English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 27 May 2014, 17:03   #21
lolafg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofan View Post
Click and press on play, then return here: https://soundcloud.com/hallman1953/e...ifes-been-good

... You should know that questions and answers can be found at the AmiKit website, forum or facebook. You also know that you can ask about AmiKit Real on it's thread (http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=67562) and I can only answer about my version.

Anyway:

Just reading "Info" you'll find this:
What is the difference between AmiKit and Amiga Forever? Both are emulators, right?

Both AmiKit and Amiga Forever use the same emulation engine called WinUAE. The main difference is that while the Amiga Forever is a commercial product that includes legal ROM and system files and provides you with the default (and very basic) AmigaOS environment, the AmiKit is freeware, however it doesn't include the ROM and system files. On the other hand AmiKit includes more than 300 pre-configured programs that are not part of the default AmigaOS installation - which turn the default OS into the ultimate environment. AmiKit can be considered as kind of an add-on for Amiga Forever but that would be inaccurate. AmiKit installs into its own separated folder and during the installation it copies the ROM and system files from Amiga Forever to AmiKit automatically. Since this point the AmiKit is complete and standalone application. Amiga Forever introduced an integrated support of AmiKit! Now you can download, install and run AmiKit using the Amiga Forever Player (see its application tab). No need to use external and standalone AmiKit installer anymore. Check this link if you encounter any problems.

It's also in the Info:

What do I need to install and run AmiKit?

In short, a source of AmigaOS (Workbench) and Amiga Kickstart file (ROM), which can be easily obtained by purchasing Amiga Forever package. We're sorry about that but AmiKit cannot contain those copyrighted files. For more information please check out the requirements page. AmiKit runs on Windows XP, Vista or 7 machine, Mac OS X and Linux too. To install AmiKit on a real Amiga computer please follow this AmiKit on a Real Amiga guide.

Do you mean that you have never installed AmiKit on your Pc using the AF Cd or previous installation? If so, you better use the commented forums for answers.
For more questions, I've said you'll find them at the AmiKit website, forum or facebook.

And... About my version (AmiKit for Real 1.0 -from 05-): It won't make miracles (I'm trying and trying), but it's VERY trusted, that's why now it isn't called "Beta" anymore. It has an Incredible LOT of options that you never have had on a Real Amiga (that's hard to archieve) and a huge LOT of improvements. It's fast and has a unbeatable look for AGA and also there is a plug-in (updated now) for Mattahan's icons, and also for WinUAE an RTG plug-in that I will update soon.

It's also for free... so ? Just Wait for it.

I already installed amikit in my PC , what i want to know is if it will be possible to boot a PC directly with amikit , no Windows shown at boot.
Old 27 May 2014, 19:08   #22
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolafg View Post
I already installed amikit in my PC , what i want to know is if it will be possible to boot a PC directly with amikit , no Windows shown at boot.

More or less (well, you know a Pc can't boot with an Amiga OS, it needs an emulator). The usb stick can boot into AmiPup if you wish, that is a Linux system that has been adjusted by Kenneth Lester Jr. Using it you can run AmiKit with the emulator. Anyway AmiPUP itself looks like AmiKit if you see the images.

But I don't know anything else (in fact you can read all that I've said from the web).

@Fol I understood you. I can't answer if they could include them. I only know by my version, and some author can tell you can use their programs if you don't sell the final product. To include the roms you should pay, so surely that has to be a big reason for not including them, but these are just my spelulations. I supose it could be done, but you should suggest that in Facebook or in the Support Forum: http://forum.amiga.sk/, and there is a thread here too: http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthre...d=1#post765147

Last edited by Retrofan; 28 May 2014 at 02:15.
Old 27 May 2014, 21:17   #23
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Watch this new video: [ Show youtube player ]
Old 28 May 2014, 01:50   #24
Fingerlickin_B
Amiga Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolafg View Post
My dedicated AmiKit machine is set up to do this.

I set it up aaaaages ago, so can't remember exactly what needs to be adjusted, but you can disable the Windows start-up/shut down splash screens & add AmiKit to start-up items. Googling will help here.

This way, you may only just get a very quick flash of the windows desktop before Amikit loads. If this happens, set the Windows desktop image as an AmiKit picture (or black), remove all desktop shortcuts & set the bottom Windows tool bar to auto-hide.

Ooops, this is an XP machine BTW

PZ.

Last edited by Fingerlickin_B; 28 May 2014 at 02:07.
Old 28 May 2014, 12:41   #25
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
@Fol To include the roms you should pay, so surely that has to be a big reason for not including them
Thats absolutely fine, could do something like what was done on Android.
Thats what I was trying to say.
Old 28 May 2014, 14:20   #26
Tiago

to remove windows screen etc...
i had this on mail old mails, hope it helps:

Step 1 – Getting the rid of Windows XP bootscreen
- Place the HDF files in your D:\ hard drive
- Type in Run MSConfig and open the TAB “BOOT.INI”
- Flag the /NOGUIBOOT
- Close the software.
Do not reboot now, but with that operation you’ll not see the “Windows XP” boot logo.
Step 2 – Remove the Login / Logoff screen
- Type in Run regedit
- Open “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\system”
- Add DWORD value “DisableStatusMessages” and set value to 1
Congratulation! You have removed the Windows Login / Logoff screen!
Don’t reboot and go to next step.
Step 3 – Remove hotkey ALT+TAB
- Type in Run regedit
- Open “HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop”
- Set the value “Coolswitch” to 0
Don’t reboot.
Step 4 – Remove Task Manager
- Type Run regedit
- Open “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System”
- Add DWORD value “DisableTaskMgr” and set value to 1
Old 28 May 2014, 21:05   #27
fondpondforever

Wonder if Catweasel MK4 can be used in conjunction with the latest release of Amikit. Abit of Alchemy might light up some LED's of thought.
Old 29 May 2014, 04:27   #28
NovaCoder

I think the AROS 68K ROM is already mature enough to boot AmiKit, has anyone tried it?

So theoretically they could build it on AROS 68K so you wouldn't need to purchase and install the ROMS separately. You'd still need to purchase the WB components of course. Hopefully one day AROS 68k will be advanced enough to run the whole AmiKit install, that would be pretty cool

I've got nothing against Cloanto but I think it's ridiculous that people are expected to pay money to use such an obsolete operating system (3.1) for hobby gaming in the privacy of your own home. It's equivalent to purchasing a copy of MS-DOS from Microsoft so that you can install it on your retro PC

Last edited by NovaCoder; 29 May 2014 at 04:39.
Old 29 May 2014, 14:41   #29
fondpondforever

Will Amigakit sell the Flash Disk?
Old 29 May 2014, 14:56   #30
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by fondpondforever View Post
Will Amigakit sell the Flash Disk?
No, not at the moment.
Old 29 May 2014, 16:55   #31
fondpondforever

How about in June?
Old 11 June 2014, 01:20   #32
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

It seems the free download links are now available at http://www.amikit.amiga.sk/ at the bottom of the download section

I will post about my version on it's thread soon. I've also seen the donate button doesn't link to donate for my version yet (I'm not worried: I've never received anything yet). Edit: This donate is ok for my version http://real.amiga.sk/donations.htm

Last edited by Retrofan; 11 June 2014 at 09:33.
Old 12 June 2014, 12:20   #33
AmiKit

Quote:
This donate is ok for my version http://real.amiga.sk/donations.htm
Please support Retrofan's efforts! Thank you.

Old 12 June 2014, 16:23   #34
Neil79
Autistic 'n IRN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmiKit View Post
Please support Retrofan's efforts! Thank you.
Yes mr one post wonder
Old 13 June 2014, 08:09   #35
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil79 View Post
Yes mr one post wonder
Wow, 700+ plus r0xx0r elite poster
Old 13 June 2014, 13:45   #36
ptyerman

Just ordered the flash key. Give it a whirl when it arrives.
Old 13 June 2014, 14:40   #37
Neil79
Autistic 'n IRN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorham View Post
Wow, 700+ plus r0xx0r elite poster
Maybe I should make an Indie Retro News account and say the same thing

Please join this website because it's awesome

( It's a good bit of software but seriously )
Old 13 June 2014, 16:26   #38
ptyerman

Simple. If you don't like it or use it, don't read or post in threads that are about it.
Old 13 June 2014, 20:21   #39
Neil79
Autistic 'n IRN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptyerman View Post
Simple. If you don't like it or use it, don't read or post in threads that are about it.
heh?

But I do like and I have used it, so your point is?
Old 15 June 2014, 12:38   #40
drusso66

Amikit on Mac Mini

Does Amikit run on the older G4 Mac Mini or would it need the newer intel based Mac's