English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 27 June 2006, 21:09   #1
aix
Amiuser 1987-1995,2006-?

installing real hd from winuae

hi all,
i'm new to this forum, i've read FAQS, posts, but it can solve my problem:
i want to format a hardrive within winuae 1.2; the hd is connected via usb on my pc (laptop)
i've read topics saying launching winuae (btw i've v1.2) with option command line -disableharddrivesafetycheck . ok, i launch winuae, click on hard drive, it detects my hd. i check read/write . i put install 3.1 disk in df0:
right click on the hdtoolbox, menu informations -> here is my config:
SCSI_DEVICE_NAME= ...
i've tried scsi.device, uaehf.device, uaescsi.device .... none of them made my disk found.
SCSI_MAX_ADRESS=6
SCSI_MAX_LUN=7
XT_NAME= XT

i've tried 3 differents disks: 2.5" seagate 2go, 3.5wd 1.2go, maxtor 3.5 20go ... none of them were detected.
did i do something wrong ?
Old 27 June 2006, 22:20   #2
thomas

Quote:
ok, i launch winuae, click on hard drive, it detects my hd. i check read/write . i put install 3.1 disk in df0:
Make sure your HDD is the first one in the list.

Quote:
SCSI_DEVICE_NAME= ...
i've tried scsi.device, uaehf.device, uaescsi.device .... none of them made my disk found.
The line should read

SCSI_DEVICE_NAME=uaehf.device

make sure that there are no brackets around the line and that there are no spaces anywhere.
Old 28 June 2006, 14:44   #3
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

you may have to run WINUAE from dos / command prompt from the WINUAE dir with the following arguments

c:\program files\winuae\winuae.exe -disableharddrivesafetycheck (which you are doing)

please be carefull upon which harddisk you select *you dont wanna format your sys disk*

A classic problem is putting a ':' after the name of the device i.e. "DH0:" would make it fail where as "DH0" works.

I have to admit that the above method works quite nice as I have been playing around setting up Compact Flash as hardisks on my laptop via a pcmcia adapter!

you can thank thomas for this advice as he gave it to me some time ago... a very smart man that thomas...
Old 28 June 2006, 17:33   #4
aix
Amiuser 1987-1995,2006-?

thanks Thomas!
It works fine now , don't known wat i did wrong before ?! but anyway thanks!
@zetro: i'm planing to install CF card in my a600 with an IDE/CF adapter, i hope -disableharddrivesafetycheck will see my CF card ... (maybe i should put the CF card with IDE adapter on pc too, for winuae to see the CF as a disk)...
Old 28 June 2006, 17:54   #5
Jope
-

You should be able to see the CF card even through a USB card reader.
Old 28 June 2006, 18:42   #6
aix
Amiuser 1987-1995,2006-?

unfortunatly not, i've tried this but the CF card is not recognized when plugged USB card reader ...
Old 28 June 2006, 19:28   #7
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Works fine here. (tested with 32MB and 256MB CF-cards)

Make sure you don't have any explorer windows (or similar) open because direct access needs exclusive read/write handle.
Old 29 June 2006, 01:19   #8
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

in all honestly, I found it glitchy at best through the usb, I have a thought it might be all the APPS and more specifically the services i have running ( its a developer box ) so i found direct IDE connection gave me more success.

there is one small glitch with a pcmcia adapter to cf card, even though you can change the max-transfers from 0xfffff to 0x01fffff, it doesn`t seem to actually change (and hance has boot errors on a real amiga), to get arround this problem I use an CF ide interface for initial hard disk prep and this solves the probelm.

Again I dont think WinUAE is at fault, after all I do have a lot of background services running on my dev rigs
Old 28 November 2017, 11:09   #9
redblade
Zone Friend

Hi.

I'm having trouble with formating and installing to a CF 4GB card on WinUAE (the version from Dec/2016, the latest one crashes on my computer). I'm using windows 10 and can get up to the HD tool box. It shows up, I go to partion the drive but it shows up.

block zero write attempt but drive has one or mounted partions or WinUAE is not running as sysadmin.

I run -disableharddrivesafetycheck from DOS and my account is the admin on win 8.2 home.

Thanks
Old 28 November 2017, 12:26   #10
Jope
-

Did you right click the winuae icon and select run as administrator?
Old 28 November 2017, 12:46   #11
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Why did you reply to 11 year old thread? -disableblahblah has not existed for ages..

Drive most likely has FAT partition, it needs to be erased (or use newer winuae that has "lock" option in add harddrive panel).

btw, correct way is to solve the crash first. I don't support old versions.
Old 28 November 2017, 19:08   #12
redblade
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Why did you reply to 11 year old thread? -disableblahblah has not existed for ages..

Drive most likely has FAT partition, it needs to be erased (or use newer winuae that has "lock" option in add harddrive panel).

btw, correct way is to solve the crash first. I don't support old versions.
Because this is how I did it the last time I formatted a HD which was 11+ years ago.

Yes I was running it as System Admin. I could not locate a "lock" option on the add harddrive panel. I'll try the new one again.
Old 29 November 2017, 05:13   #13
redblade
Zone Friend

All good. Managed to Format and install software on a real CF card using latest WinUAE.

Thanks