English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 13 July 2018, 07:50   #1
cheshirenoir
I miss my A1200

What the heck is this... thing?

Hey Folks,
So I have got an Amiga 1200T in a terible state, and I'm going through all the mods that have been added to this board. I'm hoping that the small board marked PC KB Rev3 is an AT Keyboard adapter, but there's one board that has me stumped.
It's marked superbonio A4kD_ATX, and it seems to be actually designed for an Amiga 4000 (From the markings)
It's got an ATX Power Input, 2 olde world AT power leads, a bunch of fan headers in 12, 7 and 5v, a flylead terminating in a socket clip that looks like it could clip over a CIA?
Other than that it has a couple of jumpers, some discrete components and 2 chips with the markings scratched off.

Anyone recognise what this thing is?
Old 13 July 2018, 08:25   #2
musashi5150
move.w #$4489,$dff07e

Looks to me like an ATX to AT PSU adapter with a flying socket for a reset switch. From memory I think they fit over the Gayle chip? As it's got AT PSU connectors, I'd assume it plugged into an A1200 zorro busboard of some kind.

Either that or, as you say, it converts A4000 PSU to AT... it is kinda odd.
Old 13 July 2018, 08:26   #3
watman

superbonio is a polish Amigan, I will ask him directly on polish forum, as it seems he's not under the same nickname here
Old 13 July 2018, 17:37   #4
superbonio

The board you write about is a diversified ATX power interface to AT.&lt;br /&gt;<br />
As you wrote, it has two outputs for the fans, 2x12V, 2x9V and 2x5V&lt;br /&gt;<br />
The CIA chip overlay (U8 for A1200) (U300 for A4000D) is used for software amiga switching (AMI_ATX using _SEL2 signal), the 3pin connector on this overlay is used for Ratte AutoMonitorSwitch.&lt;br /&gt;<br />
In addition, jumpers on this board are used to select one of two modes of operation:&lt;br /&gt;<br />
1. The usual switching on and off of the ATX power supply, with a momentary switch.&lt;br /&gt;<br />
2. Software switching off the ATX power supply, switching on and off with momentary switch (when switching off, one must hold a few seconds and also wait a few seconds to switch on), additionally on the aminet there is a program (switchcontrol) which is responsible for turning off the power with this program.&lt;br /&gt;<br />
There are also 2 blank pins on the board, which in turn are short-circuited while the ATX power supply is turned on, and when it is turned off, something like a switch in AT computers, it is normally not used.&lt;br /&gt;<br />
And on this PCB there is also space for 3x 3.30V output, for example for direct power supply 060, CVPPC / BVPPC and Radeon 9250.
If you still have a problem with this tile then write.
Old 14 July 2018, 06:51   #5
cheshirenoir
I miss my A1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbonio View Post
The board you write about is a diversified ATX power interface
Cool! Thank you so much! (I wasn't sure whether Superbonio was a brand or a name. This has certainly cleared up that )
I really appreciate all your help with this, and great to know you're still out there hacking away at hardware.

I'll put this to good use.