English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 23 July 2018, 21:44   #1
Stratplayer

Evil grin Recovered my hdload install but it wont work ?

Hi I booted my Amiga about 4 times and the hard drive went bad, tried to recover some folders, I can see some of my games and recovered them, whizzkid, that is the game I want to play the most Infact I bought a real game off Ebay and the disk spins for one second then stops on my A1200, I cant get the new classic workbench on WinUAE to start my whizzkid Whdload game, I have all the files in the folder. I loaded my original games onto whdload on my 1200 so the disks I bought must be duff. On a plus note I bought Amiga forever value, and they have a 3.1 rom and workbench 3.1 in the shared folder, I was under the impression it only had 1.1,1.2,1.3 roms so that was a bonus. So my question is I installed to a real Amiga 1200 harddrive in around 2006 and I am trying to get the folder to work on my WinUAE classic workbench, is that the reason whdload won't work ? or is it a simple case that I need to reinstall with the disks that won't read so I can't install whizzkid anyway.

Last edited by Stratplayer; 23 July 2018 at 22:07.
Old 28 July 2018, 00:26   #2
AC/DC HACKER!

That's a bit convoluted, but I think I follow you. A lot of missing information. eBay is not a good place to buy much stuff, if if the price was low then.. I doubt the disks are bad, if original. All of my originals are still very functional, and I have over 500.

Workbench will run well as long a everything is copied correctly or cloned correctly. If anything was missed, or corrupted, then perhaps now...depending if it's an OS requirement. WHDLoad always functions fine if a game's data is in good shape or installed correctly.

I don't know how you're transferring your data... Connected the Hard Drive to a USB connection? Maybe by way of FTP? A lot of unknowns..and possibilities from your end missing.

As for floppy on real A1200, it might need to be cleaned or replaced totally? Also check the Disks or dirt.. Not everyone using eBay is honest, I've encountered a few just just wanted to make a quick-buck and that was it...they didn't actually TEST or check anything as they claimed. Go to AmiBay, much better.

My HD Floppy drive doesn't "format" HD (High Density) anymore, but read them fine. I should get a new one because I still use my A4000 often. But my Normal Amiga floppy drives are functioning very well still. I also insert and eject carefully, never allow floppies to just "slam" into place. I learned that early on before the later 90's.
Old 29 July 2018, 14:35   #3
Tomislav

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratplayer View Post
Hi I booted my Amiga about 4 times and the hard drive went bad, ...
Backup?
You can make image of your hard drive from WinUAE. While adding hard drive in "Harddrive Settings" is button "Create hard disk image file".
Old 29 July 2018, 16:22   #4
Hewitson

If the hard drive has indeed failed, dd_rescue would be your best bet of being able to recover the data (assuming there is anything worth recovering, of course).

Why have you not included the error message given by WHDLoad in your post?

Pre-installed WHDLoad games are available from several sites including www.whdownload.com - you could try the Wizkid from there to eliminate potentially duff disks.

Lastly, please use paragraphs in future posts. Large blocks of text like that are very difficult to read.