English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 22 January 2014, 21:09   #1
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Where Time Stood Still nearly done - Musician(s) needed

Well, the game is nearly done, its gone through big bug testing on real Amigas, lots of bugs killed, faders implemented, better joystick control, ingame menu for changing options on the fly, its all nearing completion.....except the music

Unfortunately Akira cannot find the time to help, and someone else I asked hasn't answered so i'm guessing the answer is 'no'.

So, i'm asking for help from the EAB community to get this realised.

What am I asking for?

2x Protracker modules.

1). Module 1 is to be a 1:1 conversion of the Atari ST original. YM emulation is possible, but its a processor intensive task on 68000, A1200 owners won't notice, but A500/A600 owners most certainly will

A Protracker module will be a lot more easy on the system, and ensure that theres some atmosphere in the game.

2). Module 2 I would like a remix in an Amiga style of the original tune. The original tune is only 1 minute 15 seconds, so something a bit more lengthy would be nice, not in anything daft like drum and bass, but something more upbeat and with more duration.

Got a spare 100K of memory to work with, so there shouldn't be much restrictions on creativity.

Its got to be Protracker because its generally easier for Amiga to play with less CPU time taken up. Please no MilkyTracker or anything else, not all commands in other trackers are 100% the same as Protracker.

If I get several people that want to contribute, i'm more than happy to include more music than two tunes, only want 1 1:1 copy of the ST original, but would welcome more choice for the 2nd 'Amiga' tune, and will have music selectable ingame if necessary.

Can anyone help?

Other than a few other bugs, its nearly done.
Old 23 January 2014, 00:31   #2
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

The game simply won't be released without music.

Both Cody Jarret and Codetapper can confirm the game exists and i'm not using the lack of music to cover up that I haven't done anything
Old 23 January 2014, 00:46   #3
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Grazey/ShowaddyWaddy has replied to the thread you opened on the Dbug forum. He is looking for the emails about the MyST emulator and the Author Nicolas will dig out his ST / Amiga hard drive over the weekend. At the very least I am expecting the source for the MyST YM2149 emulated Eagle player.
Old 23 January 2014, 02:02   #4
Subzero
Living and Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
The game simply won't be released without music.

Both Cody Jarret and Codetapper can confirm the game exists and i'm not using the lack of music to cover up that I haven't done anything
correctly... Galahad ftw!
Old 23 January 2014, 06:21   #5
Mark Wright

D'you know, I'd love to have a go at this, but the tune is so horrible I'd be tempted to mess with it. It's been a long while since I've done it (and I won't commit to any sort of deadline) but I used to be a bit of whizz at 1:1 conversions.

20 years ago.

Credentials? Well, I supplied the 1:1 soundtrack to Mr Sinch's Giana Sisters PC port in 1997. The player used to record this doesn't do it justice, but here's my copy of Rob Hubbard's "One Man In His Droid" in glorious MED-o-vision from 1992:

http://ftp.df.lth.se/pub/media/soamc...ad_T01_MIX.mp3

Most pertinently, here's my 6KB YM/AY tribute (from 1991) made using Linel's SoundFX, easily converted to a tracker module, and would be my starting point for making the WTSS track:

http://www.radiofriendly.co.uk/loadoftos.mp3

Leave it with me.
Old 23 January 2014, 08:43   #6
Dunny

Just had a listen to the ST's main theme and it is indeed awful! I only played the Speccy version where the theme tune was brilliant, which is odd as the ST's sound chip is very similar to the Speccy's.

D.
Old 23 January 2014, 09:16   #7
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Quote:
Both Cody Jarret and Codetapper can confirm the game exists
We've talked about your hallucinations before Galahad! Remember the time that you thought that Putty Squad had been released?
Old 23 January 2014, 09:26   #8
tomcat666
Retro Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
Just had a listen to the ST's main theme and it is indeed awful! I only played the Speccy version where the theme tune was brilliant, which is odd as the ST's sound chip is very similar to the Speccy's.

D.
EXACTLY - I have mentioned this a few times already - PLEASE use the ZX Spectrum AY version of the tune which is A LOT better than the Atari ST YM one - it is strange since these two chips are VERY similar and it could actually be better.

Galahad - can you somehow use the SPectrum tune instead the ST one ?
Old 23 January 2014, 11:24   #9
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Mr.Wright, your credentials are well known

I'd be honoured if you'd do anything for this project

The only reason I want a 1:1 conversion of the tune is so people can actually realise 'Wow, thats not great', and then they select a (hopefully) Amiga'ised tune in place of it, and then they go "yeah, now thats the shiznit!"

So, in essence, i'm grateful and happy for ANY contributions whatsoever, if the Spectrum version is truly better, then a conversion of that would be welcome,

EDIT: Just listened to the Spectrum version, and it is indeed better, instruments have a bit more life about them, the ST version really is quite bland to listen to.

But either way, i'd love two mods, one thats a conversion and one thats balls out Amiga in whatever way you want it to sound.

Damn, this project potentially just got a whole lot better

And a message to Lielo, yes please if you want to contribute as well, i'm more than happy for you to
Old 23 January 2014, 13:45   #10
leathered

The offers still there if it all falls down; as I said, I can pull the tune out of it, but if Mark can do that and improve it then I think he's your man, sound like he's at ease with protracker too =)
But i don't want it to end 'cos you don't have a tune, that's all. Look forward to it!
Old 23 January 2014, 13:47   #11
Dunny

Two words: Jungle drums. That is all. Make sure they're in (the Spectrum version does a pretty good job of implying them) and all will be well.

Edit: Also, are we getting better graphics? The ST improved on the Speccy by going from monochrome to grey-scale - the Amiga should theoretically be able to do full colour. IIRC the ST had a 16 colour palette? If I'm right, then you could mirror that in 32 colours to create a night and day palette.

I'm really, really looking forward to mapping this one!

D.

Last edited by Dunny; 23 January 2014 at 13:54.
Old 23 January 2014, 15:18   #12
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

I'm thinking cellos and a brass section, John Williams style
Old 23 January 2014, 16:41   #13
Grazey

Hi Galahad?

Do you still intend to use the ST YM2149 music?

If so I can give you source to play the YMST WTSS file I created for you on the D-Bug forum.

Let us know as I'll crossDOS the disk over from my trusty A1200.

Grazey/Showaddywaddy
Old 23 January 2014, 19:10   #14
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grazey View Post
Hi Galahad?

Do you still intend to use the ST YM2149 music?

If so I can give you source to play the YMST WTSS file I created for you on the D-Bug forum.

Let us know as I'll crossDOS the disk over from my trusty A1200.

Grazey/Showaddywaddy
I replied back to you on D-Bug

Sorry for the delay buddy, time on other stuff, but i've made a lot more progress on this in such a short time that its nearly ready for release.

Yes, would love your YM code if you could. Still got the WTSS tune you uploaded to me before, but the YM bin file that MyST uses, theres no documentation on how to use it, so i've kind of come up against a brick wall there, so any help you can provide would be great.

Would love the option of having real 1:1 ST music conversion for completeness.
Old 23 January 2014, 19:13   #15
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Two words: Jungle drums. That is all. Make sure they're in (the Spectrum version does a pretty good job of implying them) and all will be well.

Edit: Also, are we getting better graphics? The ST improved on the Speccy by going from monochrome to grey-scale - the Amiga should theoretically be able to do full colour. IIRC the ST had a 16 colour palette? If I'm right, then you could mirror that in 32 colours to create a night and day palette.

I'm really, really looking forward to mapping this one!

D.
Sorry, but its a straight port of the ST version because of the way i've done the conversion.

Essentially I have the Atari ST version running complete inside Amiga memory, and I have patched the game so that once everything has been drawn to the Atari ST screen is done, I then convert that screen to a format the Amiga can recognise in realtime.

Other than maybe doing something in the boot sequence, it will essentially be as I suspect how Dentons Designs would have done it at the time. I'd love to do more with it, but its a largely black and white game, theres not much scope to 'improve' that i'm afraid.
Old 23 January 2014, 19:25   #16
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
it will essentially be as I suspect how Dentons Designs would have done it at the time
Which is what we want right? I'm looking forward to playing it.

I would like to know some history about why the Amiga version was never made/released. Anyone know anyone from Denton Designs / Ocean at the time who could shed some light?
Old 23 January 2014, 19:54   #17
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

Quote:
I'm really, really looking forward to mapping this one
I have extracted the base map already (without all the objects on) so that will save you time if you wish to improve it. It was one of most bizarre map formats I've ever seen. I will probably write a document about it on my site, as it took a lot of tricks to get the map out, then it had to be spliced together as there are 15 different "sections" of the map with different sub-maps using the same set of 512 tiles. You are welcome to make it as cool as the Spectrum map (showing where all objects are and how to use them etc).
Old 24 January 2014, 08:12   #18
kamelito
Zone Friend

Didn't knew that your map ripper recognized Atari ST format. Still asking if an OSX versionmight be possible.
Kamelito
Old 24 January 2014, 08:28   #19
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

An OSX version is out of the question for me, for one thing I don't have any Apple products (and do not wish to), and it's written in Delphi using several components, so I wouldn't even know how it could be done.

Incidentally it required a new format, Atari-ST style interleaved bytes (not words), the same as Wreckers uses.
Old 24 January 2014, 09:02   #20
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codetapper View Post
An OSX version is out of the question for me, for one thing I don't have any Apple products (and do not wish to), and it's written in Delphi using several components, so I wouldn't even know how it could be done.

Incidentally it required a new format, Atari-ST style interleaved bytes (not words), the same as Wreckers uses.
I suspect thats a throwback to the Spectrum, i'll bet the maps were written for the Spectrum first and then used as is for the Atari ST version.