English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.WHDLoad

Old 21 August 2010, 06:04   #1
gibs
Banned

Problem : Amiga 600 + Whdload

Hi,

I know there have been some thread about this topic, but as I didn't found any solution, I decided to open a new one, maybe a bit different because of my hardware.

1st I think I know how whdload works because I already used it with my Minimig, and e-uae and it works without any problem.

Now the hardware :
Amiga 600 / 4GB CF / A603 / SRAM PCMCIA Card/KICKSTART 3.1/2.0

I noticed that most of the games aren't working.
Let's take Shadow of the beast for example which run on a CD32 with 2MB of chipram : it failed with the A600 with 2MB or the SRAM Extention.
(I have tested different versions of whdload (14.5 to 16.9).
I have tested with Kickstart 2.0 and 3.1)

Now, I did another test I burned a CD for the CDTV and some whdload games (my CDTV hardware is 1MB chip and Elbox CDTV/2 ram extention, Kickstart 3.0) same problem! Most of the whdload games aren't runing.

Of course the OS setup, is working like a charm with e-uae...

But I did a test : if on the emulator instead of using some FAST RAM i use some SLOW RAM, it act them same as the real Hardware : Doesn't work.

So, from what I know, Elbox CDTV/2 and PCMCIA SRAM cards aren't considered as FAST RAM. And that's probably the problem.

-I had a discussion with "Fitzsteve" and he told me that the games were working with his A600 and SRAM cards...
-The minimig memory extention is also considered as SLOW RAM but maybe it is tweaked differently (and that's why it's working?)
-Most of the demos works ( they don't need to rekick)
I'm confused, that's the reason why I have created this new topic giving the maximum of details.

If you have any ideas...

Last edited by gibs; 21 August 2010 at 06:13.
Old 21 August 2010, 06:39   #2
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibs View Post
Hi,

I know there have been some thread about this topic, but as I didn't found any solution, I decided to open a new one, maybe a bit different because of my hardware.

1st I think I know how whdload works because I already used it with my Minimig, and e-uae and it works without any problem.

Now the hardware :
Amiga 600 / 4GB CF / A603 / SRAM PCMCIA Card/KICKSTART 3.1/2.0

I noticed that most of the games aren't working.
Let's take Shadow of the beast for example which run on a CD32 with 2MB of chipram : it failed with the A600 with 2MB or the SRAM Extention.
(I have tested different versions of whdload (14.5 to 16.9).
I have tested with Kickstart 2.0 and 3.1)
The CD32 has 2mb chip and normaly starts games from a non WorkBench environment -You made a disc with SOTB or used an existing unoffical CD32 version? are you sure your using the same Slave version? and have removed Preload
Old 21 August 2010, 08:45   #3
Cammy

The A600 seems to be the most problematic Amiga for running WHDLoad games on. We see mixed results on similar hardware with no apparent reason. I have an A600 with A603, Kickstart 3.1/1.3, 2MB PCMCIA SRAM and an internal IDE-CF drive.

I also get different problems running WHDLoad games on my A600. Some games work in one Workbench setup, but not in another (for example, I have my own Workbench setup on one partition and ClassicWB on another). I get more mixed results with my other A600 which has Kickstart 3.1 and 2MB PCMCIA SRAM (no extra ChipRAM though).

One of the most annoying problems is all the games that are designed to work with 2-button controllers don't let me use the second/blue button! I have tried this with a 2-button Sega pad and a Commodore CD32 pad. I have tested them both with floppy disk games, non-WHDLoad installed games, and a CD32 control pad analyzer program and my control pads work perfectly. So therefor the problem must be with WHDLoad, but I'm not sure where. I use 2-button and CD32 pads on my A1200 and CD32 and have no problems with WHDLoad games that support extra buttons.

I know this isn't helpful at all, I guess I just felt that I needed to add to the list of A600 WHDLoad bugs here if this is the new place for it.
Old 21 August 2010, 09:04   #4
gibs
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Boo View Post
The CD32 has 2mb chip and normaly starts games from a non WorkBench environment -You made a disc with SOTB or used an existing unoffical CD32 version? are you sure your using the same Slave version? and have removed Preload
For the CDTV Kickstart 3.0 (1 MB Chip Mem / 2 MB Other) , I have done my BootCD (as AGS won't run on ECS systems) with slaves from whdownload.com...
I can boot on the CD, but the games won't run...I am more lucky with the whd demos (maybe because they don't rekick?)

Pacmania / Hybris for example were not runing on the CDTV. (they are 1 floppy disk games)

Pacmania, is one (or maybe the only one that run on the A600 config)

Again, if I boot my CF A600 with the emulator (with FAST RAM(not slow)) they are running !
Also I prepare the CD on the computer... so before burning I test with the same config as the CDTV :P and of course it's working with (2MB of FAST memory, again FAST, not SLOW)

Last edited by gibs; 21 August 2010 at 09:25.
Old 21 August 2010, 10:10   #5
spock-79

Take a look at your settings for MaxTransfer and Mask, please try for Mask: 0x7ffffffe and for MaxTransfer: 0x1fe00
Old 21 August 2010, 10:58   #6
Wepl

Sorry, but I have no idea what to answer on reports like 'is not working'.
WHDLoad should work on all properly hw/sw. Some installs may not work without enough memory to allow all data to be preloaded. This is because many installs are not tested with NOFILECACHE.
Old 21 August 2010, 11:12   #7
gibs
Banned

@spock-79 I set MaxTransfer: 0x1fe00
But the same : doesn't work better

@Wepl

Whdload 14.5
Hybris (Stuck Black Screen)
Shadow Of The Beast (Stuck Black Screen)
Shadow Of The Beast 2 (Stuck Black Screen)

I put back the CF on the computer (emulator) : Games are working.

I put back the CF on the Miggy 600 (now with whdload 16.9)

Hybris (Black Screen with white stuff (guess it's the memory)
SOB (Black screen with white stuff)
SOB2 (black screen with white stuff)
Old 21 August 2010, 11:36   #8
gibs
Banned

@spock-79 I forgot to do the the partition where was the games :P

I did it...and it's WORKING now :P

Thank you dude. Never thought to do that (even if I did it on the minimig with the ARM CTRL)

What about the CDTV now ? is it possible to run whdload games from the CD ? or do I need to do a RAD ?
Old 21 August 2010, 11:38   #9
Wepl

whdload 14.5 is out of support, sorry this version is 9 years old
try http://whdload.de/whdload/whd170.lha
make sure no cracked/blacklisted keyfile is present!
boot without startup-sequence and start whdload from the initial cli
Old 21 August 2010, 11:46   #10
gibs
Banned

@Wepl, As I said it was the same setup that was working on my minimig, and that were working with the emulator (winuae, euae)

BTW, Thanks for the support. I'm going to register your software.
Any ideas for the CDTV ? With 1MB of CHIP et 2MB of Other Memory, it should works without doing a RAD.. no?
Old 21 August 2010, 17:38   #11
jotd
This cat is no more

Gibs have you tried to setup approximatively the same setup of your CDTV on WinUAE and see it if works?
I just checked, you can add 1.8MB of slow ram on the CDTV. Should be simple to set it up and boot from your CD.
Old 22 August 2010, 02:30   #12
gibs
Banned

@jotd of course ! With slow ram it doesn't work. I think I was clear :-)
There is also a CDTV preset on winuae.

I even tried just now with whdload 1.70: I boot on the workbench then when I click on the icon, the red led of the emu start to blink and reset.