rubbish at searching.

Last edited by Wiffleplop; 15 June 2014 at 23:01.
Old 15 June 2014, 23:01   #25
Wiffleplop
Cute but not bright

The seller has offered a replacement unit, so I'll settle for that and wait for it to arrive. I've been boning up on fixing FDDs, so will also try to repair it once I've got a working drive to play with My poor postman is going to be very busy this week
Old 15 June 2014, 23:24   #26
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
mould? Wow! The joys of vintage computing! lol I'll have a look once the new drive arrives - the disks are somewhat scabby looking. What do you recommend to clean the disks and head? IPA?
The floppy drive heads should be cleaned with IPA applied with cotton buds directly to the heads when it is possible to open up the drive enclosure sufficiently to do so. If not, then you can try a floppy drive cleaning disk with IPA applied to the cleaning surfaces.

Mould contamination is best removed with a 50:50 mix of IPA and distilled water applied directly to the disk surface with cotton buds or a lint-free cloth with a gentle rubbing action.

You can either prise the disk enclosure apart sufficiently to remove the disk for cleaning, or you can jam the shutter open and clean the disk through the aperture a little at a time.

The mould can be seen on the disk surface quite clearly as black spots when the disk is illuminated from behind by a bare light bulb.
Old 15 June 2014, 23:44   #27
Wiffleplop
Cute but not bright

Thanks for that chap. I'm still floundering round trying to relearn skills long lost, as well as catch up with everything that happened since I left the scene. I've been scouting about looking for an online source for a bit of a primer in using the Amiga, but I'm struggling to find anything useful, despite my best efforts. Am I best off buying a commercial title, or can someone recommends me a link?
Old 18 June 2014, 14:15   #28
Wiffleplop
Cute but not bright

My Amigakit CF/HDD arrived, as did my Workbench 3.1 disks, but on install the Fonts disk turned out to have an error. I cancelled the read, and continued with the install, but I get a weird error now that the system can't find RogueDrive0 and the screen fonts and colours are a bit flamboyant and nasty. The screen font especially is a horrible script with curly legs that is hard to read, but I can't seem to change it in Prefs without it crashing. Probably something to do with the Fonts failure. Here was me thinking I was going to get up and running today, now that I have working mouse
Old 19 June 2014, 10:08   #29
Hewitson

Download and zip the fonts ADF, copy it onto a 720k floppy, use CrossDOS ("mount pc0:") to copy it to RAM: and then write it back to disk with adf2disk (available on aminet).
Old 19 June 2014, 11:48   #30
Wiffleplop
Cute but not bright

Thanks for the assist I don't have access to the 'net on my A1200, so I'd probably need a CF card in a PCMCIA adapter (I have one, which i've not managed to get working yet due to the unfinished install) in order to get it into the RAM disk. I'll dig out adf2disk too, as it's bound to come in handy on more than one occasion

I'm reading up on the A1200 at the moment using the Insider's Guide I downloaded from an online "book archive", going back to basics, so hopefully my questions will start to sound a little more intelligent as time goes by, although somehow I doubt it will be be noticable
Old 19 June 2014, 13:58   #31
Hewitson

You don't need access to the net, running the command "mount pc0:" will enable your Amiga to read & write PC formatted disks
Old 19 June 2014, 19:22   #32
Wiffleplop
Cute but not bright

We are talking about a real-live in-the-flesh Amiga, not an Emulator? Not heard of that, but tried to format a Sony MFD-2DD disk and Window7 using my USB floppy and it told me to get lost. What it really said was that Windows cannot format that type of disk

My stoopid PCMCIA card doesn't seem to be working in Workbench either. An install disk came with it, and I've used that, but I'm getting nothing turning up on the Workbench. Humpf!
Old 19 June 2014, 19:36   #33
ancalimon
Supernormal

Do you have access to Windows XP Mode? Maybe it can be formatted there.

Anyway. Try formatting the double density disk on your Amiga after mounting PC0: . If it's a high density disk, don't forget to cover the little "high density hole" on the disk.

PC0 should be inside Storage/Dosdrivers/ directory. If you copy it to RAM: and than from RAM: copy it to DEVS: Dosdrivers/ directory, it will be available on every boot.

There is also a updated Crossdos you can find and download somewhere which should fix some problems with filenames.

Last edited by ancalimon; 19 June 2014 at 22:03.
Old 19 June 2014, 21:24   #34
Nobby_UK

Would Win 7 support the DOS command ?

"FORMAT A: /T:80 /N:9"
Old 19 June 2014, 22:25   #35
Wiffleplop
Cute but not bright

Shall try that when I get back to my USB FDD and laptop, thanks for the suggestions.

All my machines are Windows 7 these days... My mum's got an XP machine, as has a friend. Will have a mooch about to try & find an old skool version of Windows if the Dos commands don't work.
Old 19 June 2014, 22:34   #36
ancalimon
Supernormal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobby_UK View Post
Would Win 7 support the DOS command ?

"FORMAT A: /T:80 /N:9"
When I had a floppy drive in my old computer, I remember that I could not format a double density disk with Windows7. I did it on the Amiga and the Windows7 machine could read it.
Old 19 June 2014, 22:44   #37
Wiffleplop
Cute but not bright

Right... so it's Mount pc0: then format it, then transfer it to W7 and see if it'll read it, and then write the file. Cool. Will try that.

Who said retro computing would be easy?
Old 19 June 2014, 23:23   #38
ancalimon
Supernormal

Quote:
Right... so it's Mount pc0: then format it, then transfer it to W7 and see if it'll read it, and then write the file. Cool. Will try that.

Who said retro computing would be easy?
you may need to rename the file to what it is originally after you copy it back to Amiga and set its attributes (to "rwed") from the icons information window.

Or you can first download and copy a "zip" command to your amiga and zip the files you want to transfer first on your pc and then decompress them on your amiga.
Old 20 June 2014, 09:21   #39
Hewitson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancalimon View Post
PC0 should be inside Storage/Dosdrivers/ directory. If you copy it to RAM: and than from RAM: copy it to DEVS: Dosdrivers/ directory, it will be available on every boot.
Why would you do that? Use "copy sys:storage/dosdrivers/PC0#? devs:dosdrivers".
Old 20 June 2014, 15:21   #40
ancalimon
Supernormal

Quote:
Why would you do that? Use "copy sys:storage/dosdrivers/PC0#? devs:dosdrivers".
That would work too. It's just how I like to do it I like playing around with icons.