English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Demos

Old 07 July 2018, 17:44   #1
Yragael

Looking for a demo with adaptive vector balls

Hi

I'm writing an article about BOBs, and I would like to mention vector balls. I am looking for a demo with vector balls, where a ball diameter would change depending on the depth of the ball. Usually, this diameter is always the same.

Does anybody remember such a demo ?

Also, I remember I came across a demo where the balls were not balls, but little cubes. And I forgot the name of the demo. Does anybody know what demo it may be ?
Old 09 July 2018, 21:29   #2
volvo_0ne

Real Empathy By Virtual has adaptive objects.
about half the way through (after the 2nd "movie")

http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=65752

Not sure if this is the kind of thing you are looking for

BTW it ONLY works with a 1.2 Kickstart, and even then you need to faff about with settings in Winuae

It's a feisty one for sure!
Old 17 July 2018, 21:40   #3
Yragael

I could not make it work. Displays a nice kickstart logo animation, then a message and loads up to track 20, then nothing. I used a classic A500 no FAST kickstart 1.3 (won't load with 1.2 : setpatch fails). Any hints about the required tweakings in WinUAE ?
Old 17 July 2018, 22:27   #4
volvo_0ne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yragael View Post
I could not make it work. Displays a nice kickstart logo animation, then a message and loads up to track 20, then nothing. I used a classic A500 no FAST kickstart 1.3 (won't load with 1.2 : setpatch fails). Any hints about the required tweakings in WinUAE ?
I have a WHDLoad "fixed" version which may/may not help.

It works on A1200+8Mb Fastram config for me (that's prettymuch all I use), although the first part (chequoured floor & vector objects) ar out of sync & some objects don't show, but the later parts are fine.

I'll pop it in the zone if you like?
Old 17 July 2018, 22:34   #5
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Also, I remember I came across a demo where the balls were not balls, but little cubes. And I forgot the name of the demo. Does anybody know what demo it may be ?

[ Show youtube player ].

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo_0ne View Post
I have a WHDLoad "fixed" version which may/may not help.

It works on A1200+8Mb Fastram config for me (that's prettymuch all I use), although the first part (chequoured floor & vector objects) ar out of sync & some objects don't show, but the later parts are fine.

I'll pop it in the zone if you like?

As I'm the one who made the WHDLoad patch I'd appreciate such reports on the Mantis bug tracker as I can only fix problems I know about. What CPU does your A1200 have?

Edit: checked my WHDLoad readme, I even mentioned the timing problems (a lot of work to fix these), as for the disappearing objects, did you try NOCACHE as suggested in the readme?

Quote:
I used a classic A500 no FAST kickstart 1.3 (won't load with 1.2 : setpatch fails). Any hints about the required tweakings in WinUAE ?
Demo works fine on 1.3 (that it only works on 1.2 as mentioned is wrong) and 1 MB (512k+512k).

Last edited by StingRay; 17 July 2018 at 22:49. Reason: All replies in a single post
Old 17 July 2018, 22:45   #6
volvo_0ne

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
As I'm the one who made the WHDLoad patch I'd appreciate such reports on the Mantis bug tracker as I can only fix problems I know about. What CPU does your A1200 have?
Hi Stingray
It's WinUAE A1200 + 8Mb fastram 68020 nothing fancy and I hav,n't tried tweaking the WHDload settings either.

I love this demo and thanks for making the WHDLoad

It was always troublesome from the first time I got it, infact I never saw the end of it until about 2012 when I discovered WinUae!
Old 17 July 2018, 22:51   #7
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo_0ne View Post
Hi Stingray
It's WinUAE A1200 + 8Mb fastram 68020 nothing fancy and I hav,n't tried tweaking the WHDload settings either.

I love this demo and thanks for making the WHDLoad

It was always troublesome from the first time I got it, infact I never saw the end of it until about 2012 when I discovered WinUae!

Try NOCACHE (there is a lot of self-modifying code which cause quite a bit of problems on anything else than 68000 machines. I may revisit the patch one day but it really requires a lot of work to fix the timing, not 100% sure I can be bothered even though I like the demo.
Old 17 July 2018, 22:54   #8
volvo_0ne

Quote:
ok you need

1.2 rom, ocs agnus, 512 chip +512k slow ram

BUT the most important thing is set slider to "Best Compatability" or it will not work

Also it *sometimes* doesn't work in UAE if you have 2 drives implied (No idea why)

Hope this helps
V1
Old 17 July 2018, 23:40   #9
volvo_0ne

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
Try NOCACHE (there is a lot of self-modifying code which cause quite a bit of problems on anything else than 68000 machines. I may revisit the patch one day but it really requires a lot of work to fix the timing, not 100% sure I can be bothered even though I like the demo.
I appreciate you even doing a WHDLoad for such an obscure & old production StingRay, it is awesome, Thank you!

I was quite late to the Amiga (My first was an A500+ vanilla) Then I had an A1200 and a CDTV (for the cd drive via PARNET mainly) then I found out about comms & BBS's etc

So I wasn't really party to the earlier productions, but for some reason (probably the music) i always had a love for this particular demo.

Even thought it wasn't "groundbreaking" to me at the time, I still revisit it regularly.

Once again, Thanks for the WHDLoad which makes things much easier than configuring just for this ONE demo ( I dont think I use 1.2 for ANYTHING else)

Cheers dood!