English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 14 May 2017, 14:57   #1
AndreasM

Roadshow "Ping" Update released

Updated Roadshow version 1.13 contains repaired "ping" command

Roadshow version 1.13 was released on May 2nd, 2017. The updated "ping" command to ship in this release was found to contain a serious bug which could cause it to crash.

The demonstration and retail versions of Roadshow 1.13 have been updated and now contain the repaired "ping" command.

The separate Roadshow 1.13 update archive has been reworked to upgrade the old "ping" version which shipped with Roadshow 1.12 to the repaired version. This update archive can also be used to upgrade the "ping" command which shipped with Roadshow 1.13 on May 2nd, 2017 to the repaired version.

http://roadshow.apc.tcp.de
Old 14 May 2017, 19:26   #2
indigolemon
Bit Copying Bard

Excellent news, and quick work too. Thanks!

PS - the url should be http://roadshow.apc-tcp.de/
Old 15 May 2017, 11:02   #3
Olaf Barthel

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigolemon View Post
Excellent news, and quick work too.
Please note that this is both a bit more than a bug fix, and a bit less than what was planned.

How the "ping" command calculates the response times, and how these are displayed, has been changed.

The response times have always been calculated with microsecond accuracy, but how these times used to be displayed could suggest that the accuracy had been much greater. The numbers are now displayed using digits only. The scientific format ("1e+04", etc.) could wind up being less informative.

The average reply time was rounded in a very peculiar manner, which I dropped as the accuracy and the display are good enough now. I went back to the original "ping" source code in order to find out if the rounding operation was present back then. Fun fact: turns out that the original "ping" only printed millisecond values, omitting microseconds altogether.

I planned to update the SDK and the demo/retail archives, with the new "rsh", "Online" and "Offline" commands added to the distribution. This will have to wait a bit until I figure out how to make the update process work better. Releasing an updated SDK with the full source code of the "arp", "ping", "traceroute", "rsh", "Online" and "Offline" commands should be less complicated, though.
Old 15 May 2017, 13:03   #4
indigolemon
Bit Copying Bard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olaf Barthel View Post
I went back to the original "ping" source code in order to find out if the rounding operation was present back then. Fun fact: turns out that the original "ping" only printed millisecond values, omitting microseconds altogether.
Good bit of digging there then - I updated last night and all is well again at my end.