English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.FS-UAE

Old 07 December 2012, 19:44   #1
mr_a500
Amiga-based Cyborg

Why is NTSC mode so much slower than PAL?

Running the same setup & Workbench in PAL and NTSC mode, NTSC is way slower. (I'd say 34.8% slower, but that's just going by feel. ) Sound is much slower and choppier.

Is there a reason for this huge difference in speed? I don't recall there being a speed difference when I tried WinUAE a few years ago.

Last edited by mr_a500; 07 December 2012 at 19:51.
Old 07 December 2012, 20:13   #2
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_a500 View Post
Running the same setup & Workbench in PAL and NTSC mode, NTSC is way slower. (I'd say 34.8% slower, but that's just going by feel. ) Sound is much slower and choppier.

Is there a reason for this huge difference in speed? I don't recall there being a speed difference when I tried WinUAE a few years ago.
If you run a PAL game in a PAL computer it will play normal speed, if you play a PAL game in an NTSC computer the screen will cut off the bottom portion of the screen and the music will also play faster
Old 07 December 2012, 20:16   #3
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_a500 View Post

Hi, one possible reason is that your computer is now powerful enough to run with full vsync (or at least that there are some performance problems related to running with full vsync). With the default auto setting, FS-UAE will enable full video synchronization when the Amiga refresh rate and the host refresh rate matches (60Hz).

Try to adjust the video synchronization setting in Settings -> Video Settings, and change it from "Auto" to "Sync to Vblank" (which should rather be called "Flip on Vblank" when I think about it) or "Off". Using "Off" should be the fastest option.
Old 07 December 2012, 20:28   #4
mr_a500
Amiga-based Cyborg

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodeSolheim View Post
Hi, one possible reason is that your computer is now powerful enough to run with full vsync (or at least that there are some performance problems related to running with full vsync). With the default auto setting, FS-UAE will enable full video synchronization when the Amiga refresh rate and the host refresh rate matches (60Hz).

Try to adjust the video synchronization setting in Settings -> Video Settings, and change it from "Auto" to "Sync to Vblank" (which should rather be called "Flip on Vblank" when I think about it) or "Off". Using "Off" should be the fastest option.
Yes, that was it. I'm running at 60Hz, so FS-UAE must have automatically turned on full sync and my computer's not fast enough for that. Thanks again!

(...watch out for more problem threads from me though... )

Edit: I didn't go to "Settings -> Video Settings" because I don't have the config GUI. I just edited the config file manually.