English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 23 February 2013, 23:25   #101
_ThEcRoW
Amiga NetRunner

For me, the worst joystick on amiga was/is the competition pro. My hands hurts in a long
session of gaming, so it was quickly replace with a genesis pad.
Old 12 April 2015, 02:23   #102
JohnnyWalker
aka ThunderPeel2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneeker View Post

I've still got one of these plugged into my c64, one of my favourite joysticks ever.

I never bought one, one came with my Amiga when I bought that (new) and whenever it broke I used to ride my bike to their offices as they where based 3-4 miles away, and get a new one,

Used to break after about 364 days (depending on the weather) and I'd ride up and get another one.
I ixed mine by opening it and jamming Lego bricks in -- still works now!
Old 12 April 2015, 17:18   #103
Vot

How the hell can the standard commodore sticks not be on this list. They make my skin crawl just thinking about themClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428851875.469632.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	43955Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428851893.066435.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	13.5 KB
ID:	43956
Old 12 April 2015, 18:05   #104
AF2013

The worse Joystick? It had be ATARI 2600 Joystick and it was so Hard move left or whatever directions you want to go. So very stiff....

Horrible joystick!

The Best Joystick? ZIPSTICK (with autofire buttons option) Amazing!
Old 12 April 2015, 18:19   #105
zipper

+1 for Atari - and they did break in a day or two - used lots of Lexan and contact cement to fix them.
Old 12 April 2015, 18:51   #106
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

I remember my mate had one of these awful left handed monstrosities. Hated it. I always loved the Competition Pro pad. Was never really into joysticks. Although I did have that lovely Cheetah 125+ on my C64.

Old 12 April 2015, 18:52   #107
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

it's strange that all modern joypads are "left-handed" by that standard.

and guitars.
Old 12 April 2015, 19:48   #108
hitchhikr

What about those (sorry for the size):

Old 12 April 2015, 20:14   #109
clebin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
I remember my mate had one of these awful left handed monstrosities. Hated it. I always loved the Competition Pro pad. Was never really into joysticks. Although I did have that lovely Cheetah 125+ on my C64.

Monstrosity? Best joystick ever and I think the design has aged well too. I am left-handed, mind.

I wasn't a fan of joypads, so it just goes to show how different people are. Never tried the Competition Pro joypad but I always disliked the joystick and unfortunately never grew to like the USB version either.

Chris
Old 13 April 2015, 12:29   #110
edd_jedi

Nobody seems to have mentioned this yet. Good idea, terrible in practice!

Old 13 April 2015, 13:27   #111
Cpt. Hindsight

Quote:

I have to admit that I like the Quickshot Maverick. It has a second fire button and a nice autofire mode, so it's been my first choice for Apidya and R-Type. Unfortunately, the non-microswitch version is not very durable.
Old 21 April 2015, 01:29   #112
Nosferax

My contribution to this thread is the Suncom Slik Stik

The base was just big enough to be uncomfortable to hold in the hand during long playing session combined with a tiny stick that was too short to be effectively hold with your hand.

I must admit it was perfect for Track & Field where you had to rock the stick left and right fast, with his smaller stick it took a less pronounced motion of your hand.
Old 21 April 2015, 22:14   #113
roy bates

crappiest joystick?

any joystick that used leaf springs..end of
they had about a 2 weeks lifespan tops.
Old 22 April 2015, 11:31   #114
jbenam
Italian Amiga Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DH View Post
I love this one! I bought it for my birthday almost 20 years ago My brother broke just two-three weeks later it by playing one of those "left-right-left-right-as-fast-as-you-can" games (Eskimo Games). I was SO sad... but luckily enough I was able to finally buy another one two years ago and the microswitches are just as clicky as I remembered

It's a super-comfy joystick, really love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCheese View Post
The konix speedking was for me the worst joystick ever. Couldn't even work out how to hold the damn thing properly never mind use it. My brother thought it was the best joystick ever.
I've had one recently and while not a complete train-wreck, certainly makes you think "what were they thinking!"
Old 22 April 2015, 12:11   #115
Total Eclipse

I had one of those Cruisers. Hated it. It was uncomfortable to hold, and mine had the "instant autofire" option built in (with no means to switch it off) that made games like Speedball 2 and Sensible Soccer unplayable (they required long presses of the fire button to do certain moves).

I loved my Konix Navigator, but couldn't get on with the Speed King as I found the second your hands got slightly sweaty the joystick would move around in your palm too much.
Old 22 April 2015, 17:02   #116
demether

Personaly I like the speedking and navigator, but because of a few issues (at least for me) I'm not using them :

the speedking is for right handed only (I'm left handed) and a bit too big for my medium sized hands
the navigator only have 1 button (so I have to use another controller for 2 buttons games, and all my handling learning curve on the navigator is ruined)
the buttons on both joysticks are really firm (make my fingers hurt after a few hours).

I also owned the quickjoy "fighter" stick : I never liked it. The quickshot "arcade" stick was decent, but the buttons were too firm for my own taste.
Old 10 May 2022, 15:50   #117
PNVG

Quote:

That was the best joystick for the Amiga.
Old 10 May 2022, 15:53   #118
PNVG

Quote:
Originally Posted by clebin View Post
Monstrosity? Best joystick ever and I think the design has aged well too. I am left-handed, mind.

I wasn't a fan of joypads, so it just goes to show how different people are. Never tried the Competition Pro joypad but I always disliked the joystick and unfortunately never grew to like the USB version either.

Chris
The Maverick one was the best joystick for the Amiga and you don't have to be left handed. Im not. And how do you play in the arcades? left handed. Its natural. In arcades you play with your left hand, with joypads also the same, with joysticks, you use the right hand.
Old 10 May 2022, 16:48   #119
grond

Worst was the Atari 2600 joystick which didn't last more than a few days. Best was Quickshot II (the microswitch version). In between the two is the Competition Pro. It's durable but not very comfortable to use, I never got why they are held in such high esteem.
Old 10 May 2022, 19:19   #120
dirkies
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vot View Post
How the hell can the standard commodore sticks not be on this list. They make my skin crawl just thinking about themAttachment 43955Attachment 43956
Decathlon broke both of these white crap joysticks I had. Switched to competition pro 5000 and these still work after 35 years!