English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 15 May 2006, 22:39   #41
Mungo
ATX - For Fun Not Status

Nasty.

There were always scare stories about busts, but very few actually happened. I think more people were busted for phreaking than anything else.
Old 15 May 2006, 22:45   #42
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

N.O.M.A.D. got a visit as well, but somehow he managed to bluff his way out, they never realised who they had!
Old 15 May 2006, 22:59   #43
Mungo
ATX - For Fun Not Status

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT
N.O.M.A.D. got a visit as well, but somehow he managed to bluff his way out, they never realised who they had!
Bloody hell. They obviously hadn't done their research

I quit the scene properly (I'd been on and off since mid 91 I think) in 1992 so missed all of that. I heard rumours that Psygnosis were super pissed with Anthrox for cracking one of their games (Before they released it I think), so I think I quit at the right time.

As I've said, I was strictly 'demo only' and fairly inactive by that point. But you never knew who they'd be after. Besides, beer and shagging were proving to be way more fun than the Amiga

I remember having to dump my Amiga (and about 400 disks) around a friends for a while at some point in 89/90. Pointlessly really as I was very small fish in the grand scheme of things. But it was easy to get caught up in the excitement

Most of those early bust rumours were just that. Rumours.

The only person who I ever knew to get busted was Dream Warrior. I think they had him for using someones PBX in a naughty, and wrong, way rather than anything strictly piracy related. Though I may be wrong on that.
Old 15 May 2006, 23:34   #44
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mungo
Bloody hell. They obviously hadn't done their research

I quit the scene properly (I'd been on and off since mid 91 I think) in 1992 so missed all of that. I heard rumours that Psygnosis were super pissed with Anthrox for cracking one of their games (Before they released it I think), so I think I quit at the right time.

As I've said, I was strictly 'demo only' and fairly inactive by that point. But you never knew who they'd be after. Besides, beer and shagging were proving to be way more fun than the Amiga

I remember having to dump my Amiga (and about 400 disks) around a friends for a while at some point in 89/90. Pointlessly really as I was very small fish in the grand scheme of things. But it was easy to get caught up in the excitement

Most of those early bust rumours were just that. Rumours.

The only person who I ever knew to get busted was Dream Warrior. I think they had him for using someones PBX in a naughty, and wrong, way rather than anything strictly piracy related. Though I may be wrong on that.
It wasn't Psygnosis it was Core Design and it was WonderDog, they were 'jolly not happy at all'.

Spookily, Jolyon Ralph (Comrade J/SAE) wrote Photogenics or had a part in it for Almathera, and they were also 'not super happy' with me. I didn't even realise its expense. some group I don't remember the name of couldn't crack it, I did it and didn't get caught out by the checksums, and gave it back to them to release. Apparently I was persona non grata and they wanted to find out where I lived so they could have me prosecuted!

It had totally the opposite effect on me, I wasn't scared at all, I loved the attention.... albeit brief as it was!
Old 16 May 2006, 01:40   #45
Mungo
ATX - For Fun Not Status

Quote:
It had totally the opposite effect on me, I wasn't scared at all, I loved the attention.... albeit brief as it was!
Jesus. My long-suffering parents had enough with the huge phonebills (Which, to be fair on myself, I did eventually pay back). I probably would have been booted out if plod had come round looking for me as well.

One of the Swedish guys we had in the group for a while found an accessible phone point in his school. Didn't believe him at the time - People always used to blag that they could get free calls. Then, after a few months or so, I got a really angry phone call from someone there demanding to know who called me and why they'd been left with a phonebill for 'several thousand krona'. She was absolutely fuming.

That was great fun. It was even more fun after they called back and got my mum after I'd told the angry woman, whilst laughing rather merrily, to 'fuck right off'.
Old 16 May 2006, 13:11   #46
scarface

Quote:
Originally Posted by bird
I lost contact to most friends from back then too, only contacts left are swoop/rebels and cg/e^d.
One of my best hangout buddies, ramone/mono sadly died some years ago, heart attack. Just as he finished some sound for a console game. Miss ya crazy fool.

Big hug to: zod,zorro,fungus,etrigan/lsd, dr.dre,beatnik,irata,strider/trsi, ltrimm/talent(c64), h2o,mogue/arclite, trivial/lp. Great times, great people.
is this bird from denmark? (ex-iris, edge, visage etc)
Old 16 May 2006, 13:28   #47
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Quote:
Spookily, Jolyon Ralph (Comrade J/SAE) wrote Photogenics or had a part in it for Almathera, and they were also 'not super happy' with me.
Yeah ComradeJ was the Prosecutions Expert Witness at the ARCADiA Trial!!! What a nice man
Old 16 May 2006, 13:55   #48
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Not sure what kind of evidence he could have given, he was long off the scene by then. Other than Photogenics, I fail to see what he could have achieved for him personally by bringing Arcadia down.
Old 16 May 2006, 14:07   #49
Mungo
ATX - For Fun Not Status

Are there any accounts of the trials online?
Old 16 May 2006, 14:37   #50
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mungo
Are there any accounts of the trials online?
You have to ask nicely and maybe one will appear

ComradeJ had a lot to get from the job... he was paid HANDSOMELY...
Old 16 May 2006, 16:17   #51
maxio

Sadly I don't see my old mates anymore. I still only know one of my original team-members.

Old 16 May 2006, 16:56   #52
Mick_AKA
crusader of light

Im only in touch with one of my old friends from 'back in the day' most of my amiga friends were allot older than me so most of them moved away before I left school
Would love to get back in touch with Danny (Cyberonicz) or Jon (Goaast) on the off chance they are hanging around here somewhere!
Old 16 May 2006, 17:36   #53
SilentBob

Some of my friends were members of long gone groups, (IMP-666, No Limits, Avalon), dunno if they're familiar. All of them have sold their Amigas long ago, just one person kept one of his Amigas (A600) for nostalgias sake. Apart from that I'm the only one left. Most of them have also moved out of town, I do see them from time to time, but they never speak about the Amiga any more. I did ask them if they kept some of their old stuff, like assembler sources/music/graphics and such, but usually they say they've thrown everything away. Too bad really.
Old 16 May 2006, 18:29   #54
bird
tRSi-iNNOVATiONs

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarface
is this bird from denmark? (ex-iris, edge, visage etc)
Too many birds. Sorry but this is the german exemplar, ex-lsd/trsi.
Old 16 May 2006, 19:35   #55
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

http://www.courtsni.gov.uk/NR/rdonly...2003NICC13.htm
Old 17 May 2006, 00:56   #56
Rick Dangerous
Registered Playmate

Lost in space...
Old 17 May 2006, 14:49   #57
MajicMushroom
Proper Old Skool Scener

Quote:
Interesting that, dude!

I'd be interested to see the one with Rotox in! He was grassed up by Kitaro who turned narc to save his own skin.

The case against Intreq would be quite humourous too!

Oh, and does anybody remember seeing in the paper around 1994 the case of a chap they called "Master of Puppets" yet was actually Maximilian (the leader of Paradox)?
Old 17 May 2006, 21:35   #58
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Maximilien did time, but then again he was one of the major suppliers of CC's.
Old 17 May 2006, 22:16   #59
MajicMushroom
Proper Old Skool Scener

It was the whole scenario that was amazing, the guy who ultimately got him busted was Andy Gaspard.. Didn't really have any choice, had to do it to save his own ass, but he basically lured Max to the US to sell him a DAT tape full of Calling Cards - When the transaction was made, in walked the Feds.

I've found This - Go to the British Calling Card Bust section. The UK chap they are on about is Intreq.
Old 17 May 2006, 23:10   #60
Mungo
ATX - For Fun Not Status

All interesting stuff. Thanks for posting it all.

I always got the impression that ComradeJ had more in common with the industry than the scene. Though find it hard to see what he would gain, other than wodges of cash, for the 'expert' witness stuff. The expert bit would have been fairly tenuous by that point anyway - "I was active on the scene about six or so years ago in a non-cracking group without so much as a bbs your honour" - I mean wtf?!

Maybe he felt some kind of strange guilt for teaching so many future crackers to code.....