English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 09 June 2019, 01:08   #1
amipal

Arrow It's been a few years, but I'm back - an ongoing thread of my discoveries

Hello! Not sure if people will remember me, but I used to be a regular in the Amiga community until around around ten years ago...

Back in 2008, I bought my first non-Amiga machine - a Mac Mini - to assist with my photography. And unfortunately it was that decision that ultimately led me to pack away my Amiga gear, and sell a few pieces too.

My main machine these days is a 27" iMac, but I am keen to crack the Amiga 1200 back out of retirement to set up in the corner of my study for some classic gaming that my son and I can enjoy together.

The question is, what do I need to do in this day and age to get a working Amiga system? My Amiga-knowledge has waned somewhat in the intervening years, as is evident from browsing various sites.

I've got three systems I want up'n'running, two expanded A1200s and an AmigaOne system:
  • A1200 with Blizzard 1230/IV and an SD card adaptor in the IDE port
  • A1200T with PCI-busboard+Voodoo3 card, and FastATA (I think) IDE controller+hard disk + CDROM drive
  • AmigaOne XE G4 with additional soundcard and PCI graphics card (I can't remember what's in there)
(I also have an A600 that has maybe the whitest-Amiga case I've seen after so long)

With the machines out of use for so long, what do I need to look out for on booting?

If I need additional hardware/software, where are the best places to look for new gear? I've mostly been ordering from AmigaKit so far.

Thanks in advance for any assistance offered. I've already done some tinkering, so will provide some links to some videos I've created off the back of it.
Old 09 June 2019, 15:34   #2
modrobert
old bearded fool

Welcome back.

If the machines have been in storage for a long time, as in "not powered on", then bad caps can be an issue.
Old 09 June 2019, 20:10   #3
amipal

I've been putting together some videos of my return.

[ Show youtube player ]

The long and short of it:

I tested three A1200s, and an A600, using an A500 power supply.

1. A1200 - bought up the insert disk screen that flashed every time the disk drive ticked. Screen subsequently corrupted into artefacts. Possible custom chip issue?

2. A600 - works absolutely fine, and is also the whitest Amiga I've seen, despite it being over 20 years old! I did at least get to see Super Foul Egg boot, so know the machine works.

3. A1200 - this is the one that has my Blizzard 1230/IV in the trapdoor. And it brought up a grey screen. Hmm. I did try booting with the 2 key held down to deactivate the accelerator, with the same result. Will have to try with the card removed.

4. A1200 - this is the yellowist Amiga I've ever seen. A severe case of jaundice! But despite that, it booted fine with no display issues, and also loaded Super Foul Egg.

All of these were plugged into a BenQ monitor via an external scandoubler on the RGB port, which imparts a bit of vertical banding on the image.
Old 09 June 2019, 20:11   #4
amipal

Quote:
Originally Posted by modrobert View Post
Welcome back.
Thank you! I'm very excited by the whole rediscovery of it all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by modrobert View Post
If the machines have been in storage for a long time, as in "not powered on", then bad caps can be an issue.
I thought that might be the case. I have four A1200 motherboards, an A600, two A500s, and a CD32 which will probably all need attention - though I'll start with the 1200s first I think.
Old 10 June 2019, 07:37   #5
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by amipal View Post
Thank you! I'm very excited by the whole rediscovery of it all!

I thought that might be the case. I have four A1200 motherboards, an A600, two A500s, and a CD32 which will probably all need attention - though I'll start with the 1200s first I think.
Hopefully, you didn't sell them !!!
Old 10 June 2019, 20:22   #6
amigakit.com

@amipal

Welcome back and thanks for the orders.

If you need something you cannot find on our site, please let us know, we are always looking to add items.
Old 11 June 2019, 20:14   #7
amipal

Quote:
Originally Posted by turrican3 View Post
Hopefully, you didn't sell them !!!
Luckily I held onto the boxed machines themselves.

But I did a lot of software - boxed games and the floppy disk storage boxes. So many cover disks and other useful disks gone...
Old 11 June 2019, 20:15   #8
amipal

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigakit.com View Post
@amipal

Welcome back and thanks for the orders.

If you need something you cannot find on our site, please let us know, we are always looking to add items.
I will bear that in mind!

Many thanks for your prompt service and good products. Always my first port of call when looking for new gubbinz!
Old 12 June 2019, 17:20   #9
amipal

Storage options

With further thanks to amigakit.com for the various pieces of hardware supplied over the last few weeks:

[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]

I'm doing a few other bits and pieces with the A1200s at present, but my next step will be to install an SD card reader on the IDE port. So I've a few questions:
  1. Do I require a buffered IDE interface?
  2. Will the adaptor work properly with a ~50cm trailing cable? I'm thinking of having it accessible from the expansion port at the back of the case.
  3. SD card speeds - how do they compare versus a dedicated hard disk on the internal port? And are faster SD cards necessary?

Thanks!
Old 12 June 2019, 19:54   #10
amigakit.com

Some nice videos, thanks for sharing! We can send you an A600 port adapter if you still need one.
Old 13 June 2019, 20:47   #11
amipal

Quote:
Some nice videos, thanks for sharing! We can send you an A600 port adapter if you still need one.
Thanks, but I think I'll stick to getting my A1200 just right for now!

Another order is on its way to you...
Old 14 June 2019, 12:54   #12
amigakit.com

Thanks, we popped some adapters in with your latest order.

This month our company reaches it's 15 year anniversary in the Amiga community. We noticed that you first placed an order with us 14 years ago!
Old 15 June 2019, 15:56   #13
amipal

Quote:
Thanks, we popped some adapters in with your latest order.
Wow, thank you. That is great service.

Quote:
This month our company reaches it's 15 year anniversary in the Amiga community. We noticed that you first placed an order with us 14 years ago!
Blimey! Yeah, I'd been quite active with the Amiga back then, but then packed everything up in 2009. Making up for it now!
Old 16 June 2019, 02:06   #14
quantum8

Quote:
Originally Posted by amipal View Post
Luckily I held onto the boxed machines themselves.

But I did a lot of software - boxed games and the floppy disk storage boxes. So many cover disks and other useful disks gone...

Well at least most of that is easily obtained again. Throw the image files on a USB and a gotek and you're good to go again!
Old 24 June 2019, 20:45   #15
amipal

Quote:
Originally Posted by quantum8 View Post
Well at least most of that is easily obtained again. Throw the image files on a USB and a gotek and you're good to go again!
I'm gradually coming around to the idea of fitting a Gotek, mainly due to the fact that many of the floppy disks I've been testing seem to be on their way out...
Old 08 July 2019, 20:23   #16
amipal

Fresh update!

I've made a few more videos documenting my time with my old Amigas.

First up, getting the SD card installed in the desktop A1200: [ Show youtube player ]

Secondly, I tried to get some old floppy-based games running on said 1200: [ Show youtube player ]

And lastly, I hooked up my Power Tower'd A1200 BEAST: [ Show youtube player ]