English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

View Poll Results: What is your favourite Amiga filemanager?
ABCdir 2 1.36%
Dopus 101 68.71%
DirWork 8 5.44%
Ordering 0 0%
DiskMaster 18 12.24%
Other 17 11.56%
None 1 0.68%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Old 21 April 2006, 16:38   #21
BippyM
Global Moderator

Here is a screenshot of my Dopus 4 config

It has remained essentially the same since 1998, with just a few colour tweaks here and there and the odd util/button change also

Oh and this is my Picasso version

Last edited by BippyM; 10 July 2013 at 23:00.
Old 21 April 2006, 17:37   #22
pTah
Zone Friend

my favourite is definitely MaxonTools2. i never liked diropus...
it's fast, functional, looks good and very easy to use!!!
try this one.
(... i'm not sure but i think that there's only a german version available...)
Old 21 April 2006, 18:10   #23
Ray Norrish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frog
Filemaster 2.2+ or 3.1 (less stable), simple, efficiency, easy to configure, fast, run on kick1.3 as well as 3.1... it remember several directory listing (10 per windows). One of my essential tools

PS : done by Toni Wilen, don't know if it's the same that made WinUae
Same here. Always did everything I wanted, so never really looked at anything else
Old 21 April 2006, 18:19   #24
mr_a500
Amiga-based Cyborg

Thanks for posting the screenshot, bippym. That's what I thought Dopus looked like, but I needed a reminder.

OK, there's two I've never heard of: SID2 and MaxonTools2. I'll check them out. (hoping they're on Aminet)

Quote:
file managers should be fast and snappy not bloated and suggesting a kitchen sink is what you need...
I agree with that. That's why I like ABCdir - it's only 72K total (43K pp version), and very fast.

Quote:
mr_a500, i had a browse on your pictures at amiga.org, there are some really impressive, like the Mac Os8 running on the A500, cool!
Thanks Marco. The OS8 screenshot was only possible thanks to EAB and Ant512.
Old 21 April 2006, 19:08   #25
pbareges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Norrish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frog
Filemaster 2.2+ or 3.1 (less stable), simple, efficiency, easy to configure, fast, run on kick1.3 as well as 3.1... it remember several directory listing (10 per windows). One of my essential tools

PS : done by Toni Wilen, don't know if it's the same that made WinUae

Same here. Always did everything I wanted, so never really looked at anything else
i totally agree...most simple and powerful tool...shame it's not listed for the poll
Old 21 April 2006, 19:31   #26
mr_a500
Amiga-based Cyborg

Quote:
i totally agree...most simple and powerful tool...shame it's not listed for the poll
It's not there because I totally forgot about it (and I don't know how to edit the poll). Just vote for "other".

I tried FileMaster a few years ago and I tried version 3 yesterday. I couldn't quite get it configured the way I want it. I still think ABCdir, DirWork and Ordering are better.
Old 21 April 2006, 19:34   #27
Mick_AKA
crusader of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by pTah
my favourite is definitely MaxonTools2. i never liked diropus...
it's fast, functional, looks good and very easy to use!!!
try this one.
(... i'm not sure but i think that there's only a german version available...)

Ooooh think ive used MaxonTools, anyone got a screenshot?
Old 21 April 2006, 19:53   #28
sarek2k
E.A.B Addict and Proud

Send a message via MSN to sarek2k
Dopus for me too but on a disk with other utils i would use Filemaster too very simple and very effective In the Early days i used Diskmaster.
Old 21 April 2006, 20:59   #29
pTah
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick_AKA
Ooooh think ive used MaxonTools, anyone got a screenshot?
if you're really interested in it i can make one. i also made ADFs of it... maybe you want to see this one again on your amiga.

i love it
Old 21 April 2006, 21:25   #30
Dan

Hello , i always used Dopus , see screenshots.
too bad , i dont have the config prog for it -.-

Last edited by Dan; 20 September 2020 at 15:58.
Old 21 April 2006, 23:06   #31
Rick Dangerous
Registered Playmate

CLI-Mate is a filemanager which is not mentioned yet.
Does anybody know it?
I still use it sometimes on the Amiga to copy files, view IFF-pictures or just to see what's on a disk. It's able to view and edit ascii-files.
CLI-Mate was created back in the late 80ies and offered the basic commands of the Amiga-Shell. The screen was split into two parts. The left part contained the source (normally DF0 and the other one was to be defined by the user (DF0,DF1,RAM)
If you defined the RAM as the destination you could use it for collecting the stuff to create a new disk.
If you need more info (for example screenshots) tell me and I try to post more. (I'll just need to run the Amiga!)

Cheers, Rick

Last edited by Rick Dangerous; 23 April 2006 at 00:15.
Old 22 April 2006, 00:37   #32
Mick_AKA
crusader of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by pTah
if you're really interested in it i can make one. i also made ADFs of it... maybe you want to see this one again on your amiga.

i love it
Hell yes, some ADFs would be awesome!
Old 22 April 2006, 12:39   #33
Ray Norrish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Dangerous
Does anybody know it?
I still use it sometimes on the Amiga to copy files, view IFF-pictures or just to see what's on a disk. It's able to view and edit ascii-files.
CLI-Mate was created back in the late 80ies and offered the basic commands of the Amiga-Shell. The screen was split into two parts. The left part contained the source (normally DF0 and the other one was to be defined by the user (DF0,DF1,RAM and something more)
If you defined the RAM as the destination you could use it for collecting the stuff to create a new disk.
If you need more info (for example screenshots) tell me and I try to post more. (I'll just need to run the Amiga!)

Cheers, Rick
Yea, I remember CLIMate - it used to create the .fastdir file to facilitate directory caching. I think this was the first one I ever used.
Old 22 April 2006, 12:41   #34
SilentBob

Originally it was Diskmaster (from the time I bought my Amiga, up until around 1992), after that I switched to Dopus and used it ever since.
Old 22 April 2006, 13:01   #35
BippyM
Global Moderator

Dopus 4 is the best (IMO) version. V5+ went too far and became a workbench replacement and was difficult to initally configure.

Dopus 4 once configured beame extremely powerful and useful.. It isn't a resource hog or anything like that.. Was by far the best at its job!
Old 22 April 2006, 13:26   #36
Rick Dangerous
Registered Playmate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Norrish
Yea, I remember CLIMate - it used to create the .fastdir file to facilitate directory caching. I think this was the first one I ever used.
Back then in the late 80ies I combined CLImate together with "Cygnus Editor" and "White Lightning" on one disk. For me it was an 'all purpose disk' regarding copying and editing. Here's a screenshot of CLImate in WinUAE:
Old 22 April 2006, 14:35   #37
DopPie
Zone Friend

I voted Dopus. Thats what I use most. However I can see a clear advantage of ABC-Dir in the screenshot. Because it has the buttons in the middel it uses up more space in width. While dopus having buttons below the filelists it uses up more space in the height. Therfore ABC-Dir might have the edge when 640x256 is the maximum screen realestate.
Old 22 April 2006, 15:48   #38
Graham Humphrey

Again I'd say Dopus 4 is the best - I think the problem with Dopus 5 for me is that it really needs a large non-interlaced screenmode, and if you can't use one it's a waste of time. Interlace is great for graphics but it's a nightmare for text, it's been the cause of more than a few headaches.
Old 22 April 2006, 17:24   #39
mr_a500
Amiga-based Cyborg

Quote:
I voted Dopus. Thats what I use most. However I can see a clear advantage of ABC-Dir in the screenshot. Because it has the buttons in the middel it uses up more space in width. While dopus having buttons below the filelists it uses up more space in the height. Therfore ABC-Dir might have the edge when 640x256 is the maximum screen realestate.
Actually ABCdir doesn't use up more width, it just uses a smaller font. It is actually 640x425 in my screenshot (unfortunately the width is fixed). But it's not just about size. Having 2 rows of small buttons in the middle means you have to move the mouse less distance to do everything (not up & down the whole time). And the volume buttons over the list windows is nice too.

I don't know if anyone noticed but that block above the middle buttons is a "scroller" that allows you to flip to the next page of middle buttons - so you can define as many as you want and flip (I defined 2 "pages" of buttons). And you can copy in either direction - left list to right or right to left. You can even define 2 actions for each filetype - one on doubleclick, one on left-right click.

I don't mean this to be an advertisement for ABCdir, but I love it. If there's something better, I definitely want to get it.

Last edited by mr_a500; 22 April 2006 at 17:39.
Old 22 April 2006, 23:40   #40
Frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Dangerous
Does anybody know it?
CLI-Mate was created back in the late 80ies and offered the basic commands of the Amiga-Shell. The screen was split into two parts. The left part contained the source (normally DF0 and the other one was to be defined by the user (DF0,DF1,RAM and something more)

Cheers, Rick
i used it in the past too, a great tool. then i used Diskmaster and then Filemaster Dopus 4 a bit too but i always return to Filemaster