Going nowhere

New Atari ST conversion coming to Amiga

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 15 April 2012, 22:02   #2
Whitesnake
Martin Shaw

Smile

Looking good baby

I remember it on the ZX Spectrum back in the day. The black and white look gives it a nice atmosphere and feel.
Old 15 April 2012, 22:03   #3
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

I've got it running through WHDLoad (using that to debug), and WINuae, but need to run it on a real Amiga to see whether or not the realtime screen conversion routine is quick enough.
Old 15 April 2012, 22:09   #4
Whitesnake
Martin Shaw

Will this conversion require a 020? Due to the Atari ST having a slightly faster 68k and also the YM Chip conversion? or can that speed/audio hardware difference be overcome through other means?

Last edited by Whitesnake; 15 April 2012 at 22:27.
Old 16 April 2012, 01:16   #5
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Will this conversion require a 020? Due to the Atari ST having a slightly faster 68k and also the YM Chip conversion? or can that speed/audio hardware difference be overcome through other means?
Technically, this 'should' work fine on 68000 once i've finished. I might need to optimize the ingame ST to Amiga screen conversion routine, but thats only because my routine is doing the entire screen, but as you can see, the ST screen only changes the stuff in the centre and the small bits at the bottom, so processor time can be saved there for a start.

YM conversion i've been told can be quite painless for Amiga, simply redirecting the YM calls to the correct Amiga registers should get it up and running, and doing it on an interrupt, I can't envisage it getting too heavy.

Still got to do the conversion for controls, so once I have the controls done, then i'll worry about sound. Its not much of a tune, but it would be good to have it included, because I don't think i've got enough memory left for an Amiga module, so the ST music will have to suffice.
Old 16 April 2012, 04:13   #6
Adropac2
Zone Friend

Blimey another one, great news this and very much appreciated. Looking forward to playing it. Enjoyed the game back then and so it's very cool to see it on Amiga

Is there realistically any chance Oids could make it onto Amiga one day or is that a trickier job?
Old 16 April 2012, 07:16   #7
1time
Amiga Lover

Thank you Galahad..
Old 16 April 2012, 09:02   #8
jimmy2x2x
Beyond Mutton

Great news!

please forgive my ignorance, but what other games have been converted?
Old 16 April 2012, 09:05   #9
s2325
Zone Friend

Joust, Super Sprint, Gauntlet
Old 16 April 2012, 09:29   #10
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to lilalurl
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2325 View Post
Joust, Super Sprint, Gauntlet
Download links available at the end of this post:
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?p=808731#post808731
Old 16 April 2012, 10:48   #11
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adropac2 View Post
Blimey another one, great news this and very much appreciated. Looking forward to playing it. Enjoyed the game back then and so it's very cool to see it on Amiga

Is there realistically any chance Oids could make it onto Amiga one day or is that a trickier job?
Oids is trickier simply because it was written in Forth I think, which will likely make the code a little obfuscated, and I think its very TOS system reliant.

But it also doesn't do any fancy Timer copper effects either so, its certainly one to look at for the future as it and Sundog are two of the ST games that people most wanted back in the day.
Old 16 April 2012, 11:42   #12
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Nice one can't wait to try it

How come and I'm not having a dig when stuff like Sundog is run through the TOS emulators there full speed on 68000 although no sound.

With all these conversions I still like to see a good TOS emulator compatible on all procesors maybe even under Whdload like we have the kickemu,

Anyways great work

Last edited by Retro1234; 16 April 2012 at 11:52.
Old 16 April 2012, 12:18   #13
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Boo View Post
Nice one can't wait to try it

How come and I'm not having a dig when stuff like Sundog is run through the TOS emulators there full speed on 68000 although no sound.

With all these conversions I still like to see a good TOS emulator compatible on all procesors maybe even under Whdload like we have the kickemu,

Anyways great work
It could be that the game uses TOS for everything, except sound processing which is directly accessed by the hardware.
Old 16 April 2012, 13:14   #14
meynaf
son of 68k

I wish you success, as it would lower the pressure on my shoulders for other games porting. But why did you open a thread before having at least a playable version ? Why did you give a youtube link instead of a link to the whdload stuff you spoke about ?
Old 16 April 2012, 13:34   #15
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by meynaf View Post
I wish you success, as it would lower the pressure on my shoulders for other games porting. But why did you open a thread before having at least a playable version ? Why did you give a youtube link instead of a link to the whdload stuff you spoke about ?
Why do I need to do it the way you say? I feel its better to show that results are present, talk is cheap, actions speak louder than words!

I gave a Youtube link because I have no intention of making the WHDLoad version the only version, in fact i'm only using WHDLoad as a development tool to quicker develop the Amiga version, once I have the controls sorted and the YM emulation sorted, I can then master a proper 512K ADF version so that EVERYONE can play it, not just WHDLoad people.

This is the way I want to do it, respect that and please try not to sound so combative as you currently are, its not helpful.

It clearly states its a WIP (Work in Progress)... why not show that actually happening?
Old 16 April 2012, 13:58   #16
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
It clearly states its a WIP (Work in Progress)... why not show that actually happening?
Some WIP remain WIP all their life, until they just die out because the project got abandoned.

But time will tell. YM emulation is perhaps not as easy as you think, for example.
Old 16 April 2012, 14:32   #17
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by meynaf View Post
Some WIP remain WIP all their life, until they just die out because the project got abandoned.

But time will tell. YM emulation is perhaps not as easy as you think, for example.
But better a live WIP that can be seen rather than someone saying they are doing something with no tangible results

And maybe YM emulation won't be as easy as I think, but thats the fun of doing the work, if it was easy, all these games would have been converted years ago
Old 16 April 2012, 14:36   #18
s2325
Zone Friend

Could you tell me reason of that random blur? Why it wasn't recorded with WinUAE but with some external application?
Old 16 April 2012, 14:36   #19
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2325 View Post
Could you tell me reason of that random blur? Why it wasn't recorded with WinUAE but with some external application?
It was recorded with WinUAE

The actual game doesn't have that blur or any screen tearing. Just crap encoding unfortunately.
Old 16 April 2012, 18:01   #20
Adropac2
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
Oids is trickier simply because it was written in Forth I think, which will likely make the code a little obfuscated, and I think its very TOS system reliant.

But it also doesn't do any fancy Timer copper effects either so, its certainly one to look at for the future as it and Sundog are two of the ST games that people most wanted back in the day.
I see then thanks for that. Yes a lot of happy folk if anyone could manage this job, but for now this is fantastic