English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 13 December 2017, 05:37   #1
lost_lemming

Thumbs down commodore 1084s monitor smoke up

Brought this monitor down from the attic which had been sat there for 5-6 months. It worked fine before I put it up there.
Now it's quite cold here, say 0-4 degrees. I let the monitor sit in a warm room for about 12 hours to make sure it had dried out a bit because I hear you gotta be careful with dampness and CRT's

turned it on, made quiet sizzling sounds, nothing on the screen. then 3 seconds later as I was about to turn it off a faint vertical red rectangle glowed on screen - then it disappeared and a small puff of smoke came out the top and I was like woah woah woah woah! turned it off in a flash!

Too scared to try turning it on again, I'll wait till tomorrow? What do you think has happened?
It was deffo smoke not steam! (I could tell from the smell, familiar burnt plastic smell) I wondered if maybe the flyback (whatever it's called) suction cup has frazzled? Might have to take it apart but these things can cause instant death!
Old 13 December 2017, 12:16   #2
zipper

Most probably the flyback transformer gave up - not too easy to find and get fixed.
Old 13 December 2017, 13:16   #3
ptyerman

They are pretty easy to get if you look around. You would have to look at the LOPT for the part number, it is usually on a label stuck on the side of it, it could be a HR7533 or a HR7506, the Phillips monitors and some others also use the same part.
A quick search on the part number took me to this page which is the HR7506. A similar search should give you the other part if it is that one.
If it is the LOPT that's burnt out, you will want to change the Line Output Transistor as well, a BU508A is the one for the job. Don't forget to apply a good smothering of thermal grease behind it while fitting.

Edit to add:
Be very careful when touching anything to do with the flyback circuits, it's extremely high voltages and can kill in a instant even when been switched off for weeks.
Make sure you discharge it to earth with a suitably thick wire before working on it.
Your best option is to purchase the replacement parts then have a qualified TV repair shop fit them for you.

Last edited by ptyerman; 13 December 2017 at 13:23.
Old 13 December 2017, 19:01   #4
idrougge

Open it up and inspect it before you decide that it's the LOPT.
Old 14 December 2017, 03:35   #5
modrobert
old bearded fool

Sizzling sounds and smoke puffs, getting hungry.

I agree with idrougge, open it up and check before ordering parts.
Old 14 December 2017, 09:36   #6
zipper

When my 1438 smoked the fault was readily evident on the flyback windings, some swelling and brownish tint. Luckily under warranty...
Old 14 December 2017, 10:02   #7
roy bates

i still repair monitors,and to fair i cant work out what went in yours,so not sure how others have come to the conclusion as to what failed without even seeing it
Old 14 December 2017, 10:07   #8
nobody

I have one 1084S-P that had the same symptoms. Technician told me was the flyback transformer an not worth repairing, about 100 € or more buying the parts pay for transport and pay technician. Don't open it for any reason. It could go really badly if you are not an expert. I got a Sony Trinitron 14" instead for 15€ and scart RGB, incredible image. Still keep that 1084S maybe one day I'll fix it.
Old 14 December 2017, 10:14   #9
roy bates

actually,i see your in birmingham

i can look at it for you,if your willing to bring it to me i charge for parts and labour when i do repairs

the offer is there if you like
you might have to send me a pm as im not on here much
Old 14 December 2017, 10:23   #10
ransom1122

I got a techie to fix my flyback on my 1084S. Quite expensive fix couple if hundred dollars. It was either that or no more monitor.

I would never even attempt to fix it myself. Id rather live
Old 14 December 2017, 13:00   #11
idrougge

No-one is going to die by removing the lid and just looking (not poking) at the innards if you leave the screen not plugged in for a week or two. Look for signs of burns or explosions, both on the logic board and the PSU board.
Old 14 December 2017, 16:41   #12
Signman

or this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	electrocuted.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	55851  
Old 14 December 2017, 17:12   #13
Amiga1992

I have a pact with myself, that when anything like this happens with eitehr of my 1084s, I will just dump them or sell them for parts. I did it twice in the past.
It's just not worth the hassle. I rather try to find another, or just get something else (a PVM/BVM or a modern LCD display, ugh).

It's just not worth the hassle at all, especially if you are not a TV technician.
Old 14 December 2017, 19:52   #14
lost_lemming

ok dokey... update. my dad who's an electrical genius has had a good investigation. I told him about the burn out.
Turns out it's the "yolk" and the bit that burnt out was small portion of the copper wire, all that copper wire that is wrapped around the inside.. which explains the glow. Said it might be repairable!
Which is great news cause these oldschool crt Amiga monitors are getting rare'er. well, not super rare but rare'ISH. (in the UK at least)

Thought it was gonna be the flyblack transformer. glad it wasn't! I'll keep you all updated as I'm sure you want to know the outcome.

oh and thanks for all the replies guys.
Old 15 December 2017, 00:02   #15
roy bates

lopts dont normally burst into flames anyway

what would of happened if the lopt failed normally on these would be a high pitch whining noise and no picture at all
Old 15 December 2017, 01:06   #16
zorblon98

Holy cow, strange coincidence! I just bought a 1084S off Craigslist a few weeks back, and mine just died this evening. Terrible burning smell internally as well. I had it on for a short time this evening, and was looking at my phone while it was sitting idle, and heard it sound like it just turned off by itself, but the power button was still on. The picture was gone though, then a few moments after noticed the burning smell. I've yet to take it apart to try to diagnose yet. Pretty sad since I was loving this 1084s, picture and sound were amazing. Plus I'm waiting for my HC508 to come in the mail next week and have no monitor!
Old 15 December 2017, 03:20   #17
Franchute13

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost_lemming View Post
ok dokey... update. my dad who's an electrical genius has had a good investigation. I told him about the burn out.
Turns out it's the "yolk" and the bit that burnt out was small portion of the copper wire, all that copper wire that is wrapped around the inside.. which explains the glow. Said it might be repairable!
Which is great news cause these oldschool crt Amiga monitors are getting rare'er. well, not super rare but rare'ISH. (in the UK at least)

Thought it was gonna be the flyblack transformer. glad it wasn't! I'll keep you all updated as I'm sure you want to know the outcome.

oh and thanks for all the replies guys.
Could you upload images of the damaged component?
Old 19 December 2017, 19:24   #18
lost_lemming

GREAT NEWS!
the monitor lives! the yolk has been repaired.
To Franchute13, no pictures were taken when it was burnt but it's got to be taken apart again soon anyway, as there's a slight angle of the image (very slight clockwise rotation) and some of the RGB's are separating from black lines. I need to try and get deluxe paint on there and just draw some thin black lines on white.
He repaired each copper wire in the yolk there were like 30+ of them! then they had to be taped so it didn't short out or something.
Pics will come soon trust me. Very happy this monitor isn't dead! long live a classic.