English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 13 September 2012, 20:24   #61
Vollldo

No no no, the disk 2 on the both cracked versions are bootable, completely independant of the first.

On a NTSC machine, you can use the non modified Skid Row's disk 1 for the intro, then the Melnok's non modified disk 2 for the game.

My question 1) and 2) are still active. We should ask Galahad if the modification he did for the Melnok's disk 1 can be applied to the disk 2 and also on the Skid Row's disk 1. If yes we have a perfect crack for a PAL machine. The NTSC ones will use the non modified disks.

Last edited by Vollldo; 13 September 2012 at 20:30.

Old 13 September 2012, 20:30   #62
brett71

While it's true that Skid Row's disk 1 might be fine and Melnok's disk 2 might be fine (and is bootable), a proper crack would play the intro on disk 1 and then have you swap disks and load the game from disk 2, because that's how the original worked. That's my opinion, anyway. I would not keep a hybrid crack like that.

Honestly, I can't remember what the original did to prompt for a disk change. I always had 2 drives, so I think I always had disk 2 in DF1: and it just picked it up on its own. Melnok's loader might not have had to add in that functionality. I don't recall for sure.

I've tried contacting Galahad about the sound filter issues in Melnok's loader, but he does not respond to my messages.
Old 13 September 2012, 23:04   #63
Vollldo

Quote:
While it's true that Skid Row's disk 1 might be fine and Melnok's disk 2 might be fine (and is bootable), a proper crack would play the intro on disk 1 and then have you swap disks and load the game from disk 2, because that's how the original worked. That's my opinion, anyway. I would not keep a hybrid crack like that.
Well, what can i say... I appreciate normally the purist ways of doing things (and the people whom i already talked with here will confirm you this), so yes in normal cases i would be agree with this approach. But honestly, i think we can be pleased to have a working crack even if it is an "hybrid" one... I remind you that we are waiting since... 20 YEARS ! I highly respect "proper" jobs but another time, these considerations are a bit... How can i say... "Too much".

If the second disk wasn't bootable i wouldn't have this opinion (and of course, because we wouldn't have any other choices), but well it is not the case and i would prefer an hybrid working crack than... NOTHING.

Hope that Galahad will find the time to respond yes.

Thanks a lot by the way to have sent him a message, you had a good idea .

Old 21 January 2014, 13:02   #64
Vollldo

Atchoum lol ! . This thread is full of dust, it needed to be resurected !

I would want to die happy with the satisfaction to see one day a correct crack in ADF format of this cult one. I insist i know, but it doesn't seem to interrst anyone were as this game is a really great one (personnal opinion but i'm far to be the one to think this even a lot of people are going to disagree eh eh).

So guys may someone crack AT LAST this game without the slow title music on PAL machines ? Without the filter on/off in the Melnok crack that ruins the music ? Without the doll speed bug in the Skidrow version ? A clean fully transferable version is all the more justified as this game is one of the rare that can't be written back on disk with a Kryoflux (at less the last time i checked it wasn't possible).

Damn guys come on !!! I'm sure it would make happy a lot of gamers who are using floppy disks on a real Amiga !

Old 21 January 2014, 15:30   #65
musashi9

Send a message via ICQ to musashi9
I did KGS a few years ago but I only did the game disk. I couldn't be bothered doing the intro.
Feel free to test it (in the zone).
I never tested it much so I dont know if it works or not.
Old 23 January 2014, 15:33   #66
Vollldo

Woooonderfull musashi9, let me download and transfer it, then test it a while.
The main is to check the doll liquid speed and the correct rythm of the ingame music too (i forgot to mention that the ingame music is also TOO slow in the Skidrow version).

I am your guest to test the intro disk if you want to crack it yes, it would be so great mate !

Old 23 January 2014, 17:02   #67
Vollldo

Just transfered your disk 2 musashi9 and compared with the Melnok version : the music rythm is perfect and the doll raises at the exact same speed than the Melnok version !

I played the first level only but all seems ok, more other it loads very fast (faster than the Melnok version !). Well it seems we have a potential disk 2 winner ! We need guys here to test a bit more !

And now you can focus on the first disk, i can't wait to at last have a clean transferable one.

Thanks a lot mate !

EDIT : i found a bug. I let roll the demo then selected SFX and after have loaded the fist level it crashed, plenty of vertical bands of colours on screen (the control panel remained visible). Can't reproduct it for now though.

EDIT2 : Just reproducted it, see the attached picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kgs.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	162.7 KB
ID:	38726  

Last edited by Vollldo; 23 January 2014 at 17:20.

Old 24 January 2014, 07:42   #68
musashi9

Send a message via ICQ to musashi9
oopps wrong file size for the sample file.
Try the second version in the Zone.
Old 25 January 2014, 11:48   #69
Vollldo

Mmm great i test it this afternoon mate .

EDIT : Ok i just tested it, and i couldn't reproduce the bug . Seems that all is ok apparently, if people here want to test deepe it would be helpfull. You can crack the first disk now so, it shouldn't be a problem certainly as you already did the second very well ! I'm your guest to test the first too .

Last edited by Vollldo; 26 January 2014 at 20:50.