English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene > Member Introductions

Old 03 January 2020, 05:47   #1
sirnephilim

Amiga noob, retro veteran

Just joined today after a bit of lurking. I never owned an Amiga back in the day but they've been a semi obsession of mine for a few years now - I'm astounded at the amazing platform I totally missed out on for having lived in the US in a PC dominated household.

I just recently (last week) finished refurbing an A600 that was rusted all to heck and had video issues on the composite and RF outputs (the former solved by sandpaper and WD-40, the latter by removing both connectors from the board because they suck rocks.) Got it for a song and with a SCART adapter connected to my OSSC the display is excellent. It now features a Furia 40MHz board, HxC floppy emulator and SD hard drive. I also replaced all external connectors on the board due to rust. Still waiting on a USB mouse and keyboard adapter (I plan to save the case and keyboard after retrobriting and do some manner of DIY case with external keyboard.)

I also use a MiSTer FPGA as an "A1200" for AGA games though I much prefer working with real hardware where possible. That said I love what the MiSTer is capable of and will probably sing its praises on this board, however heretical that might be.

I'm an old hand with retro modding, my bona fides are an SNES Jr. RGB modded without using a third party board, Ultimate 486 build with hand modded Yamaha YMF-719 sound card, modchipped PS1 with PSIO and PS2, Hi-Def NES, Model 1 Genesis modded for Model 2 DIN and Triple Bypass, Gamecube with internal HDMI mod and modchip, and a MiSTer FPGA with hand soldered 128MB SDRAM board.

Suffice to say I'm handy with fine pitch and micro soldering, really want to try my luck at building a scratch kit A4000 when I have the time and cash. I've also been into computers and console gaming since the mid 80's (natch) with special focus on making hardware do neat things it wasn't necessarily meant to do.

In short, happy to greet you all and hope to share wisdom with the other graybeards on the board.
Old 04 January 2020, 23:02   #2
bohemist

Welcome to the forum!
Old 04 January 2020, 23:09   #3
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Welcome to the forum sirnephilim !
and, as well, an happy new year
Old 06 January 2020, 12:57   #4
chip

Welcome !

And good new year 2020