English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware pics

Old 20 November 2017, 01:39   #1
kipper2k

Amiga 500 Keyboard membrane fix

Hi all,

I had an a500 keyboard that wasnt working, the Return, delete and a couple others weren't working so i took a look and i found that some of the traces had disintegrated for whatever reason by the "Return" key. so after thinking on how to fix it i tried some thin wire and a nickel liquid pen.

I scraped the carbon pads a little to roughen them up, laid some wire, taped it in position and then applied the nickel. Let is sit for a few hours and am happy to say it is ALIVE!!

here is what i used...

https://www.digikey.com/products/en?keywords=841AR-p
Old 20 November 2017, 01:55   #2
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Thanks for sharing the info
Old 26 March 2018, 11:52   #3
Trolley

Good information. I also have some keyboards to repair.

Old 29 September 2018, 14:12   #4
cmorley

I had an Acorn A3000 keyboard membrane which battery leakage had damaged the traces on the flexi at the connector. The connector was completely ruined.

After reading the OP I tried a repair with a nickle pen (I have the MG chemicals brand).

First I cleaned off all the flaking traces from the flexi with IPA & cotton buds. I then repaired the tracks which push into the connector with the nickle pen. I did it under a microscope which made it easier to clean/paint. Leave it a few hours to cure and it worked perfectly.

The nickle flakes off a bit if you remove the flexi from the connector but that can be touched up. Seems like a good way to repair rare keyboards.

So it is possible to repair flexi-edge connections with a nickle pen! Thanks for the inspiration kipper2k.