English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.ClassicWB

Old 27 July 2015, 06:36   #1
toddbailey

x-surf-100 install questions

I'm pretty weak in my understanding of most things networking and amiga so if these are dumb questions consider the person asking...

ok, so I got this new card and plugged it in, connected a net cable and then installed the internet package off the os 3.9 cd, installed the xsurf drivers from the floppy and "easy net pro" off the cd. As some point a config window poped up when I entered the ip address, mask, router/gateway rebooted and now what? opening the broswer says I'm not connected, dig a bit and find a tool that you click to connect and still nothing.

any ideas where to start troubleshooting, what else I need to install etc?
Did I miss editting a config file, or ?

the only error message I get is can't connect ... amitcp: amitcp.030 cannot be found.
thanks
Old 27 July 2015, 07:50   #2
duga

If you are using DHCP which most people are you shouldn't fill in any IP addresses. Run the wizard again and choose DHCP.
Old 27 July 2015, 07:50   #3
thomas

Genesis and EasyNet both use AmiTCP internally, you cannot use both at the same time. If you want to use EasyNet then you should uninstall Genesis and vice versa.
Old 27 July 2015, 09:28   #4
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
You might find MiamiDX easier to use, it has a nice Wizard to guide you through setting up a connection. The other option is Roadshow, it's paid for software but there is a Demo version you can try, although command line based it's still pretty easy to use.
Old 27 July 2015, 10:45   #5
thomas

Genesis has a wizard, too and I am quite sure that EasyNet has this name for a reason.
Old 27 July 2015, 16:28   #6
toddbailey

Perhaps, I might want to un-install everything and start over.

None of the wizards had a dhcp option, which I thought to be unusual.
In any event, at least in other instances, using dhcp make network config a lot easier.

I'm not sure why it's called easy net, I found many postings on how difficult it is to install and configure and many people appear to have the same issues as I am having.

To make matters worse, easy net assumes the installer has a full understanding of the tcp stack and has aminet installed. which I don't and I am not sure if I do.

I was expecting a simple point and click install, but silly me for thinking this.
Old 27 July 2015, 16:40   #7
thomas

AmiTCP and Genesis don't support DHCP. You need to use a static IP address for the Amiga.

I think that EasyNet got confused because you had Genesis installed already. Edit s:user-startup, remove the Assign AmiTCP: SYS:Internet/Genesis, reboot and install EasyNet again.
Old 02 August 2015, 20:08   #8
toddbailey

Well, been fighting with this device and the usb add on and not having a lot of success
I've basically started over beginning at the device driver install and I think this might be the point of failure. The card has a test program xsurftest, that appears to fail the test phase reporting that no rtl8019 is not found. I've tried testing with jumper open and closed, running a command cpu nocache fastrom and all 4 or 5 of the different drivers

any ideas on what else to try?

hardware config is A3000 16 mhz, 68030 +68881. w/ 2meg chip, 4 meg fast memory in static column mode, 64 mb fastlane z3, 3.1 roms with super buster v11 upgrade, wb 3.9, 2 floppy drives, 3 scsi drives (dvd rom, 2 1gb jaz drives).

fyi: planned upgrade next week includes replacement of scsi controller and 16 meg fast page memory.

The installed binaries include the xsurf100 drivers, the usb drivers, easynetpro and the amiga web browser.
Anything else I need ? did I miss anything?

Last edited by toddbailey; 02 August 2015 at 20:15.
Old 02 August 2015, 20:15   #9
thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddbailey View Post
The card has a test program xsurftest, that appears to fail the test phase reporting that no rtl8019 is not found.
Are you sure you're using the right software? The RTL8019 is a 10mbit chip on the original X-Surf. The X-Surf-100 has a 100mbit AX88796B chip.
Old 02 August 2015, 20:54   #10
toddbailey

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
Are you sure you're using the right software? The RTL8019 is a 10mbit chip on the original X-Surf. The X-Surf-100 has a 100mbit AX88796B chip.

interesting note: I'm using the floppy that was shipped, unlabelled I might add.
I'll check and report back.
Old 02 August 2015, 22:24   #11
toddbailey

OK, software installation is correct, I've been over the install process a few times, just no functionality. I was briefly able to get the usb part of the card to work, but once I rebooted nothing. I'll try logging a help request with the company who made the hardware maybe they can figure it out
Old 03 August 2015, 00:28   #12
toddbailey

well, I got limited success, after much tinkering, I am now able to ping a local server and google.com. But I can't ping the amiga from other internal machines nor does the router list the amiga as being connected. I'm using a static ip of 192.168.1.29, the router is 192.168.1.1 local servers are .10 and .20 etc.

but that is about it. I can't open a simple test text only web page from a local web server nor can I open google. I am running the the card in z2 mode and using the default 68020 driver.

Did I just spend over $200 usd on a bunch of crap hardware that doesn't or barely functions? Or is there additional config changes I can make to get a page to open ?

btw: still no usb connections

thanks
Old 03 August 2015, 06:18   #13
kneehighspy

have you tried with only the netsurf card installed and all other cards removed?

tried it in different slot?
Old 06 August 2015, 02:33   #14
toddbailey

Well, I guess we can rack this up to really poor documentation,
I finally got the network and usb to talk to the outside world, performance is much less that remarkable, but it sure beats snickernet.
In the end it required thinking outside the box (er installation notes) , but on to new projects. Thanks to all who offered their 5 cents worth of advice