English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General

Old 03 October 2008, 13:45   #41
Thorham
Computer Nerd

First: Don't forget my two previous posts, plz

I've got a little something for you here: BmpView_12bit.txt

It's an optimized 24bit to 12bit test viewer, and it's quite fast. Assemble in AsmOne with case sensitivity off. Use with bmp files (stored in ram disk preferably). Try it with a 1280x1024x24 picture, and be sure to check the c2p.

Note: Bmp file name is at the end of the source code.

Updated c2p routine (slightly optimized compared to version in viewer):
Code:
;---------------------------------------------------------------
;C2P
;----------------------------------------------------------------
C2P	movem.l	d0-a6,-(sp)

move.l	bmp_buffer,a4
	move.l	_screen,a3

move.l	scale_height,d6
	mulu.w	#40,d6
	move.l	#40960*2,a6
C2P_Main
	move.l	a6,a5
	add.l	a6,a5
	add.l	a6,a5
	subq.l	#4,a5

move.l	#$33333333,d5
	move.l	#$55555555,d7
a
C2P_Loop
	moveq	#7,d4
.loop
	lsl.l	#4,d0
	or.b	(a4)+,d0
	lsl.l	#4,d1
	or.b	(a4)+,d1
	lsl.l	#4,d2
	or.b	(a4)+,d2
	lsl.l	#4,d3
	or.b	(a4)+,d3

dbra	d4,.loop
;2 bits
	ror.l	#2,d2
	move.l	d0,d4
	eor.l	d2,d4
	and.l	d5,d4
	eor.l	d4,d0
	eor.l	d4,d2
	rol.l	#2,d2

ror.l	#2,d3
	move.l	d1,d4
	eor.l	d3,d4
	and.l	d5,d4
	eor.l	d4,d1
	eor.l	d4,d3
;1 bit
	ror.l	#1,d1
	move.l	d0,d4
	eor.l	d1,d4
	and.l	d7,d4
	eor.l	d4,d0
	eor.l	d4,d1
	rol.l	#1,d1

rol.l	#1,d3
	move.l	d2,d4
	eor.l	d3,d4
	and.l	d7,d4
	eor.l	d4,d2
	eor.l	d4,d3
	rol.l	#1,d3
;write planes
	move.l	d3,(a3)
	add.l	a6,a3
	move.l	d2,(a3)
	add.l	a6,a3
	move.l	d1,(a3)
	add.l	a6,a3
	move.l	d0,(a3)

sub.l	a5,a3

subq.l	#1,d6
	bne	c2p_loop
b
	movem.l	(sp)+,d0-a6
	rts
;---------------------------------------------------

Last edited by Thorham; 03 October 2008 at 14:24.
Old 07 October 2008, 18:28   #42
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorham View Post
True. Without JIT, UAE would be quite a bit slower. Not a problem, because it creates a substantial speedup, and it's perfectly acceptable for such aplications.
But even with that UAE is totally beaten up by real hardware in multitasking speed on the Amiga side...

Quote:
Hmm, well yes, I guess my intuition sucks 'a little'
I too was very surprised when I discovered this. My debugger still doesn't work on 060

Quote:
Ok, but I thought for moving a whole bunch of numbers around, then it makes no sense, or just not always.
It's the sort of instruction that you don't use often, I agree, but when you need it you happily use it. Yet I have no proof this won't work on 060 : my "move.l a7,-(a7) / move.l (a7)+,d0 / sub.l a7,d0" test failed on both 040 and 060 ! (you really get 0, not -4)

Quote:
In this system frame, the functions which are added to make use of the frame, are to handle the error codes the frame returns. In the case of a file not existing, the added program can just call the frames exit function. Ultimately, the situation you describe is a programmers error. How much do you want automated, and more importantly, how much makes sense to automate?
It makes a lot of sense to automate, because 1) those are just too easily forgotten and 2) they're cumbersome, boring and repetitive code.
So, unless told otherwise, my own frame just aborts with an error message.

Quote:
Haven't looked at it yet. But it sounds like they've just explained it in a bad way. Any alternatives?
Nope. No alternatives found. The only other references that I know of are (not very readable) code.

Quote:
RTD? Nope. Looked it up in my 68000 book, but it's apparently 68020+. But link/unlk, yes. I've just forgotten about them, I guess. Time to use those in my frame instead, because they make more sense
Yeah, it's 020+, but it's not hard to simulate with a few 68000 instructions.
I can give you a small macro if you want. Now the callee will correct the SP, not the caller. Say, just rtd #4 in the callee rather than make the caller do an addq.l #4,a7.

Quote:
Oh, they did? Not cooperative I hope? And yeah, msdos just plain sucks. Period And again, it's true. Os calls often don't need speed. Although I may have written this before, in witch case I , in my Os (written over ten years ago), I started out with passing registers to functions, and got in trouble real fast, because some of the functions required a relatively large amount of parameters. I then did a rewrite of the whole thing, and actually used link and unlk instead (why I forgot about those I don't know...). Using memory for parameter passing resulted in cleaner code in this case, so it's a method I've kept using.
Not cooperative AFAIK. And with memory protection :-)
Strangely enough I never had the problem of too many parameters to be put in registers, except for parameters given to printf-like calls, which simply takes them in the stack.
Can you give me an example of a function that would take lots of regs ?
About link/unlk I can't forget them right now, as there are a LOT of them in compiled code :-)

Side note : I think I'll start using ":-)" as smiley, because this 15 image limitation is driving me nuts !

Quote:
I have! The reason for a hardware version if overcoming the chipmem limit. Simply copy some of the chipmem to fastmem, display the image, and afterwards copy the memory back, then restore the system. More times then I care to remember, have I had to close programs to simply show a picture because of running out of chipmem. Or worse, having to reboot. Although rebooting is fast, it's silly if you have to because of wanting to check some pictures In this case, that single advantage outweighs the disadvantages, especially since the program would be intended as a second viewer for cases where chipmem is running low (happens all the time, really).
I didn't think about that. Well, then. A viewer doesn't have to perform any i/o while displaying an image, just preload.
A good idea would be to add this as an option. Furthermore, it can allow to try this neat aga-sliced ham
Strangely I don't often run out of chip memory. Maybe you run some programs which eat too much.

Quote:
Never had a problem with them for some reason
Sure. You don't have a resourced DM game to handle

Quote:
Nope, it's not the patches. I've only replaced MCX with MCP very recently (about a month ago), and I doubt fblit and ftext have anything to do with it, either. The weird behavior happens when booting without a startup-sequnce, as well. Trust me, it's not the patches, so I still recommend you check out the mentioned programs
I checked MCP and it simply refused to work. Ok, I hate installers and tried it by hand

Quote:
Hitting the hardware is not necessarily that dirty. Can't you allocate the audio channels with the os, and then write to the audio regs directly?
That's exactly what I'm doing !

Quote:
I always write long posts such as this one in OpenOfficeWriter. I simply proof-read using the forum's preview function, and by the time I'm done correcting things, I can post the second half of the post.
I use the pre-view a lot, too.

Quote:
Quite a shame, really. Msdos is great for the fact it can be killed.
Oh, you probably don't even have to "kill" it. Just do your hardware-banging stuff and it won't annoy you. Yet this way can probably only work on old machines, as gfx boards don't have any standard specs.

Quote:
Oo is a great extension of structured programming. That's it's primary use to me. And think about, in assembler it's used, as well. A good example would be the linked list system in my sysframe. You have the list header structure, and you have a bunch of routines witch only act on that data structure, while at the same time, those routines are the only ones witch access that structure directly. In the frame, two such lists are made; a memlist and a filelist, so that there are two instances of the linkedlist object. The only difference with oo languages is that you don't define anything as actually being a class, while in essence, it's still object oriented.

Both the structuring capabilities (if not over used) and the fact that it can be common in assembler (!), leads me to believe oo is an essential addition to (at least) any structured language.
What you describe here is not oo and can easily be done without it.

Quote:
Hehe, Chinese abacus Indeed, 68k is rediculous compared to 6502; it's almost a higher language if you compare the two And I know, because I've done a few simple intros on teh c64 in the old days. Haven't tried PPC, though.
68k rIdiculous compared to 6502, you probably meant the opposite

Quote:
Do you have a problem with that? I certainly don't
Me, no. But the forum iself apparently has

Quote:
Hehe, I've looked at that (thank you Wikipedia). Seems simple enough, and it's actually a good idea I never thought about that sort of thing, though, and didn't even knew it existed!
We learn things every day, pal.

Quote:
A human does at the information level. The hardware that processes that information is probably just as clueless as a computer is.
Probably, but even at the information level the computer is still clueless.

Quote:
Of course! But perhaps some things don't necessarily require brute force, while simply being very difficult to comprehend. For these tasks the human could prove to be the limit, where it would take a long time before someone came up with an efficient algorithmic approach.
If conscious thought takes billions of neurons to actually work, then it's probably not just a matter of algorithmics.

Quote:
Maybe not (Sorry )
Maybe not. But if you throw a die, let alone several millions of them at once, even if you know physics you won't predict the result.
Old 07 October 2008, 18:37   #43
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
This char limit thing is getting anoying
Be less talkative next time, eh eh.

Quote:
I don't think the brain could actually handle that many, let alone that quickly; in such a case a big computer would be needed anyway. Don't over estimate brain power. It may prove that all the tasks it performs ultimately aren't that complex at all if looked at from a different perspective.
I didn't say the brain can handle that many, but to simulate it you'll have to do that.
About the tasks it performs, consider the simple fact of a face recognition.
Or what "different perspective" has to be looked at ?

Quote:
That's the case, yes. But the brain is simply a logical information processor, just like a computer is. They simply go about things in a different way, and I think that the tasks the brain performs may be possible in a different way.
Nope. Don't agree. The brain is more than a logical information processor. It handles a quasi-infinite different number of levels per input per neuron, where the computer only has 0 or 1.

Quote:
No, our machines aren't optimal as in perfect. That would be nice, though What I mean with optimal, is that machines are designed, and not evolved. How well can the good old 68000 be optimized without sacrificing a single feature and without adding a single transistor? My guess is not very much. How well can a brain be optimized without sacrificing features or adding neurons? A lot! Humans don't have the biggest brains by a long shot, and yet our brains are the most advanced.

Here's a quote from Wikipedia (Neuroscience and intelligence)

Here is a list of some species, along with their rough average brain sizes:

Homo erectus: 980 cm³
Homo habilis: 750 cm³
Homo floresiensis: 380 cm³
Homo neanderthalensis: 1200-1750 cm³ skull capacity (10% greater than modern human average (when including juvenile cranial capacity)
Homo sapiens:1350-1400 cm³

This list shows there's obvious room for improvement, while at the same time the brain can be made smaller.
That list just shows that Neanderthal might have been more intelligent than we are !

Quote:
Please do
Consider those two pieces of code and tell me which one is the best :
Code:
 add.l var,d1
 add.l var,d2
Code:
 move.l var,d0
 add.l d0,d1
 add.l d0,d2
Quote:
I don't know. Why not upload yourself to a computer, walk around with a robotic body, and live 'forever'
Please stop playing BloodNet at once !

Quote:
Absolutely not
Anyway with a monitor's loudspeakers you won't hear much difference...

Quote:
Yes, I did. And what makes it worse is the high cpu load, which slows down the whole experience. Wav solves this perfectly, and flac may save some storage space while saving cpu time.
Once again I ask : what settings ??? You can tweak a lot with mpegaplayer.
Might depend on what sort of music, too. Hard rock needs less quality than a sweet feminine voice

And for flac, don't expect any cpu time savings. It's usually as costly as mpeg audio.
For waves, ok. If exhausting your HD is no problem. Maybe it's because of that you like prepping them in UAE. Ok now I've understood :-)

Quote:
But I've read on the board that it does this with a patch, meaning you can't cold boot from cd (as far as I know).
You only need to load it from disk if you don't have it installed in chips.
Else how would a CD32 boot ???

Quote:
I've used that for years before I got my current peecee. I just like the WinUAE method more, because it's fast, especially for large amounts of data, such as a few gigs of game packs, and several more gigs of music. Just a personal preference
Bah, I don't prep HD's all the time. For backups CF cards are good to me, they don't need to unplug the HD from the miggy. Not to mention they're sooooo silent :-)

Quote:
I know. But as I said, I reached the end area in the challenge, I didn't defeat the boss, yet.
Oh you didn't say that to me !
This requires a lot of care even with 4 characters ; I did it twice or more.
But you probably killed old Dragoth a few dozens of times too, eh ?

Quote:
For one party member you can save quite some cash. Furthermore, there is quite a lot of cash floating around. Not a problem.
I also end up very rich (not as much as in Captive, okay).
But I would hate to buy dozens of empty flasks just to defeat the boss.

Quote:
As I've said, using only skills from items I've reached the end area, so it is certainly possible. I actually believe the designers made the game so that it's possible.
Tada, I finally found something you didn't know ! :-)

Here are the answers :

1. Just throw over the pit the little bone you've found, to the place the coins lie, and the wolves will fetch it (just don't stand between them and the pit). By the time they'll also take the coins, and, yes, bring them to you !

2. Use a minion map. As long as the minion is on the same cell as you are, you'll never get caught.

Quote:
Sounds good
Certainly. Current dungeon has more than 1400 of them now :-)
Yet I would love getting more feedback from you.

Quote:
Well, good luck again
Well, thanks again

Quote:
Erm, yes
How come ? You got fed up ? Or was it just too hard for you ?

Quote:
Oh no, don't tempt me!
I won't. You'll have to BEG for hints :-)

Quote:
True. I just hope to get enough money soon
Come on, it's not that costly !

Quote:
Wouldn't make me as sad as a dead miggy, but still enough to
Oh yeah ? I still can't understand why some people can be attached to a peecee :-)

Quote:
First: Don't forget my two previous posts, plz
You sure I shouldn't ? Oh, well, yes, ok.

Quote:
I've got a little something for you here:

It's an optimized 24bit to 12bit test viewer, and it's quite fast. Assemble in AsmOne with case sensitivity off. Use with bmp files (stored in ram disk preferably). Try it with a 1280x1024x24 picture, and be sure to check the c2p.

Note: Bmp file name is at the end of the source code.

Updated c2p routine (slightly optimized compared to version in viewer)
Fast, yes. But ugly. (sorry )
Old 17 October 2008, 10:14   #44
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by meynaf View Post
But even with that UAE is totally beaten up by real hardware in multitasking speed on the Amiga side...
Hmm, the only problem I have with WinUAE is the graphics speed, witch is caused by my 'slow' peecee.

Quote:
I too was very surprised when I discovered this. My debugger still doesn't work on 060
That sucks then. Any way to fix it?

Quote:
It's the sort of instruction that you don't use often, I agree, but when you need it you happily use it. Yet I have no proof this won't work on 060 : my "move.l a7,-(a7) / move.l (a7)+,d0 / sub.l a7,d0" test failed on both 040 and 060 ! (you really get 0, not -4)
Odd Do you know what causes it?

Quote:
It makes a lot of sense to automate, because 1) those are just too easily forgotten and 2) they're cumbersome, boring and repetitive code.
So, unless told otherwise, my own frame just aborts with an error message.
But that's not always handy. Not all errors are fatal. Suppose you supply your utility with a list of files to rename. If some of the files don't exist or are moved/deleted before renaming, then the files witch can be renamed will not be renamed. If the error handling is done by hand, the program can simply skip the files witch are not found, and just rename the rest, and tell the user witch files were not renamed.

Another example would be reserving a chipmem buffer and then killing the system. If there isn't enough memory, then handling the error by hand lets you reserve fastmem, kill the system, and copy some chipmem to fastmem. Only if the fastmem reservation fails, it's a fatal error, and the program can exit.

It's true that it sucks to handle the errors by hand, but it creates a greater level of flexibility.

Quote:
Nope. No alternatives found. The only other references that I know of are (not very readable) code.
It's always the same with those formats, isn't it? How difficult is it to properly document a format? Bah

Quote:
Yeah, it's 020+, but it's not hard to simulate with a few 68000 instructions.
I can give you a small macro if you want. Now the callee will correct the SP, not the caller. Say, just rtd #4 in the callee rather than make the caller do an addq.l #4,a7.
Right. I guess I'll have to do some more reading up on my 68020+ knowledge

Quote:
Not cooperative AFAIK. And with memory protection :-)
Strangely enough I never had the problem of too many parameters to be put in registers, except for parameters given to printf-like calls, which simply takes them in the stack.
Can you give me an example of a function that would take lots of regs ?
About link/unlk I can't forget them right now, as there are a LOT of them in compiled code :-)
I can't give you a concrete example, but lets just say that the first version of my kernel became quite messy because of register passing. In such programs it's better to pass the parameters through memory, I think

Quote:
Side note : I think I'll start using ":-)" as smiley, because this 15 image limitation is driving me nuts !
I can understand why, mate

Quote:
I didn't think about that. Well, then. A viewer doesn't have to perform any i/o while displaying an image, just preload.
A good idea would be to add this as an option. Furthermore, it can allow to try this neat aga-sliced ham.
The good old sliced ham, cool Also, scaling can be done during loading for large images, allowing images of nearly any size. I have 2+gig of 24bit bmp Boris Vallejo images, and some are 10+mb (no kidding).

Quote:
Strangely I don't often run out of chip memory. Maybe you run some programs which eat too much.
Yes, I do. Hippo Player can eat up a few hundred kb while playing wavs, and with multiple screens open, the chipmem goes down fast. Copying chip to fast is the only solution for this problem.

Quote:
Sure. You don't have a resourced DM game to handle.
No, I havent. I'm just a player here

Quote:
I checked MCP and it simply refused to work. Ok, I hate installers and tried it by hand
As far as I know all you have to do is add two lines (patchcontrol and then mcp) to your startup-squence. If I were you, I'd download it from aminet again, and try to get it to work. The program really is worth using. If you're using other patches, try removing them

Quote:
That's exactly what I'm doing !
That's the only right way, as far as I know. Shouldn't cause any troubles... in theory....

Quote:
I use the pre-view a lot, too.
Good for correcting formatting 'errors'. Can't post without it

Quote:
Oh, you probably don't even have to "kill" it. Just do your hardware-banging stuff and it won't annoy you. Yet this way can probably only work on old machines, as gfx boards don't have any standard specs.
Yeah, that's true. It's what make peecees suck so much. Love using them, though

Quote:
What you describe here is not oo and can easily be done without it.
I don't agree. This is the very basis of oo. Assembler just doesn't provide any oo directives. Also, consider that oo should be viewed as an extension of structured programming, and not as a different paradigm. Think about it.

Quote:
68k rIdiculous compared to 6502, you probably meant the opposite.
I mean ridiculous as in words such as sick/wicked/bad meaning cool, etc

Quote:
Me, no. But the forum iself apparently has
Just some settings witch have to be taken care of. Hope it's going to get done.

Quote:
We learn things every day, pal.
Indeed. Would be cool to have an emulation of that stuff on the Amiga.

Quote:
Probably, but even at the information level the computer is still clueless.
A compiler can't be compared to the brains software. Yes, software, the brain is soft, right

Quote:
If conscious thought takes billions of neurons to actually work, then it's probably not just a matter of algorithmics.
Just because evolution came up with a way that requires such brute force, doesn't mean it can't be expressed algorithmically. Furthermore, how many neurons does the brain need to calculate something like 1234+5678?
Old 17 October 2008, 10:26   #45
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Maybe not. But if you throw a die, let alone several millions of them at once, even if you know physics you won't predict the result.
Ok, in this case you'd have to know all parameters, making it practically impossible.

Quote:
Be less talkative next time, eh eh.
Yeah, right

Quote:
I didn't say the brain can handle that many, but to simulate it you'll have to do that.
About the tasks it performs, consider the simple fact of a face recognition.
Or what "different perspective" has to be looked at ?
But these are simply problems witch are not well understood, and therefore hard to implement. It doesn't mean it can't be done algorithmically.

Quote:
Nope. Don't agree. The brain is more than a logical information processor. It handles a quasi-infinite different number of levels per input per neuron, where the computer only has 0 or 1.
The brain is thus an analog information processor, while a computer is a discrete one.

Quote:
That list just shows that Neanderthal might have been more intelligent than we are !
Well, elephants have larger brains than humans, and are not capable of real thought, while chimps, witch have a smaller brain than us are capable of real logical thought. In nature, brain size is not everything.

Quote:
Consider those two pieces of code and tell me which one is the best :
Code:
 add.l var,d1
 add.l var,d2
Code:
 move.l var,d0
 add.l d0,d1
 add.l d0,d2
I have no idea what so ever. I've actually written a simple speed test program, but I didn't want to cheat. I'll have a look at it anyway, but if you want to tell me, please do so

Quote:
Please stop playing BloodNet at once !
It's a pitty, but I'm not playing BloodNet at the moment. I really have to get away from those peecee games (now it's Kohan: Battles of Ahriman)

Quote:
Anyway with a monitor's loudspeakers you won't hear much difference...
Monitor speakers Doh meynaf! Go buy a simple multi media speaker set right now, or I'm coming over to France to [CENSORED] Anyway, my miggy is hooked up to my stereo system. You can here every sound quality flaw on these, of course. But seriously, do yourself a big favor, and buy some simple speakers with amp. Just don't buy the simplest ones. They will make a huge difference

Quote:
Once again I ask : what settings ??? You can tweak a lot with mpegaplayer.
Might depend on what sort of music, too. Hard rock needs less quality than a sweet feminine voice
The music I listen to, usually contains heavy synthesizer elements (Trance), and that kind of music needs all the quality you can throw at it. At 24khz/16bit stereo played back in 14bit on Amiga, you can hear that two bits have been chopped off, and you can hear it's 24khz and not 44khz. Not that it sounds bad, but reduce the quality any more and it starts to get annoying, unfortunately.

Quote:
And for flac, don't expect any cpu time savings. It's usually as costly as mpeg audio.
For waves, ok. If exhausting your HD is no problem. Maybe it's because of that you like prepping them in UAE. Ok now I've understood :-)
Indeed. I recently downloaded 650mb of jpeg pictures witch I converted using IrfanView. That resulted in 2+gig of 24bit bmps (now you know where they came from). So I simply popped the hd into the peecee. Yup, those peecees are good for something other than games after all

Quote:
You only need to load it from disk if you don't have it installed in chips.
Else how would a CD32 boot ???
Really? I could've sworn I read on the board that ks3.1 needs a patch to boot from cd...

Quote:
Bah, I don't prep HD's all the time. For backups CF cards are good to me, they don't need to unplug the HD from the miggy. Not to mention they're sooooo silent :-)
Yeah, CF is cool. I actually don't prep'm all the time, either. Would be a good idea to just use CF instead of floppies, actually.

Quote:
Oh you didn't say that to me !
Actually, I think I did in some other thread!

Quote:
This requires a lot of care even with 4 characters ; I did it twice or more.
But you probably killed old Dragoth a few dozens of times too, eh ?
No, I haven't. Only time I've killed him, was the first time I played the game seriously. The whole challenge thing is simply based on the fact that the rest of the game isn't very hard. Try it yourself, and see what I mean.

Quote:
I also end up very rich (not as much as in Captive, okay).
But I would hate to buy dozens of empty flasks just to defeat the boss.
You could just hack the guy to death

Quote:
Tada, I finally found something you didn't know ! :-)
Here are the answers :

1. Just throw over the pit the little bone you've found, to the place the coins lie, and the wolves will fetch it (just don't stand between them and the pit). By the time they'll also take the coins, and, yes, bring them to you !

2. Use a minion map. As long as the minion is on the same cell as you are, you'll never get caught.
Didn't know the second one. The first, I do know, actually. But throwing the bones is not allowed in the challenge, as it's Ninja skill.

Quote:
Certainly. Current dungeon has more than 1400 of them now :-)
Yet I would love getting more feedback from you.
I understand. I'm quite rusty, though, because I haven't been playing Amiga games lately. I'm still busy with peecee games. Terrible, I know, but I've got a whole stack of cool peecee games I haven't really played in a serious manner, but witch I did pay cash for. Not a lot of cash, but still. I'll try to give it priority.

Quote:
Well, thanks again
You're welcome

Quote:
How come ? You got fed up ? Or was it just too hard for you ?
See above.

Quote:
I won't. You'll have to BEG for hints :-)
I won't, mate! I hate spoilers.

Quote:
Come on, it's not that costly !
I'm strapped for cash at the moment. As usual. Living on a low income at the moment...

Quote:
Oh yeah ? I still can't understand why some people can be attached to a peecee :-)
It's the games!

Quote:
You sure I shouldn't ? Oh, well, yes, ok..
Thank you

Quote:
Fast, yes. But ugly. (sorry)
Yes, 12bit is quite ugly. It's just an addition to save some chipmem. 18Bit looks much better. Also, I've finally optimized the c2p to give me 12 frames for 8bit to 6bit c2p (1280x512). If I were you, I'd consider adding the 3x1 pixel method as an option. It's a lot faster than 1x1 ham rendering in even the lowest quality, let alone good quality.
Old 25 October 2008, 13:32   #46
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Hmm, the only problem I have with WinUAE is the graphics speed, witch is caused by my 'slow' peecee.
Don't you find it much less reactive than your miggy ?

Quote:
That sucks then. Any way to fix it?
Not for now, and it's not urgent anyway.

Quote:
Odd Do you know what causes it?
060 was said to pre-decrement destination before reading/writing source, and my test just showed the opposite. Strange, but I can't tell more.

Quote:
But that's not always handy. Not all errors are fatal. Suppose you supply your utility with a list of files to rename. If some of the files don't exist or are moved/deleted before renaming, then the files witch can be renamed will not be renamed. If the error handling is done by hand, the program can simply skip the files witch are not found, and just rename the rest, and tell the user witch files were not renamed.

Another example would be reserving a chipmem buffer and then killing the system. If there isn't enough memory, then handling the error by hand lets you reserve fastmem, kill the system, and copy some chipmem to fastmem. Only if the fastmem reservation fails, it's a fatal error, and the program can exit.

It's true that it sucks to handle the errors by hand, but it creates a greater level of flexibility.
I agree it's not always handy, but it covers more than 90% of cases (in my actual programs).
However, my system allows to catch errors such as failure in renaming or memory allocation. See it as the try...catch of high-level languages.
So I can still handle errors by hand when needed

Quote:
It's always the same with those formats, isn't it? How difficult is it to properly document a format? Bah
Yes, and for MP3, documenting the binary format isn't even enough...

Quote:
Right. I guess I'll have to do some more reading up on my 68020+ knowledge
Maybe ;-)

Quote:
I can't give you a concrete example, but lets just say that the first version of my kernel became quite messy because of register passing. In such programs it's better to pass the parameters through memory, I think
Did your kernel actually work ? Or was it yet another unfinished project ?

Quote:
The good old sliced ham, cool Also, scaling can be done during loading for large images, allowing images of nearly any size. I have 2+gig of 24bit bmp Boris Vallejo images, and some are 10+mb (no kidding).
Scaling during loading ? You'll have to scale to fastmem, because you can't kill the system before you're finished loading.

Quote:
Yes, I do. Hippo Player can eat up a few hundred kb while playing wavs, and with multiple screens open, the chipmem goes down fast. Copying chip to fast is the only solution for this problem.
You use Hippo Player ??? Doh... Play16 is probably better for playing waves, and for the rest, why not DT ?

Quote:
No, I havent. I'm just a player here
I find dungeon designing more funny than actually playing it. And that code is the main reason I didn't use DM2.

Quote:
As far as I know all you have to do is add two lines (patchcontrol and then mcp) to your startup-squence. If I were you, I'd download it from aminet again, and try to get it to work. The program really is worth using. If you're using other patches, try removing them
I don't feel the need of changing my patches. What's so great about it ?

Quote:
That's the only right way, as far as I know. Shouldn't cause any troubles... in theory....
Peter Kunath was forced to do this too for DeliTracker, because of bugs in audio.device.

Quote:
Yeah, that's true. It's what make peecees suck so much. Love using them, though
But if given same tech level as peecees, Amigas would be much more powerful.

Quote:
I don't agree. This is the very basis of oo. Assembler just doesn't provide any oo directives. Also, consider that oo should be viewed as an extension of structured programming, and not as a different paradigm. Think about it.
This is ONE of the bases of oo, but oo is more than that.
It's supposed to be a different paradigm.

Quote:
I mean ridiculous as in words such as sick/wicked/bad meaning cool, etc
Ok then.

Quote:
Just some settings witch have to be taken care of. Hope it's going to get done.
Some settings witch, yeah, old wicked witch

Quote:
Indeed. Would be cool to have an emulation of that stuff on the Amiga.
An emulation ? It requires hardware to actually run, AFAIK even on PC.
But it certainly would be cool to have that hardware on the Amiga.

Quote:
A compiler can't be compared to the brains software. Yes, software, the brain is soft, right
You can consider the brain is both hardware and software if you like. But I don't think it can be software as you know it.

Quote:
Just because evolution came up with a way that requires such brute force, doesn't mean it can't be expressed algorithmically. Furthermore, how many neurons does the brain need to calculate something like 1234+5678?
Nonsense. The brain will always interpret, where the computer will execute. They can't be compared.

How many neurons a computation requires is irrelevant, as it can be very different from people to people.
Old 25 October 2008, 13:37   #47
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Ok, in this case you'd have to know all parameters, making it practically impossible.
Same for the brain simulation.

Quote:
But these are simply problems witch are not well understood, and therefore hard to implement. It doesn't mean it can't be done algorithmically.
It doesn't mean it can be done either.
Btw. it's "which", not "witch"

Quote:
The brain is thus an analog information processor, while a computer is a discrete one.
Yes. Probably.

Quote:
Well, elephants have larger brains than humans, and are not capable of real thought, while chimps, witch have a smaller brain than us are capable of real logical thought. In nature, brain size is not everything.
Did you actually ask elephants if they were able to think or not ? Same for chimps ?

Quote:
I have no idea what so ever. I've actually written a simple speed test program, but I didn't want to cheat. I'll have a look at it anyway, but if you want to tell me, please do so
I will tell you.

If you speed-test, #2 will be quicker on your 030. But #1 is quicker on 040 - not to mention it's less instructions.
There are other examples.

This says that no solution is the absolute best, it's just more adapted to some situations.

Quote:
It's a pitty, but I'm not playing BloodNet at the moment. I really have to get away from those peecee games (now it's Kohan: Battles of Ahriman)
Beware of Hopkins-Brie syndrom anyway

Quote:
Monitor speakers Doh meynaf! Go buy a simple multi media speaker set right now, or I'm coming over to France to [CENSORED] Anyway, my miggy is hooked up to my stereo system. You can here every sound quality flaw on these, of course. But seriously, do yourself a big favor, and buy some simple speakers with amp. Just don't buy the simplest ones. They will make a huge difference
A good old CBM monitor is much better than those - cheap or not - stupid PC multi media speakers !

You certainly hear sound quality flaws, but is that a good thing ? Personnally I do not want to hear them

In the past I tried a good stereo system, with seven-band equalizer I fine tuned for that use. So I know what quality means

Quote:
The music I listen to, usually contains heavy synthesizer elements (Trance), and that kind of music needs all the quality you can throw at it. At 24khz/16bit stereo played back in 14bit on Amiga, you can hear that two bits have been chopped off, and you can hear it's 24khz and not 44khz. Not that it sounds bad, but reduce the quality any more and it starts to get annoying, unfortunately.
From 24 to 22 you won't hear much difference, especially because the original freq is an integer multiple of it (might even be better if down-sampling didn't use a very good algorithm).

Quote:
Indeed. I recently downloaded 650mb of jpeg pictures witch I converted using IrfanView. That resulted in 2+gig of 24bit bmps (now you know where they came from). So I simply popped the hd into the peecee. Yup, those peecees are good for something other than games after all
But why performing this conversion ? Just for display speed ?

Quote:
Really? I could've sworn I read on the board that ks3.1 needs a patch to boot from cd...
If you have ks 3.0 in rom, yes. Or it might depend on the type of cd drive that's plugged in, I dunno. I never needed to boot from cd anyway.

Quote:
Yeah, CF is cool. I actually don't prep'm all the time, either. Would be a good idea to just use CF instead of floppies, actually.
I use CF instead of floppies. Silent, faster, more data on them, more reliable, not to mention my floppy drive is out of order...

Quote:
Actually, I think I did in some other thread!
A thread I didn't read, I suppose.

Quote:
No, I haven't. Only time I've killed him, was the first time I played the game seriously. The whole challenge thing is simply based on the fact that the rest of the game isn't very hard. Try it yourself, and see what I mean.
So you saw him turned into a worm at least once. This called for a sequel but there was none

Quote:
You could just hack the guy to death
That's what I did a few times

Quote:
Didn't know the second one. The first, I do know, actually. But throwing the bones is not allowed in the challenge, as it's Ninja skill.
Is stealing objects from other champions allowed in the challenge ?

Quote:
I understand. I'm quite rusty, though, because I haven't been playing Amiga games lately. I'm still busy with peecee games. Terrible, I know, but I've got a whole stack of cool peecee games I haven't really played in a serious manner, but witch I did pay cash for. Not a lot of cash, but still. I'll try to give it priority.
You paid cash for pc games ???

Quote:
See above.
I see.

Quote:
I won't, mate! I hate spoilers.
Even when you're blocked ?

Quote:
I'm strapped for cash at the moment. As usual. Living on a low income at the moment...
That's a shame.

Quote:
It's the games!
So you like the games, not the pc

Quote:
Yes, 12bit is quite ugly. It's just an addition to save some chipmem. 18Bit looks much better. Also, I've finally optimized the c2p to give me 12 frames for 8bit to 6bit c2p (1280x512). If I were you, I'd consider adding the 3x1 pixel method as an option. It's a lot faster than 1x1 ham rendering in even the lowest quality, let alone good quality.
Quick and ugly renderer is not in the urgent todo list.
Best for me would be pre-loading of next pics while displaying one.
Old 06 November 2008, 08:41   #48
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Don't you find it much less reactive than your miggy ?
Yes, on my old peecee I even need to skip one frame. The emulated cpu is still a lot faster than my miggies, though.

Quote:
Not for now, and it's not urgent anyway.
Without an actual '60 to work on, it would be a pain to fix anyway.

Quote:
060 was said to pre-decrement destination before reading/writing source, and my test just showed the opposite. Strange, but I can't tell more.
Strange indeed.

Quote:
I agree it's not always handy, but it covers more than 90% of cases (in my actual programs).
However, my system allows to catch errors such as failure in renaming or memory allocation. See it as the try...catch of high-level languages.
So I can still handle errors by hand when needed
Cool. How did you implement that? I'll have to take a look to see if that is handy in my own frame.

Quote:
Yes, and for MP3, documenting the binary format isn't even enough...
Why not?

Quote:
Maybe ;-)
Definitely! But I've started to use '20+ instructions now. Simple things like divu.l and mulu.l. My system frame is still fully 68000 compatible, though.

Quote:
Did your kernel actually work ? Or was it yet another unfinished project ?
Although unfinished, it does actually work. You can create processes that run at different priorities, there is some basic memory management, of course, and some basic library handling. Currently the message handling system needs to be implemented. The whole project was started about 10 years ago, and although it could still be finished, I'd rather try to make a c++ replacement and write an os in that. Much more fun, and also much easier said than done. Not going to happen any time soon

Quote:
Scaling during loading ? You'll have to scale to fastmem, because you can't kill the system before you're finished loading.
True, but it's the only way for handling bmp files which are too large to pre-load completely.

Quote:
You use Hippo Player ??? Doh... Play16 is probably better for playing waves, and for the rest, why not DT ?
Play16 doesn't have a gui, and Hippo plays wavs just fine. I guess I can give Delitracker a try.

Quote:
I find dungeon designing more funny than actually playing it. And that code is the main reason I didn't use DM2.
Hmm, I'll have to give dungeon making a try then.

Quote:
I don't feel the need of changing my patches. What's so great about it ?
Read the feature list

Quote:
Peter Kunath was forced to do this too for DeliTracker, because of bugs in audio.device.
Still, doesn't seem to bad. However, if system bugs make people have to hit the hardware, I suppose it is actually bad

Quote:
But if given same tech level as peecees, Amigas would be much more powerful.
Perhaps, although I don't see how they would be very different from peecees.

Quote:
This is ONE of the bases of oo, but oo is more than that.
It's supposed to be a different paradigm.
I know. I just don't see it as a different paradigm, but more like an extension of the structured paradigm.

Quote:
Some settings witch, yeah, old wicked witch
Yeah, yeah. Very funny

Quote:
An emulation ? It requires hardware to actually run, AFAIK even on PC.
But it certainly would be cool to have that hardware on the Amiga.
I don't see why it would need hardware, although I don't think an emulation would be very efficiant.

Quote:
You can consider the brain is both hardware and software if you like. But I don't think it can be software as you know it.
It's not. The mechanics are too different.

Quote:
Nonsense. The brain will always interpret, where the computer will execute. They can't be compared.
But it's just a bunch of firing neurons! How can neurons interpret anything?

Quote:
How many neurons a computation requires is irrelevant, as it can be very different from people to people.
I suppose so.

Quote:
Same for the brain simulation.
In todays world that's quite true.

Quote:
It doesn't mean it can be done either.
That's true. It's currently unknown. It's just that algorithmic solutions are in these cases the unobvious solutions, and these are very interesting to me.

Quote:
Btw. it's "which", not "witch"
I know, I know! Don't know why I was making such mistakes, though

Quote:
Yes. Probably.
Hey, we're agreeing on something here
Old 06 November 2008, 08:46   #49
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Did you actually ask elephants if they were able to think or not ? Same for chimps ?
No, I haven't, but they have been tested for intelligence, and the results suggest that elephants lack the chimps logic capability.

Quote:
I will tell you.

If you speed-test, #2 will be quicker on your 030. But #1 is quicker on 040 - not to mention it's less instructions.
There are other examples.
I've actually read that recently. Something about minimizing the number of instructions on '60s. Pity I don't have one.

Quote:
This says that no solution is the absolute best, it's just more adapted to some situations.
Yes, but does it mean that evolution will always come up with the best adaptations, or just ones that are good enough?

Quote:
Beware of Hopkins-Brie syndrom anyway
I don't think that's going to be a problem

Quote:
A good old CBM monitor is much better than those - cheap or not - stupid PC multi media speakers !
I've recently installed some of those speakers, with sub-woofer, on my moms peecee, and if you're saying that the simple CBM monitor speaker is better than that installed speaker set, then I'm going to

Quote:
You certainly hear sound quality flaws, but is that a good thing ? Personnally I do not want to hear them
Yes, actually. It means that you get to hear more. In other words, if you have very high quality sound files, then those will actually take advantage of your system.

Quote:
In the past I tried a good stereo system, with seven-band equalizer I fine tuned for that use. So I know what quality means
Cool, but why aren't you using it any more? I hope it didn't break

Quote:
From 24 to 22 you won't hear much difference, especially because the original freq is an integer multiple of it (might even be better if down-sampling didn't use a very good algorithm).
But there should be a difference between 24 and 28, right?

Quote:
But why performing this conversion ? Just for display speed ?
Yes, just for that. Using irfanview on my peecee, the whole conversion process was done quite quickly for so many files. Seemed to be worth it. Also, with a large hd, using bmps on the Amiga is more convenient than jpeg, especially if you're loading them into adpro.

Quote:
If you have ks 3.0 in rom, yes. Or it might depend on the type of cd drive that's plugged in, I dunno. I never needed to boot from cd anyway.
I don't know, either. It's not a big problem. It would just be cool to be able to boot cds from cold start.

Quote:
I use CF instead of floppies. Silent, faster, more data on them, more reliable, not to mention my floppy drive is out of order...
That's something I'm going to have to consider using myself, because it sounds good.

Quote:
A thread I didn't read, I suppose.
I'm almost sure I did tell you.

Quote:
So you saw him turned into a worm at least once. This called for a sequel but there was none
I vaguely remember something like that. But it's been a long time since I finished the game, so don't blame me. And a sequal might have been nice.

Quote:
That's what I did a few times
The real mans method

Quote:
Is stealing objects from other champions allowed in the challenge ?
Isn't that only possible because of a bug? Anyway, it doesn't matter. I don't think it will make it easier.

Quote:
You paid cash for pc games ???
Oh yes! Quality games such as Warcraft 2, Starcraft, Diablo 2, and a bunch of others. Those games are worth the money, and weren't actually that expensive when I bought them. Warcraft 2 with expansion for six euros anyone?

Quote:
Even when you're blocked ?
Yes, even then. I always regret reading solutions just because I'm stuck. I really don't like doing it, and have therefore stopped doing it.

Quote:
That's a shame.
It's not too bad. It gets the rent paid, and I certainly don't have to go hungry. That's more then a lot of people have, so it's ok for a while.

Quote:
So you like the games, not the pc
You could put it like that.

Quote:
Quick and ugly renderer is not in the urgent todo list.
Best for me would be pre-loading of next pics while displaying one.
May I suggest that you do implement scaling for larger than screen images? Two advantages: 1. Less chipmem needed to show the image. 2. Faster ham rendering.

Have you considered using 4x1 ham to display 320x256 images? No ham rendering algorithm can beat 4x1 ham for 320x256!
Old 07 November 2008, 12:15   #50
meynaf
son of 68k

I've found a new game. It's... merge the two posts !
Will you be able to continue ?

Quote:
No, I haven't, but they have been tested for intelligence, and the results suggest that elephants lack the chimps logic capability.
Maybe this is simply because they don't need it.

Quote:
I've actually read that recently. Something about minimizing the number of instructions on '60s. Pity I don't have one.
But your 030 fits well in your A1200 and doesn't need a cooling fan.

Quote:
Yes, but does it mean that evolution will always come up with the best adaptations, or just ones that are good enough?
I am not sure it will be the best adaptations, but I think they will be better than what technology can give.
Anyway life evolves and adapts, and for this it can not be surpassed by machines, which are fixed.

Quote:
I don't think that's going to be a problem
I didn't know you had a neural implant

Quote:
I've recently installed some of those speakers, with sub-woofer, on my moms peecee, and if you're saying that the simple CBM monitor speaker is better than that installed speaker set, then I'm going to
Perhaps. But CBM monitor has two speakers and is bigger than your woofer.

BTW I am not the one who uses composite video output

Quote:
Yes, actually. It means that you get to hear more. In other words, if you have very high quality sound files, then those will actually take advantage of your system.
MP3 aren't what I can call high quality sound files, whatever system plays them...

Quote:
Cool, but why aren't you using it any more? I hope it didn't break
It wasn't mine.

Quote:
But there should be a difference between 24 and 28, right?
Depends on what you're playing.

Quote:
Yes, just for that. Using irfanview on my peecee, the whole conversion process was done quite quickly for so many files. Seemed to be worth it. Also, with a large hd, using bmps on the Amiga is more convenient than jpeg, especially if you're loading them into adpro.
And what do you do after loading them in adpro ?

Quote:
I don't know, either. It's not a big problem. It would just be cool to be able to boot cds from cold start.
Provided you have bootable CDs...

Quote:
That's something I'm going to have to consider using myself, because it sounds good.
Then feel free to break your DF0

Quote:
I'm almost sure I did tell you.
If so, please tell me where !

Quote:
I vaguely remember something like that. But it's been a long time since I finished the game, so don't blame me. And a sequal might have been nice.
I would have loved making such a game, but I don't have the gfx. Anyway I have an animation player so that I can see this end sequence without playing :-)

Quote:
The real mans method
Sure, even though I like having a woman in my team

Quote:
Isn't that only possible because of a bug? Anyway, it doesn't matter. I don't think it will make it easier.
Bug abuse, yes. Take the object, then press space.
And beware, as this may crash the game

Quote:
Oh yes! Quality games such as Warcraft 2, Starcraft, Diablo 2, and a bunch of others. Those games are worth the money, and weren't actually that expensive when I bought them. Warcraft 2 with expansion for six euros anyone?
Bah, after all it was your money...

Quote:
Yes, even then. I always regret reading solutions just because I'm stuck. I really don't like doing it, and have therefore stopped doing it.
Sometimes you just can't do otherwise, e.g. on Amberstar.

Quote:
It's not too bad. It gets the rent paid, and I certainly don't have to go hungry. That's more then a lot of people have, so it's ok for a while.
Yes, life doesn't cost much if you have no girlfriend
Having no car helps a lot, too.

Quote:
You could put it like that.
I do.

Quote:
May I suggest that you do implement scaling for larger than screen images? Two advantages: 1. Less chipmem needed to show the image. 2. Faster ham rendering.
It's planned, but I have other things to do as well and I can't be everywhere !

I am actually doing the PNG support. Someone else was supposed to do it, but probably never will. Who was the guy again ? I don't remember

Quote:
Have you considered using 4x1 ham to display 320x256 images? No ham rendering algorithm can beat 4x1 ham for 320x256!
Perhaps this is just using too much chipmem ; I have too few 24bit images that would fit in 320x256 anyway.

Quote:
Yes, on my old peecee I even need to skip one frame. The emulated cpu is still a lot faster than my miggies, though.
For raw computations, yes. But try some interrupt stuff and you'll be deceived.

Quote:
Without an actual '60 to work on, it would be a pain to fix anyway.
Certainly !

Quote:
Cool. How did you implement that? I'll have to take a look to see if that is handy in my own frame.
Remember those old "zcall" macro calls everywhere in my code ? Just add one parameter to them, which is the label to branch to if an error occurs.
Note : still unimplemented on most functions, though, but at least planned.

Quote:
Why not?
It would just leave you with a bunch of cofficients you don't know what to do with.

Quote:
Definitely! But I've started to use '20+ instructions now. Simple things like divu.l and mulu.l. My system frame is still fully 68000 compatible, though.
As strange as might seem, I've just put my first bfextu in a program. I feel weird...

Quote:
Although unfinished, it does actually work. You can create processes that run at different priorities, there is some basic memory management, of course, and some basic library handling. Currently the message handling system needs to be implemented. The whole project was started about 10 years ago, and although it could still be finished, I'd rather try to make a c++ replacement and write an os in that. Much more fun, and also much easier said than done. Not going to happen any time soon
A c++ replacement ? You want to write a slow os ?

Quote:
True, but it's the only way for handling bmp files which are too large to pre-load completely.
They must be VERY large not to fit in 32 MB

Quote:
Play16 doesn't have a gui, and Hippo plays wavs just fine. I guess I can give Delitracker a try.
DT2 is the right choice if you have a lot of mods in exotic formats (this is my case). Is good for MP3 too.

Quote:
Hmm, I'll have to give dungeon making a try then.
Yes, good idea.

Quote:
Read the feature list
I already did. 'Found nothing so great in it...

Quote:
Still, doesn't seem to bad. However, if system bugs make people have to hit the hardware, I suppose it is actually bad
But our OS allows to do so in a neat manner. Most others don't !

Quote:
Perhaps, although I don't see how they would be very different from peecees.
Get an old 386 and compare with your 030. Now extrapolate...

Quote:
I know. I just don't see it as a different paradigm, but more like an extension of the structured paradigm.
For me this just messes things up a little bit more.

Quote:
Yeah, yeah. Very funny
This was just too easy

Quote:
I don't see why it would need hardware, although I don't think an emulation would be very efficiant.
Maybe it can be simulated, but I can't imagine how inefficient that would be !

Quote:
It's not. The mechanics are too different.
Damn. We seem to agree on a few things after all

Quote:
But it's just a bunch of firing neurons! How can neurons interpret anything?
That we do not know.

Quote:
In todays world that's quite true.
May remain true for much longer, as Moore's law has reached its end.

Quote:
That's true. It's currently unknown. It's just that algorithmic solutions are in these cases the unobvious solutions, and these are very interesting to me.
You want to be replaced by a machine one day ?

Quote:
I know, I know! Don't know why I was making such mistakes, though
And, of course, I didn't miss them

Quote:
Hey, we're agreeing on something here
There must be a mistake then
Old 14 November 2008, 10:03   #51
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
I've found a new game. It's... merge the two posts !
Will you be able to continue ?
I'll try

Quote:
Maybe this is simply because they don't need it.
That's not the point. The point is their brains are bigger than ours, while they're not even smarter then chimps.

Quote:
But your 030 fits well in your A1200 and doesn't need a cooling fan.
Hmm, I thought the '60 didn't need a fan?

Quote:
I am not sure it will be the best adaptations, but I think they will be better than what technology can give.
Anyway life evolves and adapts, and for this it can not be surpassed by machines, which are fixed.
Machines are not fixed, they're designed by humans . Life's pace of improving is so slow that technology surely can't always be behind.

Quote:
I didn't know you had a neural implant.
Now you've lost me. Remember, I haven't played BloodNet.

Quote:
Perhaps. But CBM monitor has two speakers and is bigger than your woofer.
Still, the speaker set I've installed at my moms place sounds better than a 1084s monitor. To me, monitors always sound dreadful for some reason.

Quote:
BTW I am not the one who uses composite video output.
I've got no choice at the moment

Quote:
MP3 aren't what I can call high quality sound files, whatever system plays them...
The files obtained from a CD are usually quite good, and they stay good when you encode them to 320kb mp3 files. But not using lossy compression is always better, of course.

Quote:
It wasn't mine.
That sucks then

Quote:
Depends on what you're playing.
For the music I usually play it probably will.

Quote:
And what do you do after loading them in adpro ?
I make IFFs out of them. Now they'll load fast, be in high quality and they don't need to be scaled.

Quote:
Provided you have bootable CDs...
I would make one. Something like a rescue disk.

Quote:
Then feel free to break your DF0.
I might

Quote:
If so, please tell me where !
I think it was in one of your old threads. I can look it up, but do you really want to know?

Quote:
I would have loved making such a game, but I don't have the gfx. Anyway I have an animation player so that I can see this end sequence without playing :-)
I've seen that program, too, I'm sure of it. If you're looking for DM/CSB/DM2 graphics, they can be obtained.

Quote:
Sure, even though I like having a woman in my team.
My team is the one man team

Quote:
Bug abuse, yes. Take the object, then press space.
And beware, as this may crash the game.
I'm certainly not going to use/try this

Quote:
Bah, after all it was your money...
Why bah? Do you hate peecees that much?

Quote:
Sometimes you just can't do otherwise, e.g. on Amberstar.
Yeah, or Riven. Boy was I stuck there. I still regretted looking up parts of the solution.

Quote:
Yes, life doesn't cost much if you have no girlfriend
Having no car helps a lot, too.
Indeed

Quote:
I am actually doing the PNG support. Someone else was supposed to do it, but probably never will. Who was the guy again ? I don't remember.
Sorry for taking forever I was actually still going to do it. I'm just having trouble with making a good Huffmann decoder, that's all. To me there's no point in making one if it's going to be slower/as fast as existing ones. Anyway, if you haven't started on the PNG decoding yet, and are still busy doing Huffmann decoding, then I do have a PNG decoder part for you.

Quote:
Perhaps this is just using too much chipmem ; I have too few 24bit images that would fit in 320x256 anyway.
Me neither. It's just for completeness.

Quote:
For raw computations, yes. But try some interrupt stuff and you'll be deceived.
I'll try. I've got some code that I can use for that.

Quote:
Remember those old "zcall" macro calls everywhere in my code ? Just add one parameter to them, which is the label to branch to if an error occurs.
Note : still unimplemented on most functions, though, but at least planned.
In my frame it's now implemented like this:
Code:
bra.err	macro
	cmp.l	#-1,-68(a5)
	beq	\1
	endm

call	macro
	bsr	\1
	bra.err	exit
	endm

catch	macro
	bsr	\1
	bra.err	\2
	endm
Quote:
It would just leave you with a bunch of cofficients you don't know what to do with.
Then I guess they should explain exactly how it works, instead of making those sloppy docs about it.

Quote:
As strange as might seem, I've just put my first bfextu in a program. I feel weird...
Cool

Quote:
A c++ replacement ? You want to write a slow os ?
No, I don't. Is slowness always a compilers fault? Are peecee programs today bloated just because of compilers? No. It's usually the human who gets it wrong. And just improving the way coding is done would already make a huge difference.

Quote:
They must be VERY large not to fit in 32 MB.
Not everyone has 32mb or more

Quote:
DT2 is the right choice if you have a lot of mods in exotic formats (this is my case). Is good for MP3 too.
Exotic formats, eh? I'll download it right away

Quote:
I already did. 'Found nothing so great in it...
So, what patches are you using then?

Quote:
But our OS allows to do so in a neat manner. Most others don't !
Absolutely right, mate

Quote:
Get an old 386 and compare with your 030. Now extrapolate...
Yes, but that doesn't mean a modern Amiga would be that much more powerful then a peecee.

Quote:
For me this just messes things up a little bit more.
How so?

Quote:
Maybe it can be simulated, but I can't imagine how inefficient that would be !
Still good enough for learning how to use such a system without needing any extra hardware.

Quote:
May remain true for much longer, as Moore's law has reached its end.
Unless those tera herz transistors become usable.

Quote:
You want to be replaced by a machine one day ?
No, I want to enter a machine one day

Last edited by Thorham; 14 November 2008 at 13:53.
Old 17 November 2008, 08:50   #52
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
That's not the point. The point is their brains are bigger than ours, while they're not even smarter then chimps.
Maybe they're not smart, ok. And so ? Is being smart a necessity in life ? What is being smart anyway ?

Quote:
Hmm, I thought the '60 didn't need a fan?
I think some 060 need it, while others don't. But anyway it doesn't correctly fit in the A1200 (too high).

Quote:
Machines are not fixed, they're designed by humans . Life's pace of improving is so slow that technology surely can't always be behind.
What I was saying is that machines don't evolve by themselves.
Moreover, life's pace of improvement isn't that slow. It can adapt quite quickly : see the viruses which become resistant to antibiotics, see the incredible wild life that appeared at Tchernobyl (they've never seen boars so big !).

Quote:
Now you've lost me. Remember, I haven't played BloodNet.
Well, ok. Never mind ;-)

Quote:
Still, the speaker set I've installed at my moms place sounds better than a 1084s monitor. To me, monitors always sound dreadful for some reason.
I'm not sure 1084 monitors have stereo sound. Anyway my 1083S is good enough for me.
What did you compare to actually prove which one sounds better ? If it's not the same music with the same replay freq (and maybe the same machine) then it's not fair !

Quote:
I've got no choice at the moment
Isn't that moment starting to be a little bit long ?

Quote:
The files obtained from a CD are usually quite good, and they stay good when you encode them to 320kb mp3 files. But not using lossy compression is always better, of course.
Quite good, but not high quality. CDs aren't perfect either.
However when I play an MP3 on my miggy I usually can't tell if that's the mp3 or a pre-decoded wave.

Quote:
That sucks then
And it was long ago. Doesn't miss me a lot anyway.

Quote:
For the music I usually play it probably will.
For trance ? I don't think so. Synthesizer doesn't need that much quality.

BTW did you calibrate your 14 bit output ? If yes, did you change your HippoPlayer settings after that ? Did you actually hear the difference ?

Quote:
I make IFFs out of them. Now they'll load fast, be in high quality and they don't need to be scaled.
So you don't need a particular viewer then. And can't adpro directly load jpegs ?

Quote:
I would make one. Something like a rescue disk.
You don't need a CD for that. Or it will be 99% empty

Quote:
I might

Quote:
I think it was in one of your old threads. I can look it up, but do you really want to know?
Yes, I really want to know if my memory is able to eat such an information () or if you indeed didn't tell that to me.

Quote:
I've seen that program, too, I'm sure of it. If you're looking for DM/CSB/DM2 graphics, they can be obtained.
I've seen no program which does that, just tricks to see the end sequence by renaming files.
About the program I use, I made it and didn't release so you certainly can't have seen it ;-)

DM/CSB/DM2 graphics are easy for me to get, perhaps I could do something with them, but I'd prefer new graphics.

Quote:
My team is the one man team
But, mate, I can't live without my dear Het !

Quote:
I'm certainly not going to use/try this
I've read that if you press space twice you can actually duplicate a character. Also, some DM versions (e.g. v3.6) allow you to go through walls under some conditions. But you don't want to try this, ok

Quote:
Why bah? Do you hate peecees that much?
You already know the answer to that ;-)
But I just meant you don't need to pay to get flooded by lots of games you have no time to play.

Quote:
Yeah, or Riven. Boy was I stuck there. I still regretted looking up parts of the solution.
Strangely I didn't regret looking in a solution. Especially when I discovered I would never have been able to find the clue myself !
For Amberstar it's even worse, because a bug inverted two riddle answers...

Quote:
Sorry for taking forever I was actually still going to do it. I'm just having trouble with making a good Huffmann decoder, that's all. To me there's no point in making one if it's going to be slower/as fast as existing ones.
I started from JPEG's decoder code, but I have to admit that vPNG is bloody fast...

Quote:
Anyway, if you haven't started on the PNG decoding yet, and are still busy doing Huffmann decoding, then I do have a PNG decoder part for you.
Ahem... Huffman decoding is done. Not that complex after all. If you're speaking about Paeth stuff and so, I have done it already too.
However, PNGs encoded with all possible settings would be handy, e.g. 16-bit sampled ones, grayscale, progressive, alpha channel, and nasty combinations of these.

Quote:
Me neither. It's just for completeness.
Sorry, completeness isn't in the todo list

Quote:
I'll try. I've got some code that I can use for that.
Yes, please try. Coding a lot on peecees will make you understand a few things about them.

Quote:
In my frame it's now implemented like this:
May be dangerous if A5 gets trashed !
And I wonder what the "exit" label points to. When an error occurs you still need to display some message explaining it, not just exiting ?

Quote:
Then I guess they should explain exactly how it works, instead of making those sloppy docs about it.
Yes. But if they explain and you haven't enough math knowledge to fully understand, it's the same as if they didn't explain.

Quote:
Cool
And guess where it has been put ? Right in the png's bit reader !

Quote:
No, I don't. Is slowness always a compilers fault? Are peecee programs today bloated just because of compilers? No. It's usually the human who gets it wrong. And just improving the way coding is done would already make a huge difference.
Still, c++ will be 2-4 times slower than asm, not because of the compiler (which does what it can), but because of its mere architecture.
Program are bloated for various reasons. One may be the limits of the programming language.

Quote:
Not everyone has 32mb or more
Maybe, but fastmem isn't a real problem (for a viewer) even if you're short of it. Chipmem is.

Quote:
Exotic formats, eh? I'll download it right away
There are also lots of extensions for it (e.g. more supported formats), that you may wish to look at.

Quote:
So, what patches are you using then?
MultiCX (small, easy to start/stop - and no mui for config !).
Also, SetPatch 40.14, and... err... a little rom patch I wrote myself ;-)

Quote:
Yes, but that doesn't mean a modern Amiga would be that much more powerful then a peecee.
Much more powerful, maybe not. But certainly much more user-friendly, easier to configure and reliable. Without suppleness, strength is nothing.

Quote:
How so?
Because object-oriented code isn't maintainable. If you've ever worked as a professionnal programmer needing to add something in a hurry (as I did), then you'll see what I mean.

Quote:
Still good enough for learning how to use such a system without needing any extra hardware.
Right.

Quote:
Unless those tera herz transistors become usable.
There are limits anyway. Perhaps you should know that you can't give an important information to a single particle, which is subject to disintegrate without warning. Speed of light can be a problem, too...
For now it seems to be the frequency of lasers used to carve the circuitry.

Quote:
No, I want to enter a machine one day
Wanna merge into a machine ? Right. Let me know when you'll do it ; I'll come to hack/reprogram you
Old 24 November 2008, 13:17   #53
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Maybe they're not smart, ok. And so ? Is being smart a necessity in life ? What is being smart anyway ?
The point was optimization, and how brain size isn't directly linked to inteligence, showing evolution doesn't just produce optimal results all the time, thus there being room for improvement.
Quote:
I think some 060 need it, while others don't. But anyway it doesn't correctly fit in the A1200 (too high).
It doesn't fit right? I've seen those Blizzard 1260s and they look like they fit.
Quote:
What I was saying is that machines don't evolve by themselves.
Moreover, life's pace of improvement isn't that slow. It can adapt quite quickly : see the viruses which become resistant to antibiotics, see the incredible wild life that appeared at Tchernobyl (they've never seen boars so big !).
Yes, but where is it going? This sort of thing can go on and on without actually going anywhere interesting.
Quote:
I'm not sure 1084 monitors have stereo sound. Anyway my 1083S is good enough for me.
Isn't the 1084s supposed to be the stereo version?
Quote:
What did you compare to actually prove which one sounds better ? If it's not the same music with the same replay freq (and maybe the same machine) then it's not fair !
I didn't compare directly. It's just from memory
Quote:
Isn't that moment starting to be a little bit long ?
A bloody week would've been too long
Quote:
Quite good, but not high quality. CDs aren't perfect either.
However when I play an MP3 on my miggy I usually can't tell if that's the mp3 or a pre-decoded wave.
CDs could be better if they just increased sampling rate and nr of bits per sample. But the space on a CD is limited. I've also heard they filter the music that goes on CDs on purpose About mp3 decoding; it uses up to much cpu time to use it while doing other things.
Quote:
And it was long ago. Doesn't miss me a lot anyway.
I would certainly miss it. Music sounds richer from a stereo system.
Quote:
For trance? I don't think so. Synthesizer doesn't need that much quality.
Still, I like to keep music sounding as clean as possible.
Quote:
BTW did you calibrate your 14 bit output ? If yes, did you change your HippoPlayer settings after that ? Did you actually hear the difference ?
Yes, I did. Didn't notice much of an improvement, though.
Quote:
So you don't need a particular viewer then. And can't adpro directly load jpegs ?
Adpro is too slow, especially for jpegs That little viewer I'm working on is very fast for bmps, and since I have 2+ gigs of them, speed is important. When I find a nice image, I use Adpro for producing a high quality iff from the image.
Quote:
You don't need a CD for that. Or it will be 99% empty
You can have a whole working system on a CD. Booting from one beats floppies. The cf card route is probably the best way to go, though.
Quote:
Yes, I really want to know if my memory is able to eat such an information () or if you indeed didn't tell that to me.
Perhaps I didn't I'll have a look anyway.
Quote:
I've seen no program which does that, just tricks to see the end sequence by renaming files.
About the program I use, I made it and didn't release so you certainly can't have seen it ;-)
I remember there being a way to play the animation, I just can't remember what is was.
Quote:
DM/CSB/DM2 graphics are easy for me to get, perhaps I could do something with them, but I'd prefer new graphics.
New graphics are always better. So, how are your drawing skills?
Quote:
But, mate, I can't live without my dear Het !
What's so cool about her?
Quote:
I've read that if you press space twice you can actually duplicate a character. Also, some DM versions (e.g. v3.6) allow you to go through walls under some conditions. But you don't want to try this, ok
Most certainly not.
Quote:
You already know the answer to that ;-)
But I just meant you don't need to pay to get flooded by lots of games you have no time to play.
They're just games I've bought over the years since I got my peecee.
Quote:
Strangely I didn't regret looking in a solution. Especially when I discovered I would never have been able to find the clue myself !
For Amberstar it's even worse, because a bug inverted two riddle answers...
I can see how that would require a solution.
Quote:
Ahem... Huffman decoding is done. Not that complex after all. If you're speaking about Paeth stuff and so, I have done it already too.
However, PNGs encoded with all possible settings would be handy, e.g. 16-bit sampled ones, grayscale, progressive, alpha channel, and nasty combinations of these.
Hey, I was still going to do it. I had a lot of trouble figuring out a very fast method though, and have been putting it off. However, I have been working on the PNG part, which is actually almost finished. The thing it needs most right now is testing. You should have asked me about this, because my PNG code does the things you would like to see.
Quote:
Yes, please try. Coding a lot on peecees will make you understand a few things about them.
Must admit I haven't programmed peecees a lot.
Quote:
May be dangerous if A5 gets trashed !
And I wonder what the "exit" label points to. When an error occurs you still need to display some message explaining it, not just exiting ?
A5 trashing wouldn't be good, no. Currently, no messages are displayed, because I'm working from within AsmOne. All the routines in the frame currently always return the same error values, for messages, that would have to change.
Quote:
Yes. But if they explain and you haven't enough math knowledge to fully understand, it's the same as if they didn't explain.
How hard can that math business be anyway? It's probably just the notation.
Quote:
And guess where it has been put ? Right in the png's bit reader !
Thought so
Quote:
Still, c++ will be 2-4 times slower than asm, not because of the compiler (which does what it can), but because of its mere architecture.
Program are bloated for various reasons. One may be the limits of the programming language.
Not a very well designed language, if it causes bloat.
Quote:
Maybe, but fastmem isn't a real problem (for a viewer) even if you're short of it. Chipmem is.
Isn't it always
Quote:
There are also lots of extensions for it (e.g. more supported formats), that you may wish to look at.
Sounds good
Quote:
MultiCX (small, easy to start/stop - and no mui for config !).
Also, SetPatch 40.14, and... err... a little rom patch I wrote myself ;-)
You're telling me about MCX? Used to use that program until I switched to MCP And what's wrong with mui?
Quote:
Because object-oriented code isn't maintainable. If you've ever worked as a professionnal programmer needing to add something in a hurry (as I did), then you'll see what I mean.
When programming, in a hurry shouldn't exist. It's such a shame that they screw up these simple things in professional environments. Maintainable? What's maintainable? A one million line source code? People still have to learn the meaning of the word.
Quote:
There are limits anyway. Perhaps you should know that you can't give an important information to a single particle, which is subject to disintegrate without warning. Speed of light can be a problem, too...
For now it seems to be the frequency of lasers used to carve the circuitry.
But who knows how much the circuitry itself can bee improved. Also, what's going to be invented in the next 50 years? No one knows.

Last edited by Thorham; 24 November 2008 at 21:46. Reason: typo
Old 27 November 2008, 08:42   #54
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
The point was optimization, and how brain size isn't directly linked to inteligence, showing evolution doesn't just produce optimal results all the time, thus there being room for improvement.
But perhaps intelligence isn't a goal of life, and evolution sometimes simply doesn't need it. If so, it won't come.

Quote:
It doesn't fit right? I've seen those Blizzard 1260s and they look like they fit.
In original, unmodified A1200 case ?

Quote:
Yes, but where is it going? This sort of thing can go on and on without actually going anywhere interesting.
Interesting for whom ? And should it be going anywhere at all ?

Quote:
Isn't the 1084s supposed to be the stereo version?
If it's really 1084S, yes, but not if it's just 1084. On the other hand, maybe it's just not as good as a 1083.

Quote:
I didn't compare directly. It's just from memory
If that's old memory...

Quote:
A bloody week would've been too long
So when is that going to change ?

Quote:
CDs could be better if they just increased sampling rate and nr of bits per sample. But the space on a CD is limited. I've also heard they filter the music that goes on CDs on purpose
I've read they interpolate what can not be read. Or maybe filtering is mandatory : even if you can't hear the unavoidable 44100 hz buzz, you would hear its harmonics.

Quote:
About mp3 decoding; it uses up to much cpu time to use it while doing other things.
If you do it while you type text, then it's enough
Also, perhaps you can benefit of putting that jumper back for 60ns timing...

Quote:
I would certainly miss it. Music sounds richer from a stereo system.
And sometimes it just sounds bad because it wasn't made for it (can be the case with soundtracker music).

Quote:
Still, I like to keep music sounding as clean as possible.
Ahem... now I wonder who suggested me to just drop that mpeg audio frequency anti-alias filter

Quote:
Yes, I did. Didn't notice much of an improvement, though.
You simply can't hear the difference between 14 and 16 bits and not notice a major change after the 14 bit calibration, I even heard it on my second machine, which is plugged to an old Atari SC1435 monitor !
This could be HippoPlayer. Please try Play16, and tell me if you hear a difference. Also, please post its output here (configure its icon tooltypes to have VERBOSITY=1 or add verbosity 1 to its command line).

Quote:
Adpro is too slow, especially for jpegs That little viewer I'm working on is very fast for bmps, and since I have 2+ gigs of them, speed is important. When I find a nice image, I use Adpro for producing a high quality iff from the image.
Well, I guess it's your way. But it can't be mine, as I have 1.9 (formerly 2+) gigs of jpegs...

Quote:
You can have a whole working system on a CD. Booting from one beats floppies. The cf card route is probably the best way to go, though.
You can have a whole working system on a floppy too. You have an Amiga, remember. It's not a pc.
The cf card is only useful for backups.
But I never needed to boot on anything but my HD for now. If one partition is out of order (never happened), then another also contains the relevant tools.

Quote:
Perhaps I didn't I'll have a look anyway.
Yes, please.

Quote:
I remember there being a way to play the animation, I just can't remember what is was.
Then it was that. Just rename the ENDA.DAT file into TITL.DAT, and you will see the end.
Note that my player also handles CSB's intro/end (same anim format).

Quote:
New graphics are always better. So, how are your drawing skills?
My drawing skills are very poor. New graphics would also allow to do things that weren't in the original game. Like, say, going outside and take a boat to go to another land ?

Quote:
What's so cool about her?
Very good magic caster, and good-looking too

Quote:
They're just games I've bought over the years since I got my peecee.
And you didn't play them right after you bought them ?

Quote:
I can see how that would require a solution.
Sure. The man who did it had to phone to the game's authors in Germany !

Quote:
Hey, I was still going to do it. I had a lot of trouble figuring out a very fast method though, and have been putting it off. However, I have been working on the PNG part, which is actually almost finished. The thing it needs most right now is testing. You should have asked me about this, because my PNG code does the things you would like to see.
I'm sorry, but after 6 months of "I'm going to do it", a day comes when I want to do things myself (took me 4 days or so).
Anyway almost everything is already present in my PNG decoder, but I do not want to release untested code.

Quote:
Must admit I haven't programmed peecees a lot.
Apart from the peecees, I programmed a lot of things ranging from cell phone (Symbian) to big computer occupying a whole building's level (IBM C370), and the more I did, the more I loved my Miggy.

Quote:
A5 trashing wouldn't be good, no. Currently, no messages are displayed, because I'm working from within AsmOne. All the routines in the frame currently always return the same error values, for messages, that would have to change.
For me this is done... even though the messages are in french

Quote:
How hard can that math business be anyway? It's probably just the notation.
Well, if you can tell me what's the difference between Fourier transform and Discrete Cosine Transform...
But you may also grab ISO 11172-3 and tell me what you think of it.

Quote:
Thought so
But you're still welcome to find something that does the same as bfextu d3{d2:d5},d1 in less than 10 clock cycles. (d3 stream data, d2 bits available, d5 bits required, d1 result)

Quote:
Not a very well designed language, if it causes bloat.
Any language but asm will give you (variable amout of) bloat. This won't be seen for small functions if you have a good compiler, but for whole programs it makes a lot of difference.
C++ will be slower than C if you use OO features, and C is among the fastest languages - even though there might be lots of things to say about its not-so-readable syntax...

Quote:
Isn't it always
Not always, at least for me. Of course badly written programs eat more of it than they should

Quote:
Sounds good
Yes, and what's even better is that if you find an unsupported format, you can write your own player module for it ! (I did a few)
I also suggest you grab the fantastic 14-bit Noteplayer from Chris Hodges.

Quote:
You're telling me about MCX? Used to use that program until I switched to MCP And what's wrong with mui?
Yes, I'm telling about MCX. But not the last versions, which aren't as good as the 2.57 I'm using.
And you dare to ask what's wrong with that bloatware called mui ???

Quote:
When programming, in a hurry shouldn't exist. It's such a shame that they screw up these simple things in professional environments. Maintainable? What's maintainable? A one million line source code? People still have to learn the meaning of the word.
When you code as a professionnal, you're always in a hurry because of the business model. What's sold to customers is a solution that must cost as little as possible for them to accept buying, and reducing costs is reducing time.
Now you end up with ugly, buggy code. But you still have your customer.
About being maintainable, some languages are more readable than others, and right comments at right places improve it. Of course it won't be perfect, but even a one million lines source code can be very readable if correctly split into modules, and modular approach, even though an OO concept, is better done IMO without OO.

Quote:
But who knows how much the circuitry itself can bee improved. Also, what's going to be invented in the next 50 years? No one knows.
Who knows ? I think Intel engineers know a lot about that and I wouldn't want to be at their place.
Also, what'll be invented will certainly not be what we imagine now. Still, I'm ready to bet we won't see quantum computers replacing our desktops even in 50 years from now. But that's just my opinion, of course ;-)
Old 27 November 2008, 12:24   #55
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Interesting for whom ? And should it be going anywhere at all ?
Quote:
But perhaps intelligence isn't a goal of life, and evolution sometimes simply doesn't need it.
No, it's not. Life's goal seems to be just to keep spreading. A simple cycle of life, procreation and death. From a human viewpoint, this isn't very interesting.
Quote:
In an unmodified A1200 case?
As far as I know, but that's just from old magazine reviews, and as I've never had one, I might be wrong.
Quote:
If it's really 1084S, yes, but not if it's just 1084. On the other hand, maybe it's just not as good as a 1083.
I've had both. From memory, they sound about the same.
Quote:
If that's old memory...
Yes, it is.
Quote:
So when is it going to change?
When I have the money, and I have to find a good solution, too. May take a while unfortunately
Quote:
I've read they interpolate what can't be read. Or maybe filtering is mandatory: even if you can't hear the unavoidable 44100 hz buzz, you would hear its harmonics.
From what I've heard, they filter frequencies lower than 50 hertz away. Guess there's always going to be something to complain about in the digital audio department.
Quote:
If you do it while you type text, then it's enough.
Also, perhaps you can benefit of putting that jumper back for 60ns timing.
I don't just type text, I work with some other apps as well. That jumper was broken, and I've simply hardwired the jumper connection, so it's back to 60ns again.
Quote:
And sometimes it just sounds bad because it wasn't made for it (can be the case with soundtracker music).
Never had a problem with that. Tracked music with good eight bit samples actually sounds quite good on my system.
Quote:
Ahem. now I wonder who suggested me to just drop that mpeg audio frequency anti-alias filter.
Hehe, I did, didn't I
Quote:
You simply can't hear the difference between 14 and 16 bits and not notice a major change after the 14 bit calibration, I even heard it on my second machine, which is plugged to an old Atari SC1435 monitor!
This could be HippoPlayer. Please try Play16, and tell me if you hear a difference. Also, please post its output here.
Yes, it could well be HippoPlayer. This needs testing. I've downloaded Play16 and will try it.
Quote:
Well, I guess it's your way. But it can't be mine, as I have 1.9 (formerly 2+) gigs of jpegs...
Now that's a lot of jpegs. I can see how you're not interested in my method
Quote:
You can have a whole working system on a floppy too.
The cf card is only useful for backups.
But I never needed to boot on anything but my HD for now. If one partition is out of order, then another also contains the relevant tools.
Yes, but on a cd, you can also have the backups, which seems convenient to me.
Quote:
Yes, please.
I did, and guess what? I couldn't find it! I'm starting to think it's a false memory Anyway, until I remembered that I didn't complete the game in the challenge, I thought I did! Man, I think I used to drink too much beer
Quote:
Then it was that. Just rename the ENDA.DAT file into TITL.DAT, and you will see the end.
Note that my player also handles CSB's intro/end (same anim format).
Yes, that might be it.
Quote:
My drawing skills are very poor. New graphics would also allow to do things that weren't in the original game. Like, say, going outside and take a boat to go to another land ?
That's a shame. I used to get reasonable grades in mandatory art class in high school, but I'm only really capable of copying objects with a pencil. Editing bitmap graphics is something I can do, too, but drawing good game graphics is something I've never tried. Being able to travel around like in Ultima, would be quite cool, and would unfortunately need new graphics. Pity really.
Quote:
Very good magic caster, and good-looking too.
Can't you swap her with Torham somehow?
Quote:
And you didn't play them right after you bought them ?
Not all of them. They're good games, which is why I bought them. When I'm fed up with a game, I simply move on to the next one
Quote:
Sure. The man who did it had to phone to the game's authors in Germany !
Now that
Quote:
I'm sorry, but after 6 months of "I'm going to do it", a day comes when I want to do things myself (took me 4 days or so).
Anyway almost everything is already present in my PNG decoder, but I do not want to release untested code.
I'm very sorry for putting it off for so long However, the PNG decoding part only needs testing with the various image formats, and because that code is quite simple, that would've been easy enough. The point is, it could've saved you some time and effort not having to write that part yourself.
Quote:
Apart from the peecees, I programmed a lot of things ranging from cell phone (Symbian) to big computer occupying a whole building's level (IBM C370), and the more I did, the more I loved my Miggy.
Wow, does everything suck that badly?
Quote:
For me this is done... even though the messages are in french
Good idea, and very easy to implement in my frame. It's just that AsmOne makes such functions a little bit useless, unless I would just open my own output window, that is.
Quote:
Well, if you can tell me what's the difference between Fourier transform and Discrete Cosine Transform...
But you may also grab ISO 11172-3 and tell me what you think of it.
No, I can't. But once you know math notation well enough, how hard could it be? As for the ISO spec, I'll look at it, but it probably won't do any good with my current knowledge.
Quote:
But you're still welcome to find something that does the same as bfextu d3{d2:d5},d1 in less than 10 clock cycles. (d3 stream data, d2 bits available, d5 bits required, d1 result)
I'll have to look that instruction up. I still think it's possible to do it faster by using a table, so you can decode multiple smaller symbols at the same time.
Quote:
Any language but asm will give you (variable amout of) bloat. This won't be seen for small functions if you have a good compiler, but for whole programs it makes a lot of difference.
C++ will be slower than C if you use OO features, and C is among the fastest languages - even though there might be lots of things to say about its not-so-readable syntax...
Yes, but the problem with asm is that it's not very portable. Sure, high level function written in asm can be translated to another cpu, but you'll end up with crappy code, of course. That's why I want a c++ replacement if I would ever try to write my own os again. Besides, 68k is the only cpu I would actually want to do that in asm anyway, so a compiler is needed.
Quote:
Not always, at least for me. Of course badly written programs eat more of it than they should.
My viewer only uses too much chipmem, because I haven't written a fully functional screen open routine yet. It only handles full screen at the moment. It just hasn't been a priority for me yet.
Quote:
Yes, and what's even better is that if you find an unsupported format, you can write your own player module for it ! (I did a few)
I also suggest you grab the fantastic 14-bit Noteplayer from Chris Hodges.
Ah, yes, I will certainly do that. How's Delitracker's wav playback?
Quote:
Yes, I'm telling about MCX. But not the last versions, which aren't as good as the 2.57 I'm using.
And you dare to ask what's wrong with that bloatware called mui ???
The reason I use MCP now, is that it does what I needed from MCX and more, like making the gui look better and taking care of all the assigns. Very handy. And about mui, yes it's bloated, but it works well enough for me, even though I don't like it that much.
Quote:
When you code as a professionnal, you're always in a hurry because of the business model. What's sold to customers is a solution that must cost as little as possible for them to accept buying, and reducing costs is reducing time.

About being maintainable, some languages are more readable than others, and right comments at right places improve it. Of course it won't be perfect, but even a one million lines source code can be very readable if correctly split into modules, and modular approach, even though an OO concept, is better done IMO without OO.
That's what I what I thought. Those silly customors are demanding too much for too little They don't realize that it takes time to create something that is of a good quality level. But what can you do when you're running a business? Tell the customer that they're wrong No one is going to do that.

Anyway, I do like to know what it is you dislike about oop so much that you don't want to use it.
Quote:
Who knows ? I think Intel engineers know a lot about that and I wouldn't want to be at their place.
Me neither For some of them it's probably just a challenge anyway. People can do these things for the fun of it and not just for the money.
Quote:
Also, what'll be invented will certainly not be what we imagine now. Still, I'm ready to bet we won't see quantum computers replacing our desktops even in 50 years from now. But that's just my opinion, of course ;-)
That's fur sure. Remember flying cars? Except for photographs of prototypes, I've never seen one And quantum computers might not be that far away, then again, who knows indeed
Old 01 December 2008, 16:37   #56
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
No, it's not. Life's goal seems to be just to keep spreading. A simple cycle of life, procreation and death. From a human viewpoint, this isn't very interesting.
Yes, man, this is Life. But without any living entity, there is nothing and there cannot be anything.

Quote:
As far as I know, but that's just from old magazine reviews, and as I've never had one, I might be wrong.
I never saw one either, I just heard the A1200 needed to be raised up afterwards because of the height of this.

Quote:
I've had both. From memory, they sound about the same.
I had two 1083S and they didn't exactly sound the same, so I can't tell

Quote:
When I have the money, and I have to find a good solution, too. May take a while unfortunately
Money again, yeah. Decadent capitalism

Quote:
From what I've heard, they filter frequencies lower than 50 hertz away. Guess there's always going to be something to complain about in the digital audio department.
I don't think things under 50 hz are even hearable at all, but if they are, are they anything but parasites ?
Maybe we just need to go back to vinyl ;-)

Quote:
I don't just type text, I work with some other apps as well.
Are they apps that need a lot of cpu power ?

Quote:
That jumper was broken, and I've simply hardwired the jumper connection, so it's back to 60ns again.
Good thing. Now perhaps that mpega library needs to be worked on again...

Quote:
Never had a problem with that. Tracked music with good eight bit samples actually sounds quite good on my system.
Of course they sound good, but you have nothing else to compare (apart memory, ok ).

Quote:
Hehe, I did, didn't I
Yes. Maybe this deserves a punishment, but I won't. (you're too far away )

Quote:
Yes, it could well be HippoPlayer. This needs testing. I've downloaded Play16 and will try it.
And now ? How does it sound, what does it say when playing ?

Quote:
Now that's a lot of jpegs. I can see how you're not interested in my method
Certainly. That whole lot of jpegs was the main reason I needed to write my picture viewer !

Quote:
Yes, but on a cd, you can also have the backups, which seems convenient to me.
Not all the backups if your hd is full enough ! Of my 20 gigs, perhaps 3 are still free...
However, on a floppy you can write things. On a CD everything's fixed.

Quote:
I did, and guess what? I couldn't find it! I'm starting to think it's a false memory Anyway, until I remembered that I didn't complete the game in the challenge, I thought I did! Man, I think I used to drink too much beer
Are you sure it's really beer ? Maybe you need to stop with those nice smelling herbs too

Quote:
That's a shame. I used to get reasonable grades in mandatory art class in high school, but I'm only really capable of copying objects with a pencil. Editing bitmap graphics is something I can do, too, but drawing good game graphics is something I've never tried. Being able to travel around like in Ultima, would be quite cool, and would unfortunately need new graphics. Pity really.
Well, good game graphics aren't required to just start a project, readable graphics are enough (that is, perhaps not cute, but understandable ; you can't admire but you clearly see what it is).

I like Ultima-style, not Ultima itself but games with a similar system and a dungeon view, such as Ambermoon (I'm currently playing Dragonflight).

I dream of making one huge game, with many locations, many dungeons, many monsters, many objects, many characters... <sigh>

Quote:
Can't you swap her with Torham somehow?
Swap a cute girl with a man ? No way !

Quote:
Not all of them. They're good games, which is why I bought them. When I'm fed up with a game, I simply move on to the next one
If you got fed up with some, then perhaps they're not that good :-)

Quote:
I'm very sorry for putting it off for so long However, the PNG decoding part only needs testing with the various image formats, and because that code is quite simple, that would've been easy enough. The point is, it could've saved you some time and effort not having to write that part yourself.
May be it could have saved me some time and effort, but the delay just seemed too long

It's not as simple as it ought to, especially when that progressive stuff comes into play (yeah I support it).

What's needed now is testing, with all possible formats. Do you have various PNGs for that ?

Quote:
Wow, does everything suck that badly?
I can't say everything sucked, but nothing was at level with the miggy.

Quote:
Good idea, and very easy to implement in my frame. It's just that AsmOne makes such functions a little bit useless, unless I would just open my own output window, that is.
But perhaps some programs will need to be run separately from AsmOne one day...

Quote:
No, I can't. But once you know math notation well enough, how hard could it be? As for the ISO spec, I'll look at it, but it probably won't do any good with my current knowledge.
You can understand math notation without understanding too much of what it means... Anyway there aren't many notations in the spec. It just speaks about things such as hybrid filter without explaining what they are.

Quote:
I'll have to look that instruction up. I still think it's possible to do it faster by using a table, so you can decode multiple smaller symbols at the same time.
If you want to try that, be warned : bits that follow a symbol depend on that symbol (can be a size, a distance, another symbol or just be meaningless because it was the last symbol).

Quote:
Yes, but the problem with asm is that it's not very portable. Sure, high level function written in asm can be translated to another cpu, but you'll end up with crappy code, of course. That's why I want a c++ replacement if I would ever try to write my own os again. Besides, 68k is the only cpu I would actually want to do that in asm anyway, so a compiler is needed.
"Portable" is meaningless nowadays. It just means something can work on PC, PC and PC.

Moreover, operating systems aren't portable by essence. If you want to make a portable os, you'll be limited to what's common between architectures.

Quote:
My viewer only uses too much chipmem, because I haven't written a fully functional screen open routine yet. It only handles full screen at the moment. It just hasn't been a priority for me yet.
But other programs eat a lot. Say, things like MUI ?

Quote:
Ah, yes, I will certainly do that. How's Delitracker's wav playback?
Probably not poorer than Hippo :-)

But it is unequaled when playing, say, 30-voc XM.

Quote:
The reason I use MCP now, is that it does what I needed from MCX and more, like making the gui look better and taking care of all the assigns. Very handy. And about mui, yes it's bloated, but it works well enough for me, even though I don't like it that much.
For making the gui look better, maybe but I don't need it. I like my ugly WB
For the assigns, I just refuse to do that. My system isn't overloaded with all those per-application assigns ; for (the stupid) apps that need some, I just add an assign script or rely on the AssignWedge patch, so those asns are
temporary.

I don't like MUI because it uses lots of memory and I suspect it of crashing sometimes.

Quote:
That's what I what I thought. Those silly customors are demanding too much for too little They don't realize that it takes time to create something that is of a good quality level. But what can you do when you're running a business? Tell the customer that they're wrong
You're speaking about quality and it means all. We live in a world today that's based on quantity, not quality.

Quote:
No one is going to do that.
I did a few times, and was told by managers to talk otherwise

Quote:
Anyway, I do like to know what it is you dislike about oop so much that you don't want to use it.
It isn't that I refuse to use it, but for some people oo just seems to be mandatory and everything else sucks. Now that is what I really dislike.

Quote:
Me neither For some of them it's probably just a challenge anyway. People can do these things for the fun of it and not just for the money.
Maybe this challenge is less amusing now... They promised 20 ghz for 2005 and what do we have ?

Quote:
That's fur sure. Remember flying cars? Except for photographs of prototypes, I've never seen one
No, I don't remember

Quote:
And quantum computers might not be that far away, then again, who knows indeed
Oh, they're certainly very close. But they can only handle 7 bits (well, qbits, ok) and perform one single computation before dying.

Nowadays, already, there are some memory chips which may unexpectedly lose bits because of solar rays / ambient radioactivity / whatever. So, sorry, but that mere concept of quantum computers just makes me laugh.
Of course I can change my mind if I actually see one running, but I don't fear for that.
Old 08 December 2008, 14:18   #57
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Yes, man, this is Life. But without any living entity, there is nothing and there cannot be anything.
You got that right!
Quote:
I had two 1083S and they didn't exactly sound the same, so I can't tell.
I've only used those monitors internal sound when I didn't have an amp with speakers, so I have little experience with them.
Quote:
Money again, yeah. Decadent capitalism
Yup, I've got a low paid job. I've got little money for extras. It's simple outside work, which is completely stress-less and the hours are good, so I guess the disadvantage actually has an advantage!
Quote:
I don't think things under 50 hz are even hearable at all, but if they are, are they anything but parasites ?
Maybe we just need to go back to vinyl ;-)
Frequencys below 50 hertz can be heard properly. The human hearing reange is 20 to 20000 hertz As humans get older, their upper frequency bound reduces. Mine at age 32 is 16000 hertz. The lower bound doesn't seem to change.

As for vinyl, this has other problems. With digital storage media, one can simply increase the sample rate and the number of stored bits. With dvds this means a significant increase in audio quality.
Quote:
Are they apps that need a lot of cpu power ?
Sometimes. But I've noticed that the whole system becomes stuttery when the cpu is hogged by an application. That's why I'm sticking to wav.
Quote:
Good thing. Now perhaps that mpega library needs to be worked on again...
That might not be a bad idea. 70ns really sucks
Quote:
Of course they sound good, but you have nothing else to compare (apart memory, ok ).
Yes, I do. 16Bit 44khz music on the peecee
Quote:
Yes. Maybe this deserves a punishment, but I won't. (you're too far away )
Oh, come on, the Netherlands are practically around the corner
Quote:
And now ? How does it sound, what does it say when playing ?
14bit and 14bit calibrated sound the same. At verbosity level 1 it says:
Code:
Filetype is RIFF-WAVE.

Number of tracks	:2
Bits per sample	:16
Compression		:none
Total playback time	:77:48
Recording frequnecy	:24000

Half playback rate	:off
Playback device	:Amiga
This output is the same for both paula14 and paula14c options.
Quote:
Certainly. That whole lot of jpegs was the main reason I needed to write my picture viewer !
I can understand why! What kind of pictures are they, by the way?
Quote:
Not all the backups if your hd is full enough ! Of my 20 gigs, perhaps 3 are still free...
However, on a floppy you can write things. On a CD everything's fixed.
Wow, what do you have on your hd that only three gigs are still free?
Quote:
Are you sure it's really beer ? Maybe you need to stop with those nice smelling herbs too
Yes, I am. I used to drink a whole case a day regularly years ago. This is sure to have caused some damage
Quote:
Well, good game graphics aren't required to just start a project, readable graphics are enough (that is, perhaps not cute, but understandable ; you can't admire but you clearly see what it is).
That's true. No need for fancy graphics without any code to make'm do anything.
Quote:
I like Ultima-style, not Ultima itself but games with a similar system and a dungeon view, such as Ambermoon (I'm currently playing Dragonflight).
So do I. The graphics from the Fire Emblem series are similar, but much better than the old Ultimas. Great game, too, Fire Emblem.
Quote:
I dream of making one huge game, with many locations, many dungeons, many monsters, many objects, many characters... <sigh>
So do I I want an rpg world that's the size of a whole planet!
Quote:
Swap a cute girl with a man ? No way !
I meant to swap Torham out, and your favorite character in! Requires some hacking, but should be possible.
Quote:
If you got fed up with some, then perhaps they're not that good :-)
I get fed up with the best games when I play them too long, and have to leave them alone for a while. This is one of the reasons I haven't been playing Dungeon Master recently. It's one of my favorite games, though!
Quote:
May be it could have saved me some time and effort, but the delay just seemed too long.
The png decoding was actually done quite fast, but you didn't ask. Oh noes! It's 'only' the inflate part that has been delayed!
Quote:
It's not as simple as it ought to, especially when that progressive stuff comes into play (yeah I support it).
I actually thought the decoding parts weren't too hard to do.
Quote:
What's needed now is testing, with all possible formats. Do you have various PNGs for that ?
I've tried using IrfanView to convert to various different settings, but it can't seem to output progressive pngs or uncompressed pngs. Alpha channel shouldn't be a problem, and there should be some programs for the peecee that can output all relevant formats. I'll see if I can find some.
Quote:
I can't say everything sucked, but nothing was at level with the miggy.
Hehe, 68k really does spoil the programmer, doesn't it
Quote:
But perhaps some programs will need to be run separately from AsmOne one day...
My simple viewer already does. I just haven't needed output messages yet. I know I will though, and it's easy to implement.
Quote:
You can understand math notation without understanding too much of what it means... Anyway there aren't many notations in the spec. It just speaks about things such as hybrid filter without explaining what they are.
Yuk
Quote:
If you want to try that, be warned : bits that follow a symbol depend on that symbol (can be a size, a distance, another symbol or just be meaningless because it was the last symbol).
Yes, and it means the table has to have multiple entries that have the same output, so that incomplete codes are ignored.
Quote:
"Portable" is meaningless nowadays. It just means something can work on PC, PC and PC.
That's not completely true. If you write a high level program in c on the peecee, and compile it on the Amiga, then it simply works if only standard libs are used. I've already tried it with a c based system frame for memory and file handling. Same goes for the programs I've written to convert different Japanese dictionaries to a format usable by my Japanes Dictionary program in VisualBasic Express. All this stuff is 100% portable (between peecee and Amiga).
Quote:
Moreover, operating systems aren't portable by essence. If you want to make a portable os, you'll be limited to what's common between architectures.
The low level parts aren't. An os still contains quite a few high level parts, and I suspect many to be reusable.
Quote:
But other programs eat a lot. Say, things like MUI ?
I must admit that I don't use a lot of mui software. A few prefs programs. That's it.
Quote:
Probably not poorer than Hippo :-)
Hippo actually plays back fine. Because I don't have many exotic formats, I think I'll stick with Hippo for a little while longer. I only really play wavs, mods and sids.
Quote:
But it is unequaled when playing, say, 30-voc XM.
Right! But I don't have any
Quote:
For making the gui look better, maybe but I don't need it. I like my ugly WB .
For the assigns, I just refuse to do that. My system isn't overloaded with all those per-application assigns ; for (the stupid) apps that need some, I just add an assign script or rely on the AssignWedge patch, so those asns are
temporary.
My system isn't either. I always make scripts for app assigns. Only permanent assigns, such as the system assigns and mui are hndled by mcp.
Quote:
I don't like MUI because it uses lots of memory and I suspect it of crashing sometimes.
I've never seen it crash. Then again I don't have a lot of mui apps.
Quote:
You're speaking about quality and it means all. We live in a world today that's based on quantity, not quality.
That really sucks At least we can always write our own software
Quote:
I did a few times, and was told by managers to talk otherwise.
Those fools, d'oh
Quote:
It isn't that I refuse to use it, but for some people oo just seems to be mandatory and everything else sucks. Now that is what I really dislike.
Same here. I love oop, but it's not needed all the time. To much oop is poo
Quote:
Maybe this challenge is less amusing now... They promised 20 ghz for 2005 and what do we have ?
It may just take longer than expected.
Quote:
Oh, they're certainly very close. But they can only handle 7 bits (well, qbits, ok) and perform one single computation before dying.
It's going to take a while. As long as the principle is sound.
Quote:
Nowadays, already, there are some memory chips which may unexpectedly lose bits because of solar rays / ambient radioactivity / whatever.
Hasn't this always been a possible problem?

By the way, what do you think of this 2x2 down scale idea?
Code:
	move.l	#%00000000111111001111110011111100,d7
.loop
	move.l	(a0),d2
	addq.l	#3,a0
	and.l	d7,d2

move.l	(a0),d3
	addq.l	#3,a0
	and.l	d7,d3
	add.l	d3,d2

move.l	(a1),d3
	addq.l	#3,a1
	and.l	d7,d3
	add.l	d3,d2

move.l	(a1),d3
	addq.l	#3,a1
	and.l	d7,d3
	add.l	d3,d2

lsl.l	#6,d2
	move.l	d2,(a2)
	addq.l	#3,a2

dbra	d6,.loop

Last edited by Thorham; 08 December 2008 at 16:33.
Old 10 December 2008, 10:28   #58
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
I've only used those monitors internal sound when I didn't have an amp with speakers, so I have little experience with them.
I regret my old 1083S anyway. Best monitor I've ever had.

Quote:
Yup, I've got a low paid job. I've got little money for extras. It's simple outside work, which is completely stress-less and the hours are good, so I guess the disadvantage actually has an advantage!
If work becomes enjoyable then it no longer is work. If so, yes, you're right in keeping that one.

Quote:
Frequencys below 50 hertz can be heard properly. The human hearing reange is 20 to 20000 hertz As humans get older, their upper frequency bound reduces. Mine at age 32 is 16000 hertz. The lower bound doesn't seem to change.

As for vinyl, this has other problems. With digital storage media, one can simply increase the sample rate and the number of stored bits. With dvds this means a significant increase in audio quality.
The main advantage of digital storage isn't quality (a vinyl is still better than a CD - the first time you play it), but the fact it can be duplicated without any loss.

But do 20 to 50 hz buzz have their place in music ? I dunno.

Quote:
Sometimes. But I've noticed that the whole system becomes stuttery when the cpu is hogged by an application. That's why I'm sticking to wav.
If an app is eating lots of cpu power, you can just lower its priority.
I've seen my system at 100% cpu usage with its reactivity unaffected.

Quote:
That might not be a bad idea. 70ns really sucks
So... Hippo can play mpeg audio but isn't good. You can use DT2's Mpegaplayer and tell me which settings you are able to use.

Quote:
Yes, I do. 16Bit 44khz music on the peecee
But this isn't tracker music. Peecees never have really played tracker musics correctly anyway, even DP2 on PC has a bad rendering.

Quote:
Oh, come on, the Netherlands are practically around the corner
You want it, eh ? But you won't have it. This time it is because I'm too lazy

Quote:
14bit and 14bit calibrated sound the same. At verbosity level 1 it says:
(...)
This output is the same for both paula14 and paula14c options.
You're not playing with calibrated output. There should have been an additionnal line telling this.

You may have a look with Snoopdos. Perhaps your calibration file ended up at the wrong place.

Quote:
I can understand why! What kind of pictures are they, by the way?
Errrh... Ahem... Heheh... Can't you guess ?

Quote:
Wow, what do you have on your hd that only three gigs are still free?
Apart the jpegs, I have loads of mp3 (perhaps 5 gigs or more), thousands of mods (several Aminet CDs), some waves/flacs, lots of games (including some pc games waiting for an hypothetical port), lots of programs (sometimes with huge sources), some demos...

It really needs a whole lot of clean-up

Quote:
Yes, I am. I used to drink a whole case a day regularly years ago. This is sure to have caused some damage
A whole case a day

Quote:
That's true. No need for fancy graphics without any code to make'm do anything.
So, are you able to do some "place holder" graphics for a game ?

Apart from games, I also need some gfx for a GUI (for my audio player project).
Some icons are easy to do (play, stop...) but others are not.

Quote:
So do I. The graphics from the Fire Emblem series are similar, but much better than the old Ultimas. Great game, too, Fire Emblem.
I don't know Fire Emblem... Probably another pc game.

Quote:
So do I I want an rpg world that's the size of a whole planet!
The best I've found for that is Ambermoon.

Quote:
I meant to swap Torham out, and your favorite character in! Requires some hacking, but should be possible.
This would need some hacks in the dungeon file, to put Torham back to sleep (there IS a place for that !). Now the game wouldn't even need a character to start, as like old DM it can start with none (it just takes whoever is at 0,0
of the starting level, could be no-one).

However, this cutie gives all her power when protected behind strong warriors...

Quote:
I get fed up with the best games when I play them too long, and have to leave them alone for a while. This is one of the reasons I haven't been playing Dungeon Master recently. It's one of my favorite games, though!
Ok then. About Dm : I don't believe that. You're just afraid to get into that custom dungeon and get your ass kicked again

Quote:
The png decoding was actually done quite fast, but you didn't ask. Oh noes! It's 'only' the inflate part that has been delayed!
But you can't test if you haven't any real case, and this requires doing everything. Sorry again, but the delay was just too large.

Anyway you can still give me what you already have, even though I doubt one can make a paeth routine faster than mine

Quote:
I actually thought the decoding parts weren't too hard to do.
Yes. Apart that progressive stuff, which needed to rewrite the whole main loop.

Quote:
I've tried using IrfanView to convert to various different settings, but it can't seem to output progressive pngs or uncompressed pngs. Alpha channel shouldn't be a problem, and there should be some programs for the peecee that can output all relevant formats. I'll see if I can find some.
Yes, I'd be happy if you could find/encode some.

Quote:
Hehe, 68k really does spoil the programmer, doesn't it
68k was made by programmers, and they knew what they needed. It has some flaws, but nothing better exists. It's just too bad it got abandoned !

Quote:
My simple viewer already does. I just haven't needed output messages yet. I know I will though, and it's easy to implement.
Easy to implement, maybe. But what if they need to be translated ?
I'm still looking for a locale.library-like solution.

Quote:
Yuk
Yes, yuk. I agree.

Quote:
Yes, and it means the table has to have multiple entries that have the same output, so that incomplete codes are ignored.
My table gives actual value to be output, and the number of bits to be returned to the bit reader. I can't see how it could have given two values at once.

Quote:
That's not completely true. If you write a high level program in c on the peecee, and compile it on the Amiga, then it simply works if only standard libs are used. I've already tried it with a c based system frame for memory and file handling. Same goes for the programs I've written to convert different Japanese dictionaries to a format usable by my Japanes Dictionary program in VisualBasic Express. All this stuff is 100% portable (between peecee and Amiga).
If only standard libs are used. That means : no graphics, no sound, just plain console and file i/o. You can't get far with that !

Quote:
The low level parts aren't. An os still contains quite a few high level parts, and I suspect many to be reusable.
But the low level parts can change drastically to be correctly adapted to an architecture, which, in turn, affects what's on top of them.

Quote:
I must admit that I don't use a lot of mui software. A few prefs programs. That's it.
I use more. Nearly all Internet-related stuff (MiamiDx, IBrowse, Yam...) use it.

Quote:
Hippo actually plays back fine. Because I don't have many exotic formats, I think I'll stick with Hippo for a little while longer. I only really play wavs, mods and sids.
But Hippo's just ugly ;-)
And some mods aren't played correctly.

Quote:
Right! But I don't have any
See Aminet/mods.

Quote:
My system isn't either. I always make scripts for app assigns. Only permanent assigns, such as the system assigns and mui are hndled by mcp.
So you don't really need a particular program for your assigns. The os in itself doesn't require many of them.

Quote:
I've never seen it crash. Then again I don't have a lot of mui apps.
When put in my hands, LOTS of apps crash

Quote:
That really sucks At least we can always write our own software
Yes, but software probably isn't enough. If we really wanted quality, IMO we'd have to redesign the whole machine !

Quote:
Those fools, d'oh

Quote:
Same here. I love oop, but it's not needed all the time. To much oop is poo
It may be true that too much oop kills oop.
Also I do not like mixing code with data and oop is just that.

Quote:
It may just take longer than expected.
Isn't it already starting to be a little bit too long ?

Quote:
It's going to take a while. As long as the principle is sound.
But I continue to say that this principle can't work.

Quote:
Hasn't this always been a possible problem?
Maybe, but the more data you fit in, the more likely the problems will come !

Quote:
By the way, what do you think of this 2x2 down scale idea?
Looks good, even though it might have looked better with a few comments saying what things are ;-)
Now you just have to do that for 8 bpp and less, and you'll have everything you need.
Old 15 December 2008, 13:58   #59
Thorham
Computer Nerd

I've asked the post size to be increased, and RCK has increased it to 20000 chars
Quote:
I regret my old 1083S anyway. Best monitor I've ever had.
Same here... for Amiga There are most certainly better monitors available today.
Quote:
If work becomes enjoyable then it no longer is work. If so, yes, you're right in keeping that one.

Quote:
The main advantage of digital storage isn't quality (a vinyl is still better than a CD - the first time you play it), but the fact it can be duplicated without any loss.
I must admit that I do want to hear that for my self
Quote:
But do 20 to 50 hz buzz have their place in music ? I dunno.
In very heavy bass sounds, such as in some house music, which I like, by the way.
Quote:
If an app is eating lots of cpu power, you can just lower its priority.
I've seen my system at 100% cpu usage with its reactivity unaffected.
Yeah, Dopus doesn't always give accurate readings. Still, wav is so low on the cpu that I prefer it. I don't like my system to start behaving choppy or having to reduce the amount of cpu time an app gets.
Quote:
So... Hippo can play mpeg audio but isn't good. You can use DT2's Mpegaplayer and tell me which settings you are able to use.
I'll have it tested by Friday.
Quote:
But this isn't tracker music. Peecees never have really played tracker musics correctly anyway, even DP2 on PC has a bad rendering.
Except for their own formats, like xm and s3m. But who needs a peecee for mod and sid anyway
Quote:
You want it, eh ? But you won't have it. This time it is because I'm too lazy.

Quote:
You're not playing with calibrated output. There should have been an additionnal line telling this.
Odd, I'm sure I've done everything properly. I'll try again and post the findings on Friday.
Quote:
You may have a look with Snoopdos. Perhaps your calibration file ended up at the wrong place.
Oh gee, I keep forgetting that program. Installing it this week.
Quote:
Errrh... Ahem... Heheh... Can't you guess ?
No, I can't. Enlighten please
Quote:
Apart the jpegs, I have loads of mp3 (perhaps 5 gigs or more), thousands of mods (several Aminet CDs), some waves/flacs, lots of games (including some pc games waiting for an hypothetical port), lots of programs (sometimes with huge sources), some demos...
Now it makes sense. That's a lot of data you have there!
Quote:
It really needs a whole lot of clean-up.
I just cleaned up mine, and I really just tend to dump stuff in a dump partition, so the other partitions stay quite clean.
Quote:
A whole case a day.
Yeah, thats 7.2 litres in 12 hours
Quote:
So, are you able to do some "place holder" graphics for a game ?
I'm not even going to try. However, I've had a look on the net, and I've found plenty of tilesets and sprite sheets. Get them here: TileSet.zip This include two character classes. I have over 60.
Quote:
Apart from games, I also need some gfx for a GUI (for my audio player project).
Maybe WinAmp 5's modern skin could do. If you have a nice image of a stereo system, you might use that, and you can make all the knobs work.What do you have in mind for this?
Quote:
Some icons are easy to do (play, stop...) but others are not.
True. There's probably plenty of decent stuff available on-line.
Quote:
I don't know Fire Emblem... Probably another pc game.
Nope. It's a strategic rpg series which I think started on snes and got continued on the gameboy advance, Get some screen shots here: FireEmblemScreens.zip
Quote:
The best I've found for that is Ambermoon.
Sounds good!
Quote:
This would need some hacks in the dungeon file, to put Torham back to sleep (there IS a place for that !). Now the game wouldn't even need a character to start, as like old DM it can start with none (it just takes whoever is at 0,0
of the starting level, could be no-one).
Sounds simple enough.
Quote:
However, this cutie gives all her power when protected behind strong warriors...
In my challenge, Torham wouldn't be very strong at all, either, and when you simply try playing as normal, but just with one character, that charcter will become very strong at all classes except Ninja. Try it.
Quote:
Ok then. About Dm : I don't believe that. You're just afraid to get into that custom dungeon and get your ass kicked again.
No, trust me, when I play any game I really like for too long, I have to put it down for a few months.
Quote:
But you can't test if you haven't any real case, and this requires doing everything. Sorry again, but the delay was just too large.
I understand. I'm sorry for taking too long
Quote:
Anyway you can still give me what you already have, even though I doubt one can make a paeth routine faster than mine
You got it. I'll post them Friday. My cd rewriter is currently in my peecee, and until I'm done using it, it's not coming out. I hate opening that thing.
Quote:
Yes. Apart that progressive stuff, which needed to rewrite the whole main loop.
Hmm, I didn't think it was too difficult. Then again, my code might just be faulty. I'll have to try and see.
Quote:
Yes, I'd be happy if you could find/encode some.
I've got something better. It's called Png Suite and it has 157 differently encoded png images and comes with a doc file as well. Most of the images are also small, just 32x32 pixels.Get them here: PngSuite.zip
Quote:
68k was made by programmers, and they knew what they needed. It has some flaws, but nothing better exists. It's just too bad it got abandoned !
No wonder it's so damned good. And you're right, it's a shame
Quote:
Easy to implement, maybe. But what if they need to be translated ?
I'm still looking for a locale.library-like solution.
Locale is a standard Workbench feature. Why not use it?
Quote:
My table gives actual value to be output, and the number of bits to be returned to the bit reader. I can't see how it could have given two values at once.
It can if there is more then one complete code in a read word. The table has to be set up to ignore extra bits at the end. It's all just theory, however.
Quote:
If only standard libs are used. That means : no graphics, no sound, just plain console and file i/o. You can't get far with that !
Depends on what you want to make. It's great for command line utilities that you may want to use on multiple systems.
Quote:
But the low level parts can change drastically to be correctly adapted to an architecture, which, in turn, affects what's on top of them.
Still, there's probably quite a lot of code that's still portable. Correct me if I'm wrong
Quote:
I use more. Nearly all Internet-related stuff (MiamiDx, IBrowse, Yam...) use it.
Right. Because I use my peecee for internet, I don't need these.
Quote:
But Hippo's just ugly ;-)
And some mods aren't played correctly.
Yeah, it is ugly, isn't it? Which format are those mods in?
Quote:
See Aminet/mods.
Yeah, I remember them having a nice selection. Any change of playing Digibooster mods properly?
Quote:
So you don't really need a particular program for your assigns. The os in itself doesn't require many of them.
Yes, I know, but if a patch like mcp or mcx is loaded anyway, then why not have mcp handle them. Here's my startup-sequence:
Code:
C:IDEfix start quiet
C:SetPatch QUIET

copy >nil: sys:prefs/ramdisk/ ram: all

c:patchcontrol
c:mcp

c:fblit >nil:
c:ftext >nil:

c:mountenv >nil:
sys:devs/monitors/pal >nil:

C:IPrefs
C:ConClip

Path >NIL: RAM: C: SYS:Utilities SYS:Rexxc SYS:System S: SYS:Tools
Run <NIL: >NIL: c:NewIcons

assign CON: dismount >nil:
mount CON:

Execute S:User-Startup

C:LoadWB
EndCLI >NIL:
Nice and clean, isn't it?
Quote:
When put in my hands, LOTS of apps crash.

Quote:
Yes, but software probably isn't enough. If we really wanted quality, IMO we'd have to redesign the whole machine !
Maybe, but well written code is well written code, regardless of which machine it's written for.
Quote:
It may be true that too much oop kills oop.
Also I do not like mixing code with data and oop is just that.
It only looks like that in the source code. What's the real difference with making a structure in assembler and then accessing it with a bunch of routines which are specifically written to use that structure? Happens all the time in assembler.
Quote:
Isn't it already starting to be a little bit too long ?
Some times progress happens quickly, and some times it doesn't. Fact of life.
Quote:
But I continue to say that this principle can't work.
I don't even really know how it works, so I can't really offer any input
Quote:
Maybe, but the more data you fit in, the more likely the problems will come !
That's true. Time to shield those computers from radiation!
Quote:
Looks good, even though it might have looked better with a few comments saying what things are ;-)
Now you just have to do that for 8 bpp and less, and you'll have everything you need.
Basically it simply reads longwords in one go, three byte aligned, and removes the extra gun color, and makes space in the remaining gun colors so they can be added up three at a time. Saves a lot of cycles. As for indexed scaling, here's indexed to 24 bit downscaling:
Code:
;
; 8 bits per pixel indexed color to 24 bit color 2x2 down sampling.
;
; a0=even scan lines of 8bpp bmp file.
; a1=odd scan lines of 8bpp bmp file.
; a2=24 bpp output buffer for c2p.
; a3=color table in 00rrrrrr00gggggg00bbbbbb00000000 format.
; d0=scan line length in pixels.

moveq	#0,d3
.loop
	move.b	(a0)+,d3
	move.l	(a3,d3.w*4),d2

move.b	(a0)+,d3
	add.l	(a3,d3.w*4),d2

move.b	(a1)+,d3
	add.l	(a3,d3.w*4),d2

move.b	(a1)+,d3
	add.l	(a3,d3.w*4),d2

move.l	d2,(a2)
	addq.l	#3,a2

dbra	d0,.loop
Very simple to do, as you can see
Old 18 December 2008, 14:45   #60
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
I've asked the post size to be increased, and RCK has increased it to 20000 chars
Wow. Now we just need the number of images to be increased too...

Quote:
Same here... for Amiga There are most certainly better monitors available today.
If there are, then I've never seen one. Peecee monitors just give a somewhat colorless image, and don't tell me about those flat screens. Yukk !

I remember that 17 inch monitor I once had at work. Every time it switched resolution it made such a noise that it gave the impression to be imploding. Not to mention the several-seconds black out.

Quote:
I must admit that I do want to hear that for my self
You can't. Vinyls are no longer sold, and existing ones are old (quality is only better the very first time you play it).

Quote:
In very heavy bass sounds, such as in some house music, which I like, by the way.
Must be very heavy then. Don't get in trouble with your neighbors :-)

Quote:
Yeah, Dopus doesn't always give accurate readings. Still, wav is so low on the cpu that I prefer it. I don't like my system to start behaving choppy or having to reduce the amount of cpu time an app gets.
But wav isn't that low because of lots of disk accesses, and those can make the machine very choppy. Not to mention Dopus probably eats some cycles too.

Quote:
I'll have it tested by Friday.
I assume you'll have done it when reading this. So now ?

Quote:
Except for their own formats, like xm and s3m. But who needs a peecee for mod and sid anyway
Who needs ? This whole lot of people who don't have anything but a peecee (the poor mites).
And the other poor mites who used to have a miggy but no longer have.

Quote:
Odd, I'm sure I've done everything properly. I'll try again and post the findings on Friday.
Dunno what you've found now, but if needed then maybe I can give you a small proggy that will just refuse to work if not calibrated and tell you what's missing.

Quote:
Oh gee, I keep forgetting that program. Installing it this week.
Take care about last versions. For me they're just crap. Snoopdos 1.7 is better.

Quote:
No, I can't. Enlighten please
Partition is called "xxx:". Now try to guess again

Quote:
Now it makes sense. That's a lot of data you have there!
Oh, yeah ! And most of it is just unsorted and probably a big part should end up deleted. Easy for images/audio (when I'm not just too lazy) but for games it's much harder.

Quote:
I just cleaned up mine, and I really just tend to dump stuff in a dump partition, so the other partitions stay quite clean.
That's what I do... until I'm out of disk space.

Quote:
Yeah, thats 7.2 litres in 12 hours
Holy shit
I'm glad you stopped that now.

Quote:
I'm not even going to try. However, I've had a look on the net, and I've found plenty of tilesets and sprite sheets. Get them here: Attachment 19289 This include two character classes. I have over 60.
Not exactly what I need...

Quote:
Maybe WinAmp 5's modern skin could do. If you have a nice image of a stereo system, you might use that, and you can make all the knobs work.
Winamp skins are made for winamp and nothing else. They don't provide all the stuff I need. Do winamp support subsongs, prev/next patt, play speed ? I doubt. Moreover, it's too colorful (and probably too big) for WB interface.

Quote:
What do you have in mind for this?
In fact I'm just looking for 6 different icons (all the rest - knobs and tapedeck - is done) :
1. show players (say, data types, or codecs) window
2. show genies/engines/whatever other type of plugin window
3. show config window
4. show play list window
5. show module information window
6. show scopes window
(all of them in standard wb colors, of course)

Quote:
True. There's probably plenty of decent stuff available on-line.
On-line stuff is useless for me. It's not for WB but for peecees. Too big, too many colors.

Quote:
Nope. It's a strategic rpg series which I think started on snes and got continued on the gameboy advance, Get some screen shots here: Attachment 19287
Rpg on consoles ? Doh ! I can't imagine playing an rpg without a mouse.

Quote:
Sounds good!
Main world is 800x800 tiles (as far as I remember), not counting the dungeons and cities, so that's something to explore. My fave RPG btw.

Quote:
Sounds simple enough.
Maybe this has already been made by others, but it doesn't really interest me.

Quote:
In my challenge, Torham wouldn't be very strong at all, either, and when you simply try playing as normal, but just with one character, that charcter will become very strong at all classes except Ninja. Try it.
Thanks but no thanks. I don't like this type of challenge. This just turns the rpg into an arcade game.

Quote:
No, trust me, when I play any game I really like for too long, I have to put it down for a few months.
Then the few months are over, eh ? You'll have to find something else

Quote:
You got it. I'll post them Friday. My cd rewriter is currently in my peecee, and until I'm done using it, it's not coming out. I hate opening that thing.
I don't see the link with the cd writer, but I'm waiting.

Quote:
Hmm, I didn't think it was too difficult. Then again, my code might just be faulty. I'll have to try and see.
Because you did it ???

Quote:
I've got something better. It's called Png Suite and it has 157 differently encoded png images and comes with a doc file as well. Most of the images are also small, just 32x32 pixels.Get them here: Attachment 19288
May well be exactly what I need... or not. I'll see.

Quote:
No wonder it's so damned good. And you're right, it's a shame
Could have been better though. If I were able to change things, I'd have some ideas !

Quote:
Locale is a standard Workbench feature. Why not use it?
Because my program shouldn't even know about Workbench !
(btw it's not WB in itself but locale.library)
My lib is designed to be all the program needs, so I need some neat API for that.

Quote:
It can if there is more then one complete code in a read word. The table has to be set up to ignore extra bits at the end. It's all just theory, however.
Then it's very theoretical, because :
1. a read word is a byte and due to the file format it cannot be anything else, which severely limits the amount of data you can pre-read (thus the time gain may be null)
2. bits change signification depending of the meaning of the previous code (may be a completely different huff table, or even direct bits to be read), so there'll be lots of particular cases to slow you down

Quote:
Depends on what you want to make. It's great for command line utilities that you may want to use on multiple systems.
But we were talking about OSes, not command-line utils.

Quote:
Still, there's probably quite a lot of code that's still portable. Correct me if I'm wrong
I probably won't correct you
But you might have to give me some examples !

Quote:
Right. Because I use my peecee for internet, I don't need these.
So you can run all those nice viruses that lie out there. Doh, I can't

Quote:
Yeah, it is ugly, isn't it? Which format are those mods in?
Some ProTracker aren't played correctly (yeah). And I wouldn't even bother trying a MED or a TFMX.

Now if you want a nice player, then grab EaglePlayer 2.x from Aminet, and activate the Empy Gui. This had me totally stumped.

Quote:
Yeah, I remember them having a nice selection. Any change of playing Digibooster mods properly?
Are you talking about Digibooster or Digibooster Pro ?
Anyway I had no trouble with DT2.34 (apart that damn DBpro still uses that damn AHI).

Quote:
Yes, I know, but if a patch like mcp or mcx is loaded anyway, then why not have mcp handle them. Here's my startup-sequence:
(...)
Nice and clean, isn't it?
Maybe. Then again, maybe not

A few remarks :
. who knows what horror lurks in s:user-startup (not me, I have none)
. aren't fblit/ftext already handled by mcp ?
. what is "mountenv" ? your env assigns don't seem standard, may be the cause of 14bit file not found
. running PAL monitor isn't needed (if you don't have any other monitor)
. "Run <NIL: >NIL: c:NewIcons" could have been "Run <>NIL: c:NewIcons" (but that's just to be shorter )

Quote:
Maybe, but well written code is well written code, regardless of which machine it's written for.
That's what YOU think.

Quote:
It only looks like that in the source code. What's the real difference with making a structure in assembler and then accessing it with a bunch of routines which are specifically written to use that structure? Happens all the time in assembler.
The source code is what you read, so that's important anyway.

In asm, you hardly have to write a routine just to access a structure. Read or write its fields, and that's all. And remember to use the RS directive :-)

Quote:
Some times progress happens quickly, and some times it doesn't. Fact of life.
Seems to be on the slower side this time...

Quote:
I don't even really know how it works, so I can't really offer any input
A lot about it can probably be read on the net, but maybe this won't interest you.

Quote:
That's true. Time to shield those computers from radiation!
And how will you shield something against radiations that can potentially traverse the whole Earth ?
How can you protect yourself against radiations that come from the shield itself (such as ambiant radioactivity) ?

Remember : a SINGLE particle disintegration will be enough to change the status of one bit, hence some random data losses, so you need more than a shield.

Quote:
Basically it simply reads longwords in one go, three byte aligned, and removes the extra gun color, and makes space in the remaining gun colors so they can be added up three at a time. Saves a lot of cycles.
I've guessed that. But perhaps comments would have been good anyway ;-)

Quote:
As for indexed scaling, here's indexed to 24 bit downscaling:
(...)
Very simple to do, as you can see
And only works in ONE case : chunky 8-bit. No good for IFFs, that is. Of couse we could apply a p2c before, but low-bpp images will simply look ugly when rendered in ham.

Perhaps you can try this in your bmp viewer and see what it gives for 16-color images.